Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Old 05-17-16, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Woman in the Dunes

Where's Pitfall & The Face of Another?
Old 05-17-16, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Chimes looks fascinating. From my reading, it appears to be a Shakespeare fanfic?
Old 05-17-16, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,169 Likes on 4,199 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieK
WOO-HOO!!!!

- New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Audio commentary from 2002 featuring director Robert Altman and producer David Foster
- New documentary on the making of the film, featuring actors René Auberjonois, Keith Carradine, and Michael Murphy; casting director Graeme Clifford; and script supervisor Joan Tewkesbury
- New conversation about the film and Altman’s career between film historians Cari Beauchamp and Rick Jewell
- Featurette from the film’s production, shot on location in 1970
- Q&A from 1999 with production designer Leon Ericksen, hosted by the Art Directors Guild Film Society
- Archival footage from interviews with cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond, in which he discusses his work on the film
- Gallery of stills from the set by photographer Steve Schapiro
- Excerpts from two 1971 episodes of The Dick Cavett Show featuring Altman and film critic Pauline Kael
- Trailer
PLUS: An essay by film critic Nathaniel Rich
Hell yeah, I'll buy that. Only like the fourth or fifth Warren Beatty film on Blu Ray. Shame that neither Beatty or Christie are anywhere on the supplements. Still a must-buy for me.
Old 05-17-16, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
a must-buy
Yes, sir.
Old 05-17-16, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

A great month...A Taste of Honey, Chimes at Midnight, Woman in the Dunes & McCabe & Mrs Miller are all must buys for me.
Old 05-18-16, 07:38 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Very excited for the Welles' and McCabe. But the price point for The Immortal Story should be adjusted, IMO.
Old 05-19-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Very excited for the Welles' and McCabe. But the price point for The Immortal Story should be adjusted, IMO.
I don't know, Immortal Story includes 2 versions of the film, a commentary, a 40 min doc and 3 interviews of unknown length. That's a pretty healthy package even if the main feature is only 60 min. Criterion has priced far lesser titles at $39.95.
Old 06-15-16, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In case you haven't figured it out, no announcement today. Something went screwy on Criterion's end, so the announcement will be on the 16th.
Old 06-16-16, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

•New 2K digital restoration, with 3.0 LCR DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•Audio commentary from 2006 featuring actor Barbara Parkins and journalist Ted Casablanca
•New interview with author Amy Fine Collins about author Jacqueline Susann and the film
•New video essay by critic Kim Morgan
•Footage of Marc Huestis Presents Sparkle Patty Sparkle!, a 2009 gala tribute to actor Patty Duke at the Castro Theatre in San Francisco
•A World Premiere Voyage and Jacqueline Susann and “Valley of the Dolls,” two promotional films from 1967
•Archival interviews
•Trailers and TV spots
•PLUS: An essay by film critic Glenn Kenny

•High-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•Audio commentary from 2003 featuring screenwriter Roger Ebert
•Audio commentary from 2006 featuring actors Dolly Read, Cynthia Myers, Harrison Page, John La Zar, and Erica Gavin
•New interview with filmmaker John Waters
•Archival interviews with writer, director, and producer Russ Meyer
•Q&A about the film from 1992 featuring Meyer, Ebert, La Zar, Read, and actors David Gurian, Charles Napier, Michael Blodgett, and Edy Williams
•Above, Beneath, and Beyond the Valley; Look On Up at the Bottom; The Best of Beyond; Sex, Drugs, Music and Murder; and Casey & Roxanne, five documentaries from 2006 about the making of the film, featuring the cast and crew
•Trailers and TV spots
•PLUS: An essay by film critic Glenn Kenny

Also presented are the longer theatrical versions of Dekalog’s fifth and sixth films: A Short Film About Killing and A Short Film About Love.

•New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-rays
•New high-definition digital restorations of A Short Film About Killing and A Short Film About Love, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-rays
•Selection of archival interviews with director Krzysztof Kieślowski, culled from footage from the 1987 production of Dekalog: Two, excerpts from the 1995 documentary A Short Film About “Dekalog,” and a 1990 audio recording from the National Film Theatre in London
•New program on the visual rhyming of Dekalog by film studies professor Annette Insdorf
•New and archival interviews with Dekalog cast and crew, including cowriter Krzysztof Piesiewicz, thirteen actors, three cinematographers, editor Ewa Smal, and Kieślowski’s confidante Hanna Krall
•Trailers
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay and film analyses by film scholar Paul Coates and excerpted reprints from Kieślowski on Kieślowski

•New, restored 2K digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•Audio commentary from 2005 featuring film historian Gregory Mank, with excerpts from an audio interview with actor Simone Simon
•Val Lewton: The Man in the Shadows, a 2008 feature-length documentary that explores the life and career of the legendary Hollywood producer
•Interview with director Jacques Tourneur from 1977
•New interview with cinematographer John Bailey about the look of the film
•Trailer
•PLUS: An essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien

•New, restored 4K digital transfer, approved by cinematographer Barry Sonnenfeld and filmmakers Joel and Ethan Coen, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•New conversation between Sonnenfeld and the Coens about the film’s look, featuring Telestrator video illustrations
•New conversation between author Dave Eggers and the Coens about the film’s production, from inception to release
•New interviews with composer Carter Burwell, sound mixer Skip Lievsay, and actors Frances McDormand and M. Emmet Walsh
•Trailers
•PLUS: An essay by novelist and critic Nathaniel Rich

•New, restored 4K digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
•New interview with critic Phillip Lopate about the evolution of director Kenji Mizoguchi’s style
•New English subtitle translation
•PLUS: An essay by film scholar Dudley Andrew
Old 06-16-16, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Nice!

I'm in for both Dolls' films, Cat People, and Blood Simple.
Old 06-16-16, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

What, no love for the Night Train to Munich upgrade?

Old 06-16-16, 03:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

typical --- and in regular fashion after having bought the import of 'Beyond the Valley of the Dolls' Criterion announces it ... oh well, on the plus side I at least get the second bonus movie "The Seven Minutes"
Old 06-16-16, 03:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

..is blood simple going to be the "directors cut" or the original cut?..if it's the "directors cut" then I will not be buying it, too many great scenes were cut from the "directors cut"..
Old 06-16-16, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Holy fuck, Dekalog!
Old 06-16-16, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Holy fuck, Dekalog!
Yes! I know it's been rumored for a long time, but that's huge.
Old 06-16-16, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by AMERICAN
..is blood simple going to be the "directors cut" or the original cut?..if it's the "directors cut" then I will not be buying it, too many great scenes were cut from the "directors cut"..
Since it's not mentioned in the Specs and Criterion's track record of release the filmaker's preferred Cut, it's safe to say it will be the Director's Cut.

I already have the barebone release and it's pretty good, so I'll be skipping it. I do like Criterion's cover though.
Old 06-16-16, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

There's also a Bluray only reissue of Zatoichi with a slightly lower price.
Old 06-16-16, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts

Dekalog and Blood Simple will be mine. Oh yes, oh yes.
Old 06-16-16, 08:46 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by AMERICAN
More importantly, will it include the full original cut, with Fred Astaire and Rosemary Clooney playing M. Emmett Walsh's parents/rulers of Bulgaria? Movie...magic.

Spoiler:
Reference to the fake commentary on the original DVD that I'm guessing isn't going to be ported over to the Criterion version.
Old 06-16-16, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My reaction to the announcement, the best I've seen in a long, long time.

Old 06-16-16, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

There are some great announcements in there. Most of them were a surprise to me. Dekalog is incredible news.
Old 06-16-16, 11:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

so wait, when is John Water's Multiple Maniacs coming out then??
Old 06-16-16, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Arrow Video's Beyond The Valley of the Dolls looked really great in Region B land:

http://doblu.com/2016/02/10/beyond-t...lu-ray-review/

I doubt Criterion betters the presentation. At best, they can match it.
Old 06-17-16, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I had no idea Criterion was working on a Decalogue set, or I would have sold my OOP dvd set while it still had some value.

I'm in for Decalogue, Blood Simple and Night Train To Munich.

I've seen Blood Simple probably 5 times since I originally saw it about 10 years ago. I watched it on dvd and blu ray and to be honest I don't know if I watched 2 different cuts. I can't recall. I guess the Coens really only want one cut seen because its not like Criterion has an aversion to releasing multiple cuts of a film. ( As evidenced by the upcoming The New World release with 3 seperate cuts).

Looks like the commentary from the blu release isn't being ported over, which is a shame I suppose. Even though I've never listened to it.

Criterion has been killing it lately. So many releases that have me excited. If they announce The Before Trilogy next month i'll shit myself.
Old 06-17-16, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
I've seen Blood Simple probably 5 times since I originally saw it about 10 years ago. I watched it on dvd and blu ray and to be honest I don't know if I watched 2 different cuts. I can't recall. I guess the Coens really only want one cut seen because its not like Criterion has an aversion to releasing multiple cuts of a film. ( As evidenced by the upcoming The New World release with 3 seperate cuts).

Looks like the commentary from the blu release isn't being ported over, which is a shame I suppose. Even though I've never listened to it.

Criterion has been killing it lately. So many releases that have me excited. If they announce The Before Trilogy next month i'll shit myself.
The commentary is a "spoof" of commentaries, so I'm not that concerned (I'll just keep my DVD copy).
After months of nothing all that appealing to me, this month is terrific.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.