Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is There No Way to Resume Watching a Blu-Ray?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Is There No Way to Resume Watching a Blu-Ray?

Old 05-06-09, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is There No Way to Resume Watching a Blu-Ray?

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I still have yet to figure out 'bookmarks' on Blu-ray or HD DVD.
There's really not much to figure out.
Old 05-07-09, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a compromise and compliment to bookmarks, it would be helpful if after hitting the stop button a message popped up and asked if you'd like to create a bookmark or if you would like to resume stopping the disk. Then again people would probably complain that it's taking too long to stop the disk and the message is annoying.
Old 05-07-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by danicus007
As a compromise and compliment to bookmarks, it would be helpful if after hitting the stop button a message popped up and asked if you'd like to create a bookmark or if you would like to resume stopping the disk. Then again people would probably complain that it's taking too long to stop the disk and the message is annoying.
Actually, for discs that have the bookmark feature, it would be nice if the disc just automatically saved the "last spot" bookmark when you hit stop. No need for asking. I think that's up to the disc authors though.
Old 05-08-09, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank
Actually, for discs that have the bookmark feature, it would be nice if the disc just automatically saved the "last spot" bookmark when you hit stop. No need for asking. I think that's up to the disc authors though.
Wow. Someone that actually has a good idea. Sure, they say that bookmarks compensate for lack of resume, but it would be ingenious if they automatically added bookmarks when stopping a Blu-Ray. Maybe there could just be an option on the Blu-Ray player that enables automatic bookmarking. Doesn't sound like it would be that hard.

I too hate the lack of resume. As someone mentioned...especially when accidentally hitting stop on the PS3.
Old 05-08-09, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sbelli
Wow. Someone that actually has a good idea. Sure, they say that bookmarks compensate for lack of resume, but it would be ingenious if they automatically added bookmarks when stopping a Blu-Ray. Maybe there could just be an option on the Blu-Ray player that enables automatic bookmarking. Doesn't sound like it would be that hard.

I too hate the lack of resume. As someone mentioned...especially when accidentally hitting stop on the PS3.
I agree with this idea. Definitely something they should look into. I too am always annoyed by my PS3 not having some kind of resume feature for my Blu-ray's.
Old 05-12-09, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I play my BD's on my Sony Vaio VGN-Fw160D. It's a laptop intended for movie buffs, and it automatically saves resume position. Didn't realize this wasn't common for all BD players. That sucks.
Old 05-12-09, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelli

Well, for me, about 90% of the annoyance factor, such as it is, is that I still have to get through whatever the disc has to play when it loads - FBI warnings, previews, etc. Sometimes I also have to pick the right audio track. The bookmarks (which aren't standardized) have to be loaded from the menu, and I'd bet that an automatic bookmarking feature would have to work the same way. By the time I get to the point where I can access bookmarks, I don't even bother with them. I might as well just pick the closest chapter.

Indiephantom, which software player do you use on that laptop that resumes?
Old 05-13-09, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by beebs
I don't think this issue with BR players is particularly worrisome for sales or many users.
Funny you mention this. I have a friend who refuses to buy a BD player for this reason alone. And he was singing Blu-ray's praises during the format war too.
Old 05-13-09, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a Samsung BD-P1500 and don't seem to have this problem. I've hit STOP, walked away then return to hit PLAY and it takes me right back to where I was. In fact a couple of weeks ago, I was watching a movie late and turned off the player to go to bed. About a day or so later, I turned on the player and it resumed where I left off.

I had a BD-P1400 before and that never resumed. I thought they had fixed the issue.
Old 05-13-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 130 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
You honestly believe the VHS comparison is fair? I'd appreciate it if you would expand on that and explain how the underlying technologies are remotely comparable.
I don't think he was making a technology comparison but just trying to illustrate that on both DVD and VHS you could stop a film, come back to it later and pick up where you left off without a lot of hassle and time wasted.

It's a simple function that we took for granted on DVD and VHS and now it appears to be not so simple with Blu-ray.

Last edited by orangerunner; 05-13-09 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-21-09, 04:47 PM

Hi

Have you noticed how much grain reduction, specially some cheap crap grain reduction, it's turning some blue ray realises into a waste of resultion?

Some grain redution, used to try to clean almost 100% of grain from films from 70's and 80's, makes the details ver fuzzy, smooth, blured, like a stupid median filter from photoshop.

Films have much more detail than those silly blue ray realises. Even the true blue ray resolution have much more detail than most of those blue ray authoring-encoding, because most detail it's geting lost with digital noise reduction.
Old 05-21-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
My biggest problem is sometimes I accidentally hit Stop when I meant to hit Pause on my PS3, and it takes you back to the PS3 menu. Then you have to wade through the corporate logos and trailers and all that crap again to get back to the movie.
It's the screen saver on the PS3 that usually gets me. I always forget the button to get out of it and end up stopping the movie and then it's through the whole preview and menus again.
Old 05-21-09, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alfred Bergman
Hi

Have you noticed how much grain reduction, specially some cheap crap grain reduction, it's turning some blue ray realises into a waste of resultion?

Some grain redution, used to try to clean almost 100% of grain from films from 70's and 80's, makes the details ver fuzzy, smooth, blured, like a stupid median filter from photoshop.

Films have much more detail than those silly blue ray realises. Even the true blue ray resolution have much more detail than most of those blue ray authoring-encoding, because most detail it's geting lost with digital noise reduction.
I agree, but I don't think you're in the right thread.
Old 06-10-09, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is weird. I watched the first hour of my Iron Maiden - Flight 666 Blu-ray last night, turned it off and left the disk in the player. Just now I went to continue watching it, fully expecting it to reload and me having to manually find the exact time where I left off, but it resumed right from where I left off without any load time even.
Old 06-10-09, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
This is weird. I watched the first hour of my Iron Maiden - Flight 666 Blu-ray last night, turned it off and left the disk in the player. Just now I went to continue watching it, fully expecting it to reload and me having to manually find the exact time where I left off, but it resumed right from where I left off without any load time even.
Then, I guess it doesn't use BD-J. There are still some discs being released without it.
Old 06-10-09, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by obidawsn
I never even knew DVD players had a resume feature after powering off. None of my DVD players have that feature. I was so excited when I found season play on Lost, and saw that it even worked after powering the player off. I thought that Blu-ray finally brought in a resume feature, when I saw that. This entire thread confused me, saying that DVD had the feature, when I never knew it did. It always bugged me that I couldn't power off my DVD player if I wanted to resume a movie, so I can see the complaints if Blu-ray doesn't have it. But since I never had the feature, I never missed it, anyway, after not having it for almost 10 years (since I bought my first DVD player).
I never had a DVD player that couldn't resume. To my knowledge, I've never had a DVD that couldn't resume. From power off. Now I can't testify for sure that everyone one of my DVDs is resume able, since there must be some I've never watched in multiple sessions. I am saying that I've never had a DVD not resume when it was restarted from a power-off state.

It was always my assumption this was a basic function of the DVD technology and when I was considering HD, I never thought to ask if BluRays can resume. I just assumed this was a basic capability. I never saw a thread in any forum complaining of DVDs inability to resume.

Boy was I surprised when I first got that message.

This talk about generation NOW not being willing to wait...I'm generation Boomer (or if you prefer, geezer) and I don't like it. If I start a movie at 9pm, often I can't finish it. So the next day I've got to go thru all the crap just to get to the menu so I can start searching for where I was. That's a lot of fun with some discs (T2-Skynet Edition, anyone).

I can just imagine the design sesson where leaving out resume was decided:
Designer 1-Hey if we do it this way, the discs won't resume. We'll be taking away a basic capability of the previous technology.
Designer 2-Yeah, but if we require BluRay to resume, it'll take us another week of design and add ten cents to the cost of the players.
Designer 1-Oh, screw that!

All through the cycle of DVDs and HD discs, I've read posts wishing that "Joe 6-pack" would adopt the technology so that more movies would be available and they would be cheaper. It's this kind design that keeps Joe out of new technology.

Don't get me wrong. I have no intention of going back to SD, I love HD. But why does it have to such a pain in the ass? I don't recall inserts in DVDs warning me the disc might not play in my player. The only time that happened to me was when a disc was defective. Now it's not unusual for a BD not to play, especially for those with older players. Way to screw your early supporters.

I waited for the second generation of DVDs before I adopted that technology. I waited for there to be a format winner (I bought beta) before I went HD and I got a second generation player. It's my impression that DVD format was more mature than BluRay is during these two respective times.

When the BluRay format was being designed, they had to have established minimum standards for the technology. I wish they had included resume. BTW, what about the defunct format HD? Could it resume?
Old 06-10-09, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jack999
When the BluRay format was being designed, they had to have established minimum standards for the technology. I wish they had included resume. BTW, what about the defunct format HD? Could it resume?
Most HD DVDs could not resume, because they were authored in advanced mode from the beginning. BDs were authored in basic mode at the beginning, and only later did they use BD-J. That's why you get some people insisting that BD can resume and others saying it can't. It depends on the disc.
Old 06-10-09, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
Most HD DVDs could not resume, because they were authored in advanced mode from the beginning. BDs were authored in basic mode at the beginning, and only later did they use BD-J. That's why you get some people insisting that BD can resume and others saying it can't. It depends on the disc.
Yes, I agree with that. I've got 2-3 discs that can resume. They tend to be discs with more basic menus. It's interesting that both HD formats didn't require resume.
Old 06-11-09, 08:24 AM

Here's a good one.

Was watching DaVinci Code and just happened to glance over at my PS3. Thought, Oh I left it on after playing a game. So got up and switched it off. LOL! What the heck am I doing. So I turned it back on and it picked up in the movie right where I left off.

James
Old 06-11-09, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree that this is a major annoyance with BD. As others have stated, this functionality should be a given with newer technology.

I think part of the problem (for me at least) is with the design of the PS3 remote. The Stop and Pause buttons are reversed from where we (or at least, I) expect them to be based on years of using other remotes. It should be Play--Pause--Stop in descending order, rather than Play--Stop--Pause.
Old 06-11-09, 10:14 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I still have yet to figure out 'bookmarks' on Blu-ray or HD DVD.
I'm with you...can't figure out what the hell the point of it is or how its supposed to work.
Old 06-11-09, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by BackStJoe
I'm with you...can't figure out what the hell the point of it is
I guess I find that hard to believe. Have you ever used a bookmark to get back to the exact page you're on in a book? The point of this is exactly the same - to get back to the exact frame you're on in the movie.

or how its supposed to work.
I can understand not knowing exactly how it's supposed to work, since I think it's up to the disc authors to implement it, so it might be slightly different from disc-to-disc. That being said, I think the usual implementation is that pressing one of the colored buttons on your BD player remote sets the bookmark, which is then accessible from the chapter list menu.
Old 06-11-09, 12:28 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I, for one, enjoy re-watching the load screens and ads every time I try to resume a film.
Old 06-11-09, 12:40 PM

Ha!
Old 06-11-09, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^Yes, it's fun to see if one can spot any changes in the FBI/Interpol warnings each time...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.