Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk

HD Talk The place to discuss HD DVD, Blu-ray and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-15-09, 04:48 PM   #26
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,123
Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

I got this in my Gold Box today for 20.xx so I'll give it a blind buy based on the reviews.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-09, 10:39 PM   #27
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 17,438
Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

I tried to watch the 3d version tonight.

It gave me a headache and I had to change over to the regular version.

The colors on the 3d one are muted and almost b & w.
the colors on the 2d are vivid and beautiful. this is a great movie and it's too bad more people don't know about it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 08:48 AM   #28
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,341
Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
From the Blu-ray.com review: Although the 3-D is apparently quite underwhelming:

saying it's the disc of the year (already) is enough praise in that I can't wait to see and own this.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-09, 12:24 PM   #29
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 32,840
Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

From the picture above, in post#20, the packaging looks like a book-style type thing.
Is it?
__________________
Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's going to die, come watch TV.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 02:34 PM   #30
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,114
Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

DVD Beaver
__________________
DVDAf
"If you want something done right, you have to live in the past." - Bruce Eric Kaplan

2012 Horror Challenge
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 04:09 PM   #31
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 3,349
Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

Not a book style packaging. Video quality is great, and the movie itself is great. Worth getting.
__________________
Vizio M55-D0 (2016) UHD TV, Sony STR-DN1070 Receiver, Sony UBP-X800 UHD Player
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-09, 04:48 PM   #32
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 2,818
Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

The movie showed up in my Amazon quick pick today for $19 and change, so I went ahead and ordered it. It would be nice if more new releases were discounted 50%.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 12:51 PM   #33
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,531
Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

Coraline ended up in my Goldbox today for $18.52. I've never done a blind buy, but for that price I might have to
__________________
Xbox Gamertag: Skillz 247 LP Playstation ID: Skillz247LP Wii U: Skillz247LPWii Code: 3960 3828 1411 7474
My Blu Ray Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 01:11 PM   #34
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,341
Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

bluray's for 19 and 18.52 really? - oh, I'm annoyed now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 01:30 PM   #35
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 2,818
Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
Coraline ended up in my Goldbox today for $18.52. I've never done a blind buy, but for that price I might have to
Nice! An unexpected price drop. Let's hope that Amazon will honor their preorder price guarantee this time when they ship. Right now my order history is still showing the old price.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 01:54 PM   #36
Time Lord
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 52,324
Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

Sold. Amazon's been great about the price drops lately, with this and Watchmen and a few of the deals posted in the bargain thread.
__________________
“Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”
Check out my vinyl collection!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 01:57 PM   #37
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Hammer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,049
Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Nice! An unexpected price drop. Let's hope that Amazon will honor their preorder price guarantee this time when they ship. Right now my order history is still showing the old price.
I don't think Gold Box deals don't count when it comes to price adjustments... I also don't think you would see any pre-ordered item in your Gold Box either.
__________________
My Collection: DVD Profiler Blu-ray
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 03:15 PM   #38
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hollywood Ca
Posts: 2,471
Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

yeah i really hope this adjusts down for me it has not shipped yet, but it would be nice to have it for less than 20.00.
still shows up as 20.49 on order page.
__________________
Sony S780 3D BD player,Sony VPL-HW30ES
3D 1080p Home Theater Projector
and my Home theatre is also D-Box Motion Code Equiped.
1231 blurays and counting most recent additions
Airplane,Naked Gun,Dumbo, Star Wars complete saga. proud member of I.A.T.S.E. Local 695
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 04:22 PM   #39
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 7,937
Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

I'm almost positive that it doesn't adjust for gold box offers, but it should adjust for the new price that went up today.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 04:42 PM   #40
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,014
Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravesMG View Post
I'm almost positive that it doesn't adjust for gold box offers, but it should adjust for the new price that went up today.
It does actually. It lowers the price to the current one and still keeps the goldbox discount from when you originally pre-ordered it. At least that's how its always been with me.

I nabbed it to. For $19.49 why not?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 04:59 PM   #41
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 7,937
Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

Maybe I'm confused then. I had it ordered for $20.49 until Thursday night or so and decided it was too borderline to pick it up. It showed up in my Gold Box today for $18.49, so I re-ordered it. If I had kept my $20.49 order I would expect it to adjust down to $19.49 but not to the Gold Box $18.49 offer, since I assume (improperly?) that the GB offer is not extended to everyone.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-09, 05:16 PM   #42
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Hammer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,049
Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravesMG View Post
Maybe I'm confused then. I had it ordered for $20.49 until Thursday night or so and decided it was too borderline to pick it up. It showed up in my Gold Box today for $18.49, so I re-ordered it. If I had kept my $20.49 order I would expect it to adjust down to $19.49 but not to the Gold Box $18.49 offer, since I assume (improperly?) that the GB offer is not extended to everyone.
You are correct. Since you dropped the pre-order before release date, it showed up again in your Gold Box to try & convince you to get it after all lol.

Now in Giz's case, it sounds like he ordered it from a GoldBox offer, and yes, it will keep the GoldBox discount even if the regular price drops... but the GoldBox offer is unique to each individual and not offered to everyone (unless you keep looking every day, it may show up).
__________________
My Collection: DVD Profiler Blu-ray
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 01:21 AM   #43
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hollywood Ca
Posts: 2,471
Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

How sad is it just had to argue on the phone with the cs person at amazon for them to honor the pre release price guarentee, and over a friggin dollar.

the price dropped several hours before my card was charged and when i called to inquire about why it was never adjusted, was told that i didnt qualify for it cause my card has now been charged, even though i explained the price went down before my card was charged, then i also read her the shipping confirmation email that said

The following items have been shipped to you by Amazon.com:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):

1 Coraline (Blu-ray/DVD Comb... $20.49 1 $20.49

Shipped via USPS

Tracking number:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Item Subtotal: $20.49
Shipping and handling: $1.49

Super Saver Discount: $-1.49

Pre-order Guarantee: $0.00

Total: $20.49

Paid by Mastercard: $20.49

--------------------------------------------------------------------


Our Pre-order Price Guarantee covers one or more item(s) in this
order. If the Amazon.com price decreases between the time you place your
order and the end of the day of the release date, you'll receive the
lowest price.


now that last little part there i explained to her clearly says if the price decreses ANY time between when you order and the the end of the RELEASE day not SHIPPING day, that i will recieve the lowest price.

i had to argue with her but finally she said ok she would adjust it, even though in the end i got the difference refunded it was a bad experience cause i should not have had to call to begin with, and they should not argue with a customer, when its a instance that the customer is indeed correct.

i tell you there are times i like amazon, but more and more iam really starting to hate them. i mean it might only be a dollar, but hey when you factor that dollar in, the price is the same as what the movie is at frys tomorrow with sales tax, i could just walk over there before work and have it in my hand as soon as i buy it and it would have been same as amazon before they adjusted for me.

and one more thing since when is the name DAVID so difficult to pronounce, it took 4 times of me saying it for her to pronounce it correctly
__________________
Sony S780 3D BD player,Sony VPL-HW30ES
3D 1080p Home Theater Projector
and my Home theatre is also D-Box Motion Code Equiped.
1231 blurays and counting most recent additions
Airplane,Naked Gun,Dumbo, Star Wars complete saga. proud member of I.A.T.S.E. Local 695
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 01:52 AM   #44
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,215
Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer99 View Post
You are correct. Since you dropped the pre-order before release date, it showed up again in your Gold Box to try & convince you to get it after all lol.

Now in Giz's case, it sounds like he ordered it from a GoldBox offer, and yes, it will keep the GoldBox discount even if the regular price drops... but the GoldBox offer is unique to each individual and not offered to everyone (unless you keep looking every day, it may show up).
Sorry for my stupidity, but I'd like a little clarification on this. Earlier today this was selling for $20.49 and it hit my goldbox quick picks for $19.47. So I pulled the trigger and added Watchmen as well. The order has NOT shipped and has NOT been charged yet. Then I logged on earlier tonight and saw that it had dropped publicly to 19.49 and in my goldbox to $18.52 or something like that. To cut to the chase: do I get anything back or am I out the dollar? Not that $19 isn't a great deal on this since I have no Fry's around me and the cheapest is DD or $26 at the store. I just don't want to call about it sounding like a dumbass if I can't get it lower. It's not that big of a deal though I guess.
__________________
Blu-ray slipcovers needed:
1)The Third Man (Criterion Blu-ray)
2)The Fast and the Furious (1st one)
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 03:01 AM   #45
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Hammer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,049
Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

Quote:
Originally Posted by pridesticks06 View Post
Sorry for my stupidity, but I'd like a little clarification on this. Earlier today this was selling for $20.49 and it hit my goldbox quick picks for $19.47. So I pulled the trigger and added Watchmen as well. The order has NOT shipped and has NOT been charged yet. Then I logged on earlier tonight and saw that it had dropped publicly to 19.49 and in my goldbox to $18.52 or something like that. To cut to the chase: do I get anything back or am I out the dollar? Not that $19 isn't a great deal on this since I have no Fry's around me and the cheapest is DD or $26 at the store. I just don't want to call about it sounding like a dumbass if I can't get it lower. It's not that big of a deal though I guess.
Goldbox savings should be applied to the final lowest price at the end of the release date, no matter what. To use round numbers, say the original price was $21. Goldbox offer was $20, saving you a dollar, and you pre-ordered it thru Goldbox. If the site price on or before release date is lowered to $20, you will get it for $19.

If it already shipped before a price decrease and it's still before the end of release date, they will credit you the difference. Usually it is automatic, but it's best to keep on top of it... if you don't see an e-mail acknowledging an upcoming refund, contact CS.
__________________
My Collection: DVD Profiler Blu-ray

Last edited by Hammer99; 07-21-09 at 03:09 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 06:41 AM   #46
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 2,818
Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours View Post
How sad is it just had to argue on the phone with the cs person at amazon for them to honor the pre release price guarentee, and over a friggin dollar.
...
i had to argue with her but finally she said ok she would adjust it, even though in the end i got the difference refunded it was a bad experience cause i should not have had to call to begin with, and they should not argue with a customer, when its a instance that the customer is indeed correct.
My order just shipped this morning, and sure enough they did not honor their preorder price guarantee. Again, as you said, it's only a $1 this time, but what is the point of having the policy is you end up having to check the pricing every day, and cancel and reorder the title yourself to guarantee that you get the lower price. I sent an email requesting that they honor their price guarantee, hopefully they will.

I was really disappointed with Amazon after my Lost Season 1 & 2 experience from a couple months back when one of the sets was on sale for 50% off for an entire day. Normally to be safe, I cancel and reorder at the lower price, but when I went to do that my existing order already showed the lower price, so I was happy, but then the next day after the sale price was over, they went back into my order and adjusted the price back up. They honored the orders placed at the sale price, but screwed those of us with the previous preorders.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 09:37 AM   #47
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,215
Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer99 View Post
Goldbox savings should be applied to the final lowest price at the end of the release date, no matter what. To use round numbers, say the original price was $21. Goldbox offer was $20, saving you a dollar, and you pre-ordered it thru Goldbox. If the site price on or before release date is lowered to $20, you will get it for $19.

If it already shipped before a price decrease and it's still before the end of release date, they will credit you the difference. Usually it is automatic, but it's best to keep on top of it... if you don't see an e-mail acknowledging an upcoming refund, contact CS.
Thank you very much for the explanation, and the discount is showing up as of this morning. No email though, but I assume it's in.
__________________
Blu-ray slipcovers needed:
1)The Third Man (Criterion Blu-ray)
2)The Fast and the Furious (1st one)
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 11:17 AM   #48
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 32,840
Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

What's this with Target having exclusive bonus extras?
__________________
Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's going to die, come watch TV.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 12:02 PM   #49
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,341
Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

^ the wording in the advert is a bit vague - "Deluxe with over 30 minutes of exclusive bonus content" directedly under the DVD edition.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 12:55 PM   #50
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 32,840
Re: Coraline Blu Ray - July 21st

But not for the blu-ray? Which leads me to believe this exclusive bonus content for the dvd is a port of the blu-ray exclusives.
__________________
Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's going to die, come watch TV.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 AM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0