Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

3D on bluray anytime soon?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-09, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was browsing around TVs and I have my eye on a clearance floor model samsung and I asked about any news on 3D in home theatre? He said all the Samsungs they had in store were 3D compatible. Is there any news talking about when the first 3D bluray might be? I'm excited to find out. And I want to make sure I buy a TV that can display it, since I love 3D and want to support it fully.
Old 04-20-09, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 3D on bluray anytime soon?

I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. They've been talking about it recently, but that's all it is right now. Talk.
Old 04-20-09, 11:22 PM

It's true though that some TV's are starting to become 3D compatible? Where's the talk been if you don't mind me asking?
Old 04-20-09, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

players capable of spinning 3D discs won't make a debut until 2011 at the earliest.
http://www.techradar.com/blogs/artic...blu-ray-593225
Old 04-21-09, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I'm a big 3-D fan and in the market for a new TV (the one I have will be 13 years old this year!) but I'm getting REALLY tired of the waiting and non-information about 3-D. Yes, the DLP sets (which I was convinced I wanted last year, but not so sure now) advertise that they're "3-D Ready", but of course they won't tell you what sort of 3-D they're ready for and when you might expect to see something to watch on them. Elsewhere I hear about a "3D standards committee" for making a good home 3-D system, and in the meantime companies put out crappy red/blue format 3D DVDs. I bought the field-sequential system in 1990 and a number of tapes (at $50 each!) and have most of the field-sequential DVDs, but while that format preserves the original format well the flickering and loss of resolution is just too annoying (though still preferable to crappy red/blue glasses!)

Finances willing I'm going to jump on SOMETHING by the end of this year. If any actual 3-D Blu-Rays come out that I can actually buy, I'll certainly adjust my plans accordingly, but if I continue to hear more vague 'news' I'm just going to quit waiting.
Old 04-21-09, 04:43 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My DLP is also 3D ready. I believe it requires a system that uses glasses that have a shutter.
Old 04-21-09, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Teremei
It's true though that some TV's are starting to become 3D compatible? Where's the talk been if you don't mind me asking?
Here is a list of some of the current 3D Ready television models:

http://www.next3d.com/3D_Ready_Technology.html
Old 04-21-09, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All bets seem to be that the first BD to take advantage of the new format will be AVATAR. Makes sense....

Google "Marketsaw 3D" for lots of info on new 3-D movies and the development of the BD systems.
Old 04-21-09, 02:24 PM
Banned by request

Also I heard somewhere that the PS3 could display 3D content with a firmware update, so some of us may not have to buy new players.
Old 04-21-09, 06:04 PM

good info here, thanks for partaking everyone.
Old 04-21-09, 10:36 PM

After reading that I'm glad I held off on buying a new TV recently. That would be really exciting for the Avatar Blu-ray was the "bust out 3D" bluray movie like that article inclines. And if that's the case I want to make sure my TV is ready to play it come May 2010.
Old 04-23-09, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I just came back from watching Monsters vs. Aliens in Dolby 3D. It's my first theatrical 3D experience (unless you count Capt. EO and Freddy's Dead: The Final Friday many years ago) and I was pleasently surprised with the experience.

I hear everybody speaking about shutter glasses but, from what I've read, that requires a custom screen. Why doesn't Dolby make a home version of Dolby 3D Cinema? I seem to recall some mention about it only working on an interlaced display but if film is in full frames and progressive video provides full frames as well, why can't something like Dolby 3D Cinema work for home applications?
Old 04-23-09, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Funny. I went to the Dolby website before my last post and turned up nothing. A quick search on Google just now turns up plenty: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...oq=%22Dolby+3D

Old 04-24-09, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I hear everybody speaking about shutter glasses but, from what I've read, that requires a custom screen. Why doesn't Dolby make a home version of Dolby 3D Cinema? I seem to recall some mention about it only working on an interlaced display but if film is in full frames and progressive video provides full frames as well, why can't something like Dolby 3D Cinema work for home applications?
The way digital 3-D works in theaters is, the projector shines alternating frames for each eye. Left eye, then right eye, then left eye, etc. The viewer wears polarized or shutter glasses that only let the appropriate image in to each eye.

This won't work on a typical 60 Hz television, because it would mean that each eye only sees 30 frames per second as opposed to the usual 60. That would cause visible flicker. It can work on newer 120 Hz TVs, and several companies (notably Panasonic) have been working on a new 3-D standard for Blu-ray using that. Several manufacturers (Mitsubishi and Samsung come to mind) already market "3-D ready" HDTVs. But the process won't be backwards compatible to older HDTVs.
Old 04-24-09, 02:17 PM

What about plasma's? Lets say you have a plasma that is identical or faster than 120h. Is it possible that it could handle the 3D image or is there something else that it probably doesn't have that won't allow it to display the 3D blurays when they DO come out? I ask cause I'm in the market. Either get a panny plasma now or wait. And I'm getting impatient lol.
Old 04-24-09, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The way digital 3-D works in theaters is, the projector shines alternating frames for each eye. Left eye, then right eye, then left eye, etc. The viewer wears polarized or shutter glasses that only let the appropriate image in to each eye.

This won't work on a typical 60 Hz television, because it would mean that each eye only sees 30 frames per second as opposed to the usual 60. That would cause visible flicker. It can work on newer 120 Hz TVs, and several companies (notably Panasonic) have been working on a new 3-D standard for Blu-ray using that. Several manufacturers (Mitsubishi and Samsung come to mind) already market "3-D ready" HDTVs. But the process won't be backwards compatible to older HDTVs.
That's the gist I got once I turned to Google. Well, you explained it a lot more clearly.

So I basically have to wait 'til Dolby and/or Panasonic establishes a standard for 3DTV and then save up for a new TV but not necessarily a new BD player?
Old 04-24-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That's the gist I got once I turned to Google. Well, you explained it a lot more clearly.

So I basically have to wait 'til Dolby and/or Panasonic establishes a standard for 3DTV and then save up for a new TV but not necessarily a new BD player?

They are all fighting for their tech to be come the standard but I think Panny is going to win this one.

What I've heard is to watch out for infomation on the eventual 3D standard being incorporated as a selling point for future digital projectors. This is what has kept me from buying a new model.
Old 04-24-09, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I'll just wait it out. I'll just wait 'til the first 3DTVs (not 3D ready but rather TVs that are produced with whichever format becomes the standard in mind) come onto the market and start saving up. Then I'll buy a second or third generation 3DTV set.

I see that Samsung has DLP and Plasma sets that are labelled as 3D ready but no LCDs that are labeled as such. Is LCD somehow incompatible with the proposed 3D specs?

By the way, why do you believe Panasonic is gonna win? Not that I doubt you but I was just curious what draws you to one over the other.
Old 04-24-09, 10:02 PM

What about Polar Express, Journey to the Center of the Earth, and Friday the 13th Part 3?
Old 04-25-09, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mmyersisgod
What about Polar Express, Journey to the Center of the Earth, and Friday the 13th Part 3?
I'm sure they'll be re-released along with other films that have been released in 3D in theaters.
Old 04-25-09, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

By the way, why do you believe Panasonic is gonna win? Not that I doubt you but I was just curious what draws you to one over the other.
Three reasons that I have read about.

1.) I think they'll get the nod because of their position within the BDA.
2.) Disney has been working with them in regards to 3D releases, and Disney has a large share of the more recent 3D releases. Disney will push for Panny to get the nod.
3.) Panasonic's solution to 3D seems fairly simple to work into the standard quickly, running two 1080i60 video streams into one 1080p24 3D image.
Old 04-25-09, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, one two certainly makes their win seem easy. How'd you find out about their method for 3D?

I tried looking for it online and all I found was the Dolby theatrical method. About all I saw about home theater was the mention of pot requiring a new BD player and requiring a new TV.
Old 04-25-09, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

All I could find was this:

Dolby will give a first sneak peek of its approach for playing stereo 3-D video on digital TVs and Blu-ray players. The company, which already is shipping products for 3-D video in theaters, will show its 3-D encoding technology for home products.

The company's technology uses a checkerboard pixel pattern similar to techniques employed in current 3-D-ready digital TVs from Mitsubishi and Samsung. It works with existing Blu-ray, HDMI and MPEG products and existing video formats.
http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.j...leID=212700486

And this:

Option 1: Dolby method
* Compatible with most current Blu-ray players (does not require new player purchase in most cases)
* May require new HDTV purchase, but is compatible with many current 3D DLP HDTVs (requires new TV purchase if you do not have one of these)
* Should be compatible with most current HDMI equipment (i.e. A/V receivers, scalers, etc)
* Full color 3-D
* Effective resolution of 960x1080

Option 2: Panasonic method
* Requires new Blu-ray player purchase
* Requires new HDTV purchase
* Players will likely need dual HDMI outputs as the 3-D video portion will likely be incompatible with current HDMI equipment
* Full color 3-D
* Effective resolution of 1920x1080
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=16283814

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-25-09 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-25-09, 02:31 PM
Banned by request

I'd be surprised if Dolby won in the home theater realm, as they're not the preferred method in theaters. Dolby 3D in theaters doesn't require a silver screen as RealD does, but the screen has to be 100% clean for the image to look the way it should. Once it starts getting dirty, as all screens do, the illusion is ruined.
Old 04-25-09, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I watched Monsters vs. Aliens in Dolby 3D Digital Cinema (boy that's a mouthful!) again today and although the screen wasn't 100% clean, it never took me out of the 3D illusion. I think I noticed the dirst and damage on the screen twice but I was too into what I was watching to really pay much attention.

What I think will hurt the home application of Dolby 3D Digital Cinema is the resolution. 960x1080 vs. 1920x1080? After so much marketing hammering 1080p as True or Full HD, are people really going to want to take a noticeable dip in resolution just to get into 3D?

Personally, even though it's much more expensive, I'm more inclined toward the Panasonic approach.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-25-09 at 08:14 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.