Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Old 07-18-14, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts
re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I welcome opinions on any of the following which I'm considering picking up tomorrow;

Phantom Carriage
Pierre Etiax
Ministry Of Fear

I'm thinking of getting Wild Strawberries along with two of those...or possibly Rififi, WS, and one of those.
All winners.
Old 07-18-14, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

I welcome opinions on any of the following which I'm considering picking up tomorrow;

Phantom Carriage
Pierre Etiax
Ministry Of Fear

I'm thinking of getting Wild Strawberries along with two of those...or possibly Rififi, WS, and one of those.
Have not seen any of those 3 but Wild Strawberries & Rififi are must haves.
Old 07-19-14, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Phantom Carriage
Pierre Etiax
Ministry Of Fear

Rififi for sure. I've yet to see the others.
Old 07-19-14, 03:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any recommendations for good noirs and neo-noirs? Any must haves?
Old 07-19-14, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by velcrocity
IMO, for ones that are on Blu-ray, these are must haves:

Sweet Smell of Sucess
Kiss me Deadly
The Killing
Old 07-19-14, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

My favorite noir release in the Criterion catalog is The Killers, which contains three different takes of the same source material. But it's DVD only and may be out of print.

After that there is Kiss Me Deadly which is an essential title in that category
Purple Noon is neo noir
Ministry Of Fear is I'm assuming Noir or close to it.
Rififi is a noir-ish heist movie ala Asphalt Jungle- definitely worth your time if you haven't seen it.
Old 07-19-14, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I'll add Thieves' Highway and Pickup on South Street. Pretty much any Jules Dassin film in the collection. Also the Friends of Eddie Coyle which I hope gets a blu-ray upgrade soon.
Old 07-20-14, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like Boyhood is coming to Criterion:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...tures-20140718
Old 07-20-14, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Blast of Silence
Classe Tous Risques
Old 07-20-14, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Le Samourai
Le deuxieme souffle
The Killing
The Bad Sleep Well
Old 07-23-14, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Hi David,

Thank you for your email. I am not aware of any immediate plans to
re-release or repackage the Zatoichi box-set. I hope this information
is helpful!

Best wishes, and thanks for supporting the Criterion Collection!
Sincerely,

Jon Mulvaney
So they probably wouldn't reconsider it until all of the current boxsets sell out, and that could take some time considering the pricetag. I really want the set, but would prefer it without DVDs considering the size.
Old 07-24-14, 12:47 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I never thought I'd say this... because I'm not one to dump collectibles (I still regret getting rid of some random CDs and Vinyl in my early 20's and have held onto nearly everything I've purchased since then), but... I think I'm going to get rid of a couple of my OOP Criterions (among other things).

My question is: What's my best avenue; forums, or... ebay or... amazon or...? I'm interested in getting these in the hands of collectors and hopefully not dealing with shady buyers who will try to screw me once they have the items in hand. I'm not expecting TOP dollar for these or anything, and don't want to come off as that kind of asshole, but I'm not interested in getting low balled either. It probably doesn't help that I'll likely have to ship across the border (Canada to US).

Not all of them are SUPER valuable, but there's at least a couple. I've looked at what these are going for on ebay (actual sold items, not crazy buy-it-now listings at $1000), but I'd rather avoid that site if there's a better option to connect with a collector.

Is there a good place where one can confidently sell or trade these things?
Old 07-24-14, 02:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Y-Tu-M.../74263/#Review

either i don't remember or never knew, but i had no idea this Y Tu Mamá También was coming to blu by Criterion! yay! sounds like a gem...
Old 07-24-14, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dan
I never thought I'd say this... because I'm not one to dump collectibles (I still regret getting rid of some random CDs and Vinyl in my early 20's and have held onto nearly everything I've purchased since then), but... I think I'm going to get rid of a couple of my OOP Criterions (among other things).

My question is: What's my best avenue; forums, or... ebay or... amazon or...? I'm interested in getting these in the hands of collectors and hopefully not dealing with shady buyers who will try to screw me once they have the items in hand. I'm not expecting TOP dollar for these or anything, and don't want to come off as that kind of asshole, but I'm not interested in getting low balled either. It probably doesn't help that I'll likely have to ship across the border (Canada to US).

Not all of them are SUPER valuable, but there's at least a couple. I've looked at what these are going for on ebay (actual sold items, not crazy buy-it-now listings at $1000), but I'd rather avoid that site if there's a better option to connect with a collector.

Is there a good place where one can confidently sell or trade these things?
Amazon takes a pretty good chunk for their commission- but it hits harder when you have lower priced stuff. If you are selling stuff under $10, the hit is harder than if you sell something over $50.

If you aren't looking to gouge, I would recommend Amazon as you can set your price and just wait till someone wants to pay it. If you're stuff is priced reasonably- which you can gauge by what others are selling the same item for in your listed condition, it won't be long before someone snaps it up.

The only possible sticking point will be if you don't have a feedback rating and the stuff is a little pricier/collectible/rare.

I used to sell quite a bit on ebay but stopped entirely about 4 years ago and switched to Amazon.
Old 07-24-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Amazon takes a pretty good chunk for their commission- but it hits harder when you have lower priced stuff. If you are selling stuff under $10, the hit is harder than if you sell something over $50.

If you aren't looking to gouge, I would recommend Amazon as you can set your price and just wait till someone wants to pay it. If you're stuff is priced reasonably- which you can gauge by what others are selling the same item for in your listed condition, it won't be long before someone snaps it up.

The only possible sticking point will be if you don't have a feedback rating and the stuff is a little pricier/collectible/rare.

I used to sell quite a bit on ebay but stopped entirely about 4 years ago and switched to Amazon.
For someone without a feedback rating, would "Fulfilled by Amazon" be better?
Old 07-24-14, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Drexl
For someone without a feedback rating, would "Fulfilled by Amazon" be better?
If your price is reasonable- not too lowball so that you look desperate or too-good-to-be-true, and your description of the item is clear, honest and concise, I think someone will eventually take a chance on you.

I'm an old comic book collector so I have a lifetime of OCD, anal-ness when it comes to condition of my stuff. Pretty much all my stuff is Like New condition. But when I price it, I usually look to what the top Very Good price is and price it there. If you use that guideline- whatever the condition is, look to the top price of the next lesser condition and set it there- then you are pretty much assured of a sale.

It might even help to write in your description something like " This is my first sale on Amazon and I'm eager to establish a good feedback so customer service is going to be a high priority with me. If you have any problems...etc"

There are scammers everywhere. I always pay extra for tracking so that I KNOW the package has been delivered. If you are really worried, and the item is valuable, you may want to to have the customer invoice printed up and take a picture of the item with the invoice in the shot as 'proof' that you are sending the item in the condition you said it was. If it ever came down to fraud on the customer end, having something like that may be enough to get them to think twice if they are trying to scam you after they get the package. I've found that if you can support your case, Amazon will give it serious consideration rather than ebay or paypal where they just reflexively side with the customer.

I don't think you need to go the FBA route. and if it's something rare or valuable, I wouldn't want to chance having it out of my control until someone buys it.

Just my $.02
Old 07-24-14, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One other tip.
Especially for your first few sales, I would immediately send the buyer a note saying "thanks for the order...I'm getting this packed up right now." etc

Basically just approach it with the mindset of how you would want or appreciate the transaction playing out if you were the buyer not the seller. Pack it well and ship it promptly and you'll be fine.

Also, if you can go the extra mile. If you are getting $50 for a DVD, take a little out of your profit and ship it first class or priority instead of just media mail. The faster they get it, the more impressed they will be and the more motivated to give you + feedback.
Old 07-24-14, 06:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Excellent tips Paul_SD. Thanks!

I think I'll go with Amazon for most of my stuff (Just have to catalog it and list it), but there's one I think I'm going to put up on ebay. Maybe. I keep going back and forth about it. It's kind of unique in a way, so I'm curious if that will make it more valuable than the average copy.
Old 07-24-14, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not offer them up here on the Trade forum? They'd definitely be going to collectors. I may be interested in some of your items as well.
Old 07-31-14, 12:23 PM

August's newsletter hint is for Fellini's Satyricon (can't add it to the post from work).
Old 07-31-14, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LPMA
August's newsletter hint is for Fellini's Satyricon (can't add it to the post from work).
Old 07-31-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

Clever. ^
Old 07-31-14, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by LPMA
Originally Posted by dino88
My survey pick gets criterionized!!!
Old 07-31-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Saw it once and I did not like it. Have not seen it in a long time, will have to see it again.
Old 08-01-14, 12:07 AM

Anyone see or hear any hints about Sullivan's Travels yet?

The UK Arrow release looks great, wish I was region free.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.