Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the future for Star Trek seasons on BD?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

What's the future for Star Trek seasons on BD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-09, 08:16 PM
cko
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's the future for Star Trek seasons on BD?

man, it would be so cool to see a TNG and DS9 in HD when they never were to begin with. I wonder how detailed the kept notes on which take they used in the edit, etc.

also, doing effects on the level of those series shouldn't be that hard...you see some fan made films with reasonably good spaceship effects now, and those are done by people at home. once they have the ship models done, most of the shows should be relatively easy to show the enterprise going into orbit, etc. wonder if they did any green screen stuff in the holodeck or other. that would prob be a lot more work.

Last edited by cko; 06-23-09 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-09-11, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally today, we've got a little something for you Trekkies. Consider it very Rumor Mill-worthy, as nothing has been officially announced (though that may change soon - more in a minute). But a lot of you have been asking us if Star Trek: The Next Generation - Remastered is ever going to happen. We've mentioned previously that tests on the feasibility of the project have been on-going at CBS for some time, and one of the key concerns has been cost. (Click here and scroll down a bit.) Well, today we've got an update for you...

As some of you may be aware, a few months ago Netflix signed a non-exclusive deal with CBS allowing them to digitally stream the entire Star Trek library to their customers, along with popular ancillary titles like MacGyver. Well, that arrangement definitely tripped our sensors. Not only is that financial incentive for TNG Remastered to move forward, but the fact that J.J. Abrams' big-screen Trek sequel is likely to start shooting in September (for theatrical release next year) provides a sufficient marketing/cross-promotional incentive too. So after several months of looking into this, our industry sources have finally begun hinting that TNG Remastered IS moving forward and that Netflix (and possibly Paramount's Epix cable channel, which has a strong relationship with the streaming service) may be the first place you'll finally see it - in HD - starting sometime in the fall. Meanwhile, SD TNG episodes will begin appearing on Netflix in July. Trek Movie posted this a month ago:

"Netflix confirmed they will be streaming every episode of every season for all five live-action Star Trek series: the original Star Trek, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager, and Star Trek: Enterprise. TOS, TNG, Voyager and Enterprise will all become available on July 1st. DS9 will launch on October 1st. TOS and Enterprise will be available in HD."

While Deep Space Nine and Voyager are unlikely to generate the kind of revenue to justify a Remastered redo effort (and Enterprise is already available in HD), we believe a high-definition film scan of The Next Generation is very likely in the cards for the entire series run, along with the requisite digitally-upgraded effects. Of course, in addition to syndication and streaming, the end result of all this might be a Next Generation: Remastered Blu-ray release down the line. So if all goes well, you could be spinning Picard and Data on disc in glorious HD by this time next year. In any case, we'll post additional updates on this as they come in. Our best guess: Watch for official news to break at Comic-Con in July.

http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents
Old 05-09-11, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
Crossing fingers that this indeed comes to pass, I was allready super excited about Netflix having all the series available for streaming this year, it will be even better if we are indeed going to start geting TNG episodes remasterd in HD on there as well.

Ive never been a fan of renting movies/tv shows. But Ive been very impressed with Netflixs streaming service since I got my sony 3D BD player via that Disney movie rewards incentive last winter.
There have been a good number of movies on there in HD that are not yet on bluray yet, and hereing the trek news makes it even better
Old 05-10-11, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I'm going to fall into the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp. That's a lot of episodes and a lot of money for what I'm guessing won't be "huge" sales. I'm more likely to believe some kind of "upconvert" method that the studio has come up with that will take the episodes as-is and make them "faux HD".
Old 05-10-11, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I'm going to fall into the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp. That's a lot of episodes and a lot of money for what I'm guessing won't be "huge" sales. I'm more likely to believe some kind of "upconvert" method that the studio has come up with that will take the episodes as-is and make them "faux HD".
I could see them cherry-picking a certain number of episodes (most popular, highest regarded, most special effects-heavy, etc) and giving those the HD remaster treatment, but doing it for all 178 episodes seems like a monstrous task.
Old 05-10-11, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I could see them cherry-picking a certain number of episodes (most popular, highest regarded, most special effects-heavy, etc) and giving those the HD remaster treatment, but doing it for all 178 episodes seems like a monstrous task.
So something like this as a BD trial balloon? That would be very Paramount.

Old 05-11-11, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Somehow it's perfectly appropriate that DS9 would be the one damn series to get screwed out of the 1 July launch date on Netflix. I'd be confused if it wasn't still the red-headed stepchild of the Star Trek family. Oh, well. At least I know for a fact that whenever I talk about DS9 with another self-avowed fan I know they're legit and not bandwagon fans.

As for TNG in HD, I'm indifferent, honestly. I still haven't gotten to the last three seasons on DVD. I'm more hopeful that this will lead to that show finally becoming available on iTunes (it's the only one of the series that has not been released for sale digitally to date). I don't have many Trek episodes on my iPod, but there are a few TNG episodes I'd like to add to my small assortment.

In the meantime, I'm just happy this all kicks in just in time for the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge. I'm not going to gorge exclusively on Star Trek, but I know I'll be streaming some of this stuff anyway, and at least that month's challenge will accept those viewings!
Old 05-15-11, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Count me in the "i'll believe it when I see it" camp. I personally dont stream any content, so I couldnt really care less about what netflix is getting. What I am interested in is blue ray releases for the series. Not gonna rebuy stuff I already have on dvd, TNG and DS9, but ultimately I would like to own all the series. Already ahve TOS on blue.
Old 05-15-11, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Depending on the price I'd probably pick up all of the Treks on Blu other than Voyager. I for sure am interested in getting The Next Generation though and hope they actually start putting them out!
Old 05-15-11, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Admittedly, I've never been into the later Star Trek shows, but my girlfriend is a massive TNG fan, so I could see her wanting this if it were to come to fruition. With that said, I'm also planted in the "I'll believe it when I see it" category.