Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD-Rs on Blu-ray players?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 09-01-09, 08:41 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to convert my old VHS and some family videos to DVD-R. But my concern is Blu-ray players not playing the DVD-Rs. Most specs that I've read for Blu-ray players state that they support DVD-R format but I've learned to never trust what I read. I rather ask the people who own a Blu-ray player and watch or have tried to watch DVD-Rs on them. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-01-09, 08:46 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: DVD-Rs on Blu-ray players?

I don't think there's any one blu-ray standard that says it has to play only DVD-R or DVD+R. You may want to just google specs for whatever player you may be interested in. I did that for the PS3 and got this:

DVD Disc media (read only):

PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM
PLAYSTATION 3 DVD-ROM
DVD-Video: DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW

Not sure why you think they would lie on a manual, but I have a PS3 and it does play DVD-R's, as I have burned movies onto them before. I usually use DVD+R's since they're usually on sale.
Old 09-01-09, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've had a bunch of players and they all played DVD-R without any problems.
Old 09-01-09, 08:54 AM
Banned

Great looks like I'm set! Thanks!
Old 09-01-09, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

DVD-R is generally more compatible than DVD+R for some reason....I've never been able to find simple-to-understand differences between the + and - of any recordable disc format. (why for example is there no CD+R? Or is there? ) All I know is that the DVD-R is from the group that developed the DVD format whereas DVD+R isn't. But that doesn't explain why one is different from the other. I've used both for file storage and the homemade DVDs extensively.

The only playback issue I've had with PS3 and burned discs is sometimes if you have made a 5.1 track there is sometimes a slight distortion from time to time. The distortion sounds like a slightly damaged CD that doesn't outright skip, but has a noticeable bump in the sound. I made a custom version of "TITANIC" where I restored the deleted scenes into the film, and PS3 has that issue with the Dolby EX audio that a normal DVD player does not. I have no idea why other than maybe it has to do with HDMI or the console's conversion-to-PCM output through that.

Last edited by Nick Martin; 09-01-09 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-01-09, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My SONY BDP350 plays them just fine as did my 300. I've only had one SDDVD player not play them. I had a Toshiba that supposedly played them but always pixelated and froze so I had to replace it.
Old 09-02-09, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

I've heard that some Blu players won't play DVD+Rs, but I've never experienced it myself. (I've only ever recorded on DVD-Rs.)
Old 09-02-09, 07:52 AM
Banned

Yea I stick with DVD-R too just because they are more compatible. I'm glad to hear that I should be fine playing them on my Blu-ray player.
Old 09-02-09, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
My SONY BDP350 plays them just fine...
Ditto.
Old 09-02-09, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

The Samsung player I have has had no problems with either DVD-R or DVD+R.
Old 09-04-09, 07:55 AM
Banned

How do they look? The VHS/family videos I recorded to DVD-R look pretty good on a standard DVD Player/Standard TV. Do they hold up on a Blu-ray player/HD TV? And does the Blu-ray player "upgrade" them at all like they do a standard DVD?
Old 09-04-09, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The size of the TV will have more to do with the quality than the player. As you blow the image up larger it will suffer degredation. Upscaling will help. For home movies it will look no worse than VHS and you have the convenience of DVD. I used to burn a lot of movies but once I went to Blu-ray I don't bother anymore. Too spoiled by the quality.
Old 09-04-09, 09:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JimRochester
The size of the TV will have more to do with the quality than the player. As you blow the image up larger it will suffer degredation. Upscaling will help. For home movies it will look no worse than VHS and you have the convenience of DVD. I used to burn a lot of movies but once I went to Blu-ray I don't bother anymore. Too spoiled by the quality.
How did they look? As good as a standard DVD looks on a Blu-ray player/HD TV or as good as they looked on a normal TV? My wife's father burns DVDs all the time and I borrow them from him to watch from time to time. Will I notice and huge difference than if I was watching them on a standard TV in a standard player? Or can I expect the same quality? The Blu-ray/HD TV wont make them look worse will it? (with the exception of enlarging the picture of course).
Old 09-04-09, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Movies burned from DVD's are another subject altogether. Although mentioning DVD-r movies in passing is tolerated, the detailed discussion and appearance of promoting anything that could be construed as violating copyright laws is prohibited.

If it was made from a VHS it can look no better than the original source material. WIll it look OK? Sure. It won't look great but if it's home movies who cares? It's better than screwing around with VHS tapes. If it's VHS movies I wouldn't bother, the quality will suck and DVD's are at such bargains it doesn't make sense to waste your time.
Old 09-04-09, 12:07 PM
Banned

i do not burn dvds. though i have thought of backing up some rare limited edition oop titles i own in case they get damaged in anyway. and from what i have read backing up your own media is ok. so that is why the quality of burnt dvds on a HD TV/Blu-ray player could end up being a concern to me in the future.
And thanks for all the VHS/home movie to DVD help. Looks like I'm good there!
Old 09-04-09, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is nothing inherent in a Blu-ray player and HDTV which would make it inferior to an older gear setup. Anytime you increase the size of the screen you'll make any issues more noticeable but the better equipement will always make it look it's best.
Old 09-08-09, 03:16 AM

My Panasonic plays DVD-+R and DVD+RW discs. It plays discs recorded from VHS to a DVD Recorder as well as discs authored on a PC. It also plays AVCHD camcorder videos from DVD-R.
Old 09-08-09, 05:38 AM

If you use a computer to make your dvds, use dvd+r discs, and you can "Booktype" them to be dvd-rom, and make them much more compatible with players. Making them dvd-roms, makes them more like a store bought movie, which we know plays on about all players.

My stepfather had a dvd player that wouldn't play dvd-r or dvd+r discs. When I learned to "booktype" to dvd rom, I tried one of the booktyped discs in his player, and it played flawlessly. Dvd-r cannot be booktyped...........
http://www.k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php

If you're using a standalone dvd recorder, you can't booktype, and nothing much you can do about discs that won't play in your player.

Last edited by emoxley; 09-08-09 at 05:53 AM.