Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-17, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

I'm crossing my fingers so hard that this Barry Lyndon release will be from a new 4K master.
Old 07-17-17, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
So strange... you'd think Lost Highway would be a bit higher on the priority list... dammit.
Yup
Old 07-17-17, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I don't see what their FWWM could bring to the table that the blu-ray set of the series doesn't already have.
This will make them some money in the wake of Twin Peaks return to television. Remember, they put out Armageddon.
Old 07-17-17, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sb5
Yeah, I don't get FWWM at all here

I'm also confused about Mad, Mad World rerelease. It is it just the same release again with the DVDs removed (it was originally released during the dual format era), or is there something new about this release (more footage found?).
Probably just removing dvd and going to the keepcase like they have for other titles.
Old 07-17-17, 02:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Stoked on Barry Lyndon - the current blu-ray is a bit lacking and I expect Criterion to knock it out of the park.

I don't see what their FWWM could bring to the table that the blu-ray set of the series doesn't already have.
Agreed on both, Barry Lyndon is a must have but I see no reason for FWWM. The full Twin Peaks set has the film with terrific A/V plus all the deleted scenes, it's not like Lynch is suddenly going to do a commentary.
Old 07-17-17, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Agreed on both, Barry Lyndon is a must have but I see no reason for FWWM. The full Twin Peaks set has the film with terrific A/V plus all the deleted scenes, it's not like Lynch is suddenly going to do a commentary.
The Criterion release will be the director-approved 'no chapter stops' version.

Just for fun- watch it on your cell phone!
Old 07-17-17, 04:19 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Surprised they didn't do the NOTLD for October.
Old 07-17-17, 04:41 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Specs for FWWM:

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION:
• Restored 4K digital transfer, supervised by director David Lynch
• 7.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray, supervised by Lynch
• Alternate original 2.0 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray
• The Missing Pieces, ninety minutes of deleted and alternate takes from the film, assembled by Lynch
• New interview with actor Sheryl Lee
• Interviews from 2014 by Lynch with actors Lee, Ray Wise, and Grace Zabriskie
• More!
• PLUS: An interview with Lynch from the 2005 edition of filmmaker and writer Chris Rodley’s book Lynch on Lynch
Old 07-17-17, 04:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Are all of the special features and specs from the Fire Walk With Me blu-ray the same as the release that was part of the Twin Peaks complete set a couple years ago? It seems to have the same 90 minutes of deleted scenes supervised by Lynch and cats interviews. The question is whether the 4k scan is new to Criterion, or the same as the one on the previous blu-ray included on the complete tv series blu-ray set.
Old 07-17-17, 04:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I suspect it's the same transfer. This just looks like a standalone release of the box set disc but with a Criterion menu.
Old 07-17-17, 04:54 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Yup. It seems like they are just selling it for people who want to buy it individually. Though I would assume anyone who wanted it, already has it with the box set. You're essentially just paying for the Criterion label...
Old 07-17-17, 05:18 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

It says "New" interview with Sheryl Lee, so...there's that.
Old 07-17-17, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Glad they're still getting license deals with the studios, but still disappointed they're doing titles that already have decent releases.

So Personal Shopper is the third Criterion release starring Kristen Stewart. Not something I expected.

I think I asked before but didn't get a response... any word if Criterion will be releasing anything on UHD-BD? Or is that too much of a niche within a niche within a niche?
Old 07-17-17, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
any word if Criterion will be releasing anything on UHD-BD? Or is that too much of a niche within a niche within a niche?
The official word is "no plans at this time". It took Criterion two and a half years after Blu-ray's launch to put out their first BDs (when home video was in much better shape as well!), so if they ever release a UHD BD, I'd be surprised if it were any time soon.
Old 07-17-17, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Definitely in for The Lure & Personal Shopper!
Old 07-17-17, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn it. Can we get some Lost Highway or what?
Old 07-17-17, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Barry Lyndon is LITERALLY my most wanted Criterion title. Maybe next we'll get Lolita, the other Warner/Kubrick title that never had a SE.

Count me as another one who's puzzled at Fire. Are there actually people who want the movie, but won't buy the series? How about The Elephant Man, or Wild at Heart, or The Straight Story, or Lost Highway, or INLAND EMPIRE? None of those are even on BD yet(at least in the US).
Old 07-17-17, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Yeah FWWM is a head scratcher. David Lynch was a notoriously hard get for Criterion, as far as participating with them for the Eraserhead and Mulholland Drive releases, could FWWM be some sort of favor or request for/from David Lynch? Does Lynch maybe have some kind of vested interest in the release that isn't known? I'm baffled. It'll be the easiest 'pass' in Criterion history for me.

Stoked for Barry Lyndon though.

Also, I'm interested in seeing "The Lure". Never even heard of it before today.
Old 07-18-17, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfunk1
Are all of the special features and specs from the Fire Walk With Me blu-ray the same as the release that was part of the Twin Peaks complete set a couple years ago? It seems to have the same 90 minutes of deleted scenes supervised by Lynch and cats interviews. The question is whether the 4k scan is new to Criterion, or the same as the one on the previous blu-ray included on the complete tv series blu-ray set.
I never watched the Special Features. Do the cats meow anything insightful?
Old 07-18-17, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Yeah, I read up and saw screen caps of The Lure and color me curious -- will probably blind buy it.
Old 07-18-17, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
The official word is "no plans at this time". It took Criterion two and a half years after Blu-ray's launch to put out their first BDs (when home video was in much better shape as well!), so if they ever release a UHD BD, I'd be surprised if it were any time soon.
They are most likely going to sit out as long as HDR remains, how shall I say, "not figured out" from the various versions to the calibration nightmares currently presented.

That plus I can imagine they are hesitant even using HDR, as it will no doubt create divide among film purists. I wouldn't mind seeing Criterion just stick to 4K and expanded color and dropping it altogether unless a director asks otherwise.

I personally can't see myself buying many Criterion titles over again though. This would be the third time for me and it's just too expensive.
Old 07-18-17, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, I read up and saw screen caps of The Lure and color me curious -- will probably blind buy it.
You can rent it on Amazon Digitally cheaply if you want to check it out before you buy it.

I personally loved the film.
Old 07-19-17, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
Barry Lyndon is LITERALLY my most wanted Criterion title.
I just hope that Criterion DOES NOT consult with Leon Vitali about any aspect of the video transfer, especially the aspect ratio.

Count me as another one who's puzzled at Fire. Are there actually people who want the movie, but won't buy the series? How about The Elephant Man, or Wild at Heart, or The Straight Story, or Lost Highway, or INLAND EMPIRE? None of those are even on BD yet(at least in the US).
Wild at Heart was released by Twilight Time a few years ago. Currently out of print, though.
Old 07-19-17, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
Barry Lyndon is LITERALLY my most wanted Criterion title.
Not figuratively, then?
Old 07-22-17, 04:59 AM

I picked up Multiple Maniacs last week from BN and I had no idea about the music changes. I don't remember it being discussed here at all, but I see now that there was some talk about it on the other forum.

I know that there's no way that they could afford the Elvis stuff, but I really wish they had put more effort into maybe finding soundalike songs (or hire
a band to create them) instead of the generic rockabilly instrumentals. Very disappointing. It makes those scenes a lot less of an assault on the senses.

Of course the restoration also makes the image way too clean, too.

So, this is nothing like I remember the film and I guess that's just how it's going to be. I may have to scour the interwebs for an illegitimate copy of the 80's VHS release.

With Waters saying there's more coming from Criterion, I can't even imagine they could touch Mondo Trasho. They'd have to do something similar with Pink Flamingos, Desperate Living or Female Trouble, too. If they do those titles, I really hope they put more thought into the music replacement.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.