Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Heat: re-release slated for 5/9/17

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Heat: re-release slated for 5/9/17

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-09, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
re: Heat: re-release slated for 5/9/17

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
The sound is awesome. Don't expect it to sound like Transformers though. I think it has a very natural sound and probably pretty realistic too.
That's funny because when I re-watched Heat a little while ago I couldn't help but think how much better the film would have been if Michael Bay had directed.
Old 11-18-09, 12:17 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When was the last time you put in any concrete worth of wanted opinion?
Old 11-18-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Currently seeing it. Looks great. Blues really pop out well. Damn fine image quality. And holy fuck does that shootout look soooo much better. I always assumed it was just me but some parts of it looked a bit soft oh but not with the Blu. It's all clean HD image. Damn. Again the shootout scared the shit out of me. Didn't expect the gunshots to be that powerful as compared to the DVD. Oh was I wrong....great Blu.
The shootout scene (assuming you mean the bank scene) is even more brutal because of the North Hollywood shootout that happened later. Almost like it was copied.
Old 11-18-09, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by dan30oly
I have no valid or credible opinion on film.
Fixed.

I mean I like some of Bay's stuff, but it's mostly disposable. Heat is only getting better with age as more and more dreck comes out of Hollywood.
Old 11-18-09, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe one more change was added beyond the two already mentioned (the "ferocious" line and the revised post-dinner scene)

I'd have to check the DVD to be sure, but I think music was added to the scene where Pacino gets into his car, drives off, stops at a bus stop and kicks the television out the car door. I don't ever remember hearing the quiet "Ultramarine" music playing through that particular scene before.
Old 11-18-09, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I believe one more change was added beyond the two already mentioned (the "ferocious" line and the revised post-dinner scene)

I'd have to check the DVD to be sure, but I think music was added to the scene where Pacino gets into his car, drives off, stops at a bus stop and kicks the television out the car door. I don't ever remember hearing the quiet "Ultramarine" music playing through that particular scene before.
No, the music is in there on the DVD... Same music as before I think.
Old 11-18-09, 04:19 PM

I don't know how I never noticed that before, but ever since these "content changes" were announced some (including myself) end up looking for any possible differences!
Old 11-18-09, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Could be the better audio makes the music a little more audible in the scene you mentioned.
Old 11-18-09, 05:36 PM

Can anyone comment about the audio with regard to the dialog in contrast to the gunfight scenes? I seem to recall complaints about the original DVD release having harsh audio. Specifically some of the gun sound affects where disproportionately loud in contrast with the dialog. I know gun shots are supposed to be louder but they were unusually harsh sounding and unbalanced. I can attest to this as I purchased the DVD when it was first released and noticed the same as described. I no longer have it or else I would try to give some more specifc examples.
Old 11-18-09, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jamers
Can anyone comment about the audio with regard to the dialog in contrast to the gunfight scenes? I seem to recall complaints about the original DVD release having harsh audio.
This problem goes back to the VHS days. The dialogue has always been mixed lower than what we're accustomed to, which causes the side-effect of hearing gunfire and other loud noises like cars speeding away sound much louder than usual.

This Blu-ray is no different in this regard, unfortunately.

I live in an apartment and when I watched it I had the dynamic range control on. I had no choice.
Old 11-18-09, 08:31 PM
Banned

So is this an issue from the actual film or is it just the conversion to VHS-Blu?
Old 11-18-09, 10:13 PM

Given that the low dialogue has been an issue from VHS through both DVDs and now the Blu-ray, most likely it's the film itself. Since it came out in 1995 it's probably never had any kind of remixing done to it.

I first saw the film on one of those premium movie channels in 1996, and I remember even that had low dialogue - that was plain old TV where all the range is compressed!

Last edited by Nick Martin; 11-18-09 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-19-09, 05:17 PM
Banned

So as I suspected, it's in the actual source, ie the film, over the conversion of it. Cool. I really haven't had an issue with the audio. It's always sounded fine to me..I'll have to see it again to personally notice that issue.
Old 11-19-09, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TylerDurden_73
I have to admit, I was a little disappointed with the sound. During the LA shoot out there was no active soundfield. No rears what so ever. Everything was frontloaded. However the surrounds were active duing the final hunt at the airport. Still the movie looked great, can't complain about that.

My rear speakers were going nuts. Watching it as I type this. Not sure what the deal was with yours.
Old 11-19-09, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
My rear speakers were going nuts. Watching it as I type this. Not sure what the deal was with yours.
Came here to say the same thing. I read about the issue when it came out but wasn't able to watch the film myself on blu until last night. I actually approached that scene with some disappointment based on what was said on here about no action from the rear channels. But to my surprise they were very, very active.
Old 11-19-09, 07:13 PM
Banned

Maybe he was looking for MORE sound? I mean...I dunno about you but to me that scene is a great tester for your audio set up if you have one. A standard I'd think.
Old 11-19-09, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
Changes have been confirmed as some alternate take and line changes.

Appararently, Mann has removed Pacinos line "Ferocious, aren't I? when he is interrogating Hank Azarias character.

This is from the home theater forum review:

"The first of the two re-edited scenes I found occurs at app. 1:04, when Hanna returns from a crime scene to the restaurant where Justine is waiting for him alone. Justine’s speech that begins “You don’t live with me” has been re-edited, using what appears to be different takes, different cuts and a slight modification to the dialogue. What clued me in was simple: The scene had always stuck out as somewhat awkward in an otherwise polished and assured film. On this viewing, it seemed to flow much better than I remembered. A comparison with the DVD revealed why.

The second example occurs at app. 1:18:35, when Hanna is giving the full intimidation treatment to the sleazy Vegas liquor salesman played by Hank Azaria. Hanna’s dialogue has been slightly shortened, without actually shortening the scene. The net effect is to provide an additional moment to display the reaction on Azaria’s face. It’s priceless. (“Who the hell is this lunatic?” he seems to be thinking.)

There are undoubtedly other examples that flew right by me, because the work has been done so skillfully and the changes are so intelligently tailored to the film in its current form. The film was rushed during editing to meet a release date, which is why it has four credited editors. Based on these examples, it appears that what’s been done is not so much revisionism as clean-up."
Hmmm. Mann purist that I am, I will hang on to the DVD.
Old 11-19-09, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
In addition to the Blu-ray or instead of it?
Old 11-20-09, 01:58 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
Me too. That's real shitty. Why would he cut out that line? It was one of the best in the movie. I wont be upgrading.
Old 11-16-16, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Limited edition metal box SteelBook
New 4K master supervised by Michael Mann

additional content
Q & A picked up in September 2016
5 documentaries
- "Real Crime", the real policeman portrait and criminals that inspired the film
- "Crime Stories", the story of the script and how the film got the green light
- "In furnace ", filming, training cast, key scene the location of the robbery in the city center, and post-production
-" Pacino and de Niro: conversation, "analyze the mythical confrontation scene
-" Return on crime scene ", revisit the true locations of scenes in LA a few years later
11 cut scenes

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01N3RWSYV/...m05-21#postSPF
Old 11-16-16, 07:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I think I'll wait for the upcoming 4K UHD. Hopefully it'll look spectacular.
Old 11-16-16, 08:07 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Limited edition metal box SteelBook
New 4K master supervised by Michael Mann

additional content
Q & A picked up in September 2016
5 documentaries
- "Real Crime", the real policeman portrait and criminals that inspired the film
- "Crime Stories", the story of the script and how the film got the green light
- "In furnace ", filming, training cast, key scene the location of the robbery in the city center, and post-production
-" Pacino and de Niro: conversation, "analyze the mythical confrontation scene
-" Return on crime scene ", revisit the true locations of scenes in LA a few years later
11 cut scenes

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B01N3RWSYV/...m05-21#postSPF
Do we know if this is region free?
Old 11-16-16, 08:31 PM
Banned

The audio on this one would probably be the most important aspect of it. LOVE the sounds from the bank heist. You never hear those types of sounds in other films... but the echoing and such. *sexual groan*
Old 11-17-16, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if the US blu version drops in Feb too
Old 11-17-16, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

20th Century Fox and not Warner Bros has the rights in France?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.