Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Masters of Cinema Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Masters of Cinema Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-12, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Official Masters of Cinema Blu-ray Thread

DVD Beaver review of Insect Woman
Old 02-24-12, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Brilliant.
Old 02-25-12, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan

Brilliant.
So they are releasing it on Blu-ray after all?
Old 02-27-12, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Regarding Der Tiger von Eschnapur / Das indische Grabmal:

Not for 2012, but don't rule out 2013!
Old 02-28-12, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-28-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MoC
DIE NIBELUNGEN will be out before Xmas
Finally!
Old 03-12-12, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD Beaver on The Gospel...
Old 03-22-12, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Limited edition quad posters
Old 03-27-12, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MoC on Facebook
Eureka Entertainment are very pleased to announce the acquisition of rights to a sparkling new HD restoration of one of the great silent films – one of the most controversial films of all time – D. W. Griffith's THE BIRTH OF A NATION.

The film tells the story of the American Civil War and its aftermath, as seen through the eyes of two families. The 1915 film has shocked audiences with its attitudes towards race yet remains one of the defining films of the silent era.

THE BIRTH OF A NATION will join Eureka's Masters of Cinema Series, the home of classic silent movies, and will be released later in the year on Blu-ray for the first time in a dual format (DVD & Blu-ray) edition.
Old 03-27-12, 12:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a ps3 but I really, really need to invest in an all-region blu-ray player. Damn you MoC!
Old 03-28-12, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EEz28
I have a ps3 but I really, really need to invest in an all-region blu-ray player. Damn you MoC!
Best way to go is a blu ray drive, IMO.

I really need to get one.

On another note, I cannot belive KINO screwed up the release of Metropolis vs MoC

KINO has English intertitles whereas MoC has the original German ones with English subs.
Old 03-28-12, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^
Kino always uses English intertitles on their silents, unfortunately. That's one of the reasons I'd always choose the MoC disc over the Kino one back in the DVD days - the MoC version would invariably include superior cover art and a nice fat booklet as well.
Old 03-28-12, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
^
Kino always uses English intertitles on their silents, unfortunately. That's one of the reasons I'd always choose the MoC disc over the Kino one back in the DVD days - the MoC version would invariably include superior cover art and a nice fat booklet as well.
Damn. Wonder why. You would think they would know better.
Old 04-24-12, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember hearing something about this collection when it first came out, but I quickly forgot about it. I need to get a region free BD player or drive for my computer. I want that Repo Man BD. Ugh! Why can't Criterion release one that looks that good.
Old 04-24-12, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DVD Beaver on Ugetsu Monogatari
Old 04-24-12, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ugetsu/Oyu-Sama and Sansho Dayu/Gion Bayashi reviews at The Digital Fix
Old 04-24-12, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't afford the upgrades right now (just bought a new 3-D TV), but I'll be all over both Mizoguchi double-features once they're cheaper on Amazon.
Old 04-30-12, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From MoC's Twitter page:

In August 2012: Very proud to announce limited-edition Blu-ray only (+SteelBook edition) of... Francis Ford Coppola's RUMBLE FISH!

In September 2012, a Dual Format (+ SteelBook) upgrade edition, in beautiful 1080p, of Fritz Lang's towering DAS TESTAMENT DES DR. MABUSE!

In September 2012, very happy to announce a Dual Format (+ SteelBook) of Cecil B. DeMille's completely deranged 1934 masterpiece, CLEOPATRA!

In September 2012: Dual Format edition of Pier Paolo Pasolini's OEDIPUS REX [EDIPO RE]!
I'm holding out hope for an eventual Pasolini box set, but I can't wait for Cleopatra! I may upgrade the Lang once the price drops. Not too much interest in Rumble Fish, though I do think it's an underrated film. MoC is really banging out the steelbooks now.
Old 04-30-12, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh WOW, Rumble Fish! I realize some people think it's messy and indulgent and slightly pretentious, and it is, but in the best way, as some of Coppola's best films are (Apocalypse Now, Dracula, One From the Heart). Can't wait for that.

Between this and Repo Man (the first MOC I ever picked up), I'm eager to see what else the company scored with their Universal deal.
Old 04-30-12, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
Between this and Repo Man (the first MOC I ever picked up), I'm eager to see what else the company scored with their Universal deal.
So far:

Cleopatra
Island of Lost Souls
Lost Weekend
Double Indemnity
Ruggles of Red Gap
Repo Man
Rumble Fish
Touch of Evil
Silent Running
Two-Lane Blacktop

That may be all of them.
Old 04-30-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yay for the Pasolinis and Cleopatra!

I really like most of Pasolini's films, and most of them have been treated pretty horrendously on DVD (at least in R1) - so I love seeing them get the deluxe MoC treatment.

I haven't seen Rumble Fish, but I'll definitely check it out.

Last edited by Sondheim; 04-30-12 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-30-12, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In this second of Francis Ford Coppola's back-to-back screen adaptations of novels by S. E. Hinton, the grand romanticism of The Outsiders was flipped to create an expressionist, monochrome vision of youthful passion and melancholy, and became one of Coppola's most personal and dazzling works.

Against a run-down, industrial Tulsa, Oklahoma, Coppola presents a vivid portrait of troubled teenage gang leader Rusty James (Matt Dillon) as he struggles with cohorts, rival gangs, his frustrated girlfriend Patty (Diane Lane), his estranged father (Dennis Hopper), and the return of his idolised older brother The Motorcycle Boy (Mickey Rourke).

An audacious depiction of gang violence, dead-end lives, and the ties that bind, Rumble Fish remains a cult favourite and features magnificent cinematography by Stephen H. Burum, a Golden Globe-winning score by Stewart Copeland, and a remarkable cast that also includes Nicolas Cage, Chris Penn, Tom Waits, and Laurence Fishburne. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present the world-première release of Rumble Fish on Blu-ray & Blu-ray SteelBook.

SPECIAL BLU-RAY EDITION FEATURES:

• New HD transfer of the film officially licensed from Universal and presented in 1080p in its original aspect ratio
• Original stereo and 5.1 surround soundtracks, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio
• Music and effects track
• Audio commentary by Francis Ford Coppola
• On Location in Tulsa, a video piece featuring new and vintage interviews and behind-the-scenes footage
• The Percussion-Based Score, a video piece on the film's soundtrack
• Six deleted scenes
• Original theatrical trailer
• English subtitles for the deaf and hearing-impaired on the feature
• PLUS: A lavish booklet featuring the words of Francis Ford Coppola, rare archival imagery, and more…

Also available as a Limited Edition SteelBook edition:

A pre-code film that sneaked onto screens just as the censorious Hays Office began cracking down on Hollywood's racier propositions, Cleopatra is a libertine paean to decadence and depravity that can still send a viewer's mind reeling and pulse thumping all courtesy of the Golden Age's swampiest psychosexual auteur, Cecil B. DeMille (The Ten Commandments; The Greatest Show on Earth; The King of Kings).

Claudette Colbert (It Happened One Night; The Palm Beach Story; Drums Along the Mohawk) presides over the most outrageous spectacle this side of The Scarlet Empress as the eponymous pharaoh queen who speeds from Julius Caesar (Warren William) to Marc Antony (Henry Wilcoxon), from Egypt to Rome, from war-room to bedroom... The whiff of incense permeates every scene, with each connected to the next in a veritable matrix of whips, blindfolds, and bindings the crazed arrangement laying bare all the fetish inklings of the moving-picture dream.

Lavishly produced with some of the most inspired waxing-moon photography and unwholesome set-design to come out of the studio system, DeMille's film is an erotic tour-de-force that obliges us to re-examine the appeal of this most popular of Hollywood directors. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Cleopatra for the very first time on Blu-ray, in a Dual Format (Blu-ray + DVD) edition.

SPECIAL DUAL FORMAT (BLU-RAY + DVD) EDITION FEATURES:

• Gorgeous HD transfer of the film officially licensed from Universal and presented in its original aspect ratio, in 1080p on the Blu-ray
• Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Original theatrical trailer
• Lavish booklet featuring the words of Cecil B. DeMille, rare archival imagery, and more
• More features to be announced closer to release date!

Also available as a Limited Edition SteelBook:

Three years after The Gospel According to Matthew, Pier Paolo Pasolini resumed his series of classical adaptations with a savage, highly personal take on Sophocles’ ancient Greek tragedy Oedipus Rex [Edipo Re]. As his first colour feature, Oedipus Rex makes brilliant use of wildly alternating Moroccan landscapes to transpose collective myth into a particular vision that is at once tender, sensual, and wholly unsparing.

The film is divided into three sections set in different eras. The opening takes place in 1920s Italy, and recounts a birth that echoes that of the director himself, the product of a beautiful bourgeoise’s affair with a military officer. The mid section depicts a time “outside of history” – it is here that the myth of Oedipus (portrayed by Franco Citti of Accattone and Coppola’s The Godfather), one of patricide and incest, plays out opposite the young man’s mother/lover (Silvana Mangano). An epilogue shot on the streets of present-day Bologna finds Oedipus playing his flute for a bustling citizenry.

With its kinetic handheld camerawork and strikingly primeval costumes, Pasolini’s film rattles its art-genre framework in the enduring quest to exorcise repressive emotional forces. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Pier Paolo Pasolini’s Oedipus Rex for the very first time on Blu-ray, in a Dual Format (Blu-ray + DVD) edition.

SPECIAL FEATURES:

• Gorgeous new HD restoration of the film in its original aspect ratio, in 1080p on the Blu-ray
• Newly translated optional English subtitles
• Original Italian theatrical trailer
• 28-PAGE BOOKLET featuring vintage writing by Pasolini, excerpts from an interview with the director by Oswald Stack about the film, and rare archival imagery
Old 05-04-12, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just received my region-free Oppo in the mail today; I can't wait to start getting some of these...
Old 05-05-12, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
I just received my region-free Oppo in the mail today; I can't wait to start getting some of these...
In my experience, these Eureka disks play on my Panasonic machine (BD30) but not on my PS3. I did have issues with two video features on Imamura disks where audio played but no video reached my monitor. That may be correctable.

I would like a region free Oppo tho. Eventually, i may have to replace my Oppo DVD players. I live in USA.
Old 05-09-12, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
Congratulations. I love mine. I highly recommend the Touch of Evil set.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.