Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

A Bug's Life coming in May

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

A Bug's Life coming in May

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-09, 12:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
re: A Bug's Life coming in May

Originally Posted by Raffurar
This is great news.. not sure if I'll have to wait on them or not yet... Already have Monsters Inc. on DVD.. so it's not quite an imperitive at the moment. However, with the free movie tickets, if they also have a rebate for owners of the DVD, I'll definitely have to snatch them up quick!

I'm a bit surprised Finding Nemo isn't among this bunch being it was originally slated to release at the same time as Wall-E. Maybe Incredibles and Finding Nemo will both drop with Up on Blu? That'll get us set for all of them until Toy Story 3 is out, because you know they'll wait until that to release 1 & 2!
and Disney wants to make money off the of the 3D converted theatrical engagements of Toy Story 1 and 2.
Old 02-23-09, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm just happy we are getting the Pixar releases at a fairly good pace.
Old 02-23-09, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
and Disney wants to make money off the of the 3D converted theatrical engagements of Toy Story 1 and 2.
You know it! Though I don't have a problem with this. I'm happy with my dvds for now, and am looking forward to seeing these in the theater again. I wish reissues weren't going the way of the Dodo. Growing to love a film with nostalgia, and then being able to see that on the big screen again is a wonderful experience wholly different from a first run.
Old 02-23-09, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bug's Life and Monsters Inc...don't mind the double-dip. Great news! I can't wait for Finding Nemo.
Old 02-24-09, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
Originally Posted by Walker Boh
...Good point. Do the free tickets always work, or do you have to wait until they're no longer considering it a "special engagement" / new release?
From my experience, they usually only work the first few weeks of the movie's release before they expire.
They also only work in certain theaters. The nearest one that takes them is 95 miles from me, so it is not cost-effective to use the "free" tickets. For most people in big cities, that shouldn't be a problem of course.
Old 02-26-09, 08:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

has Disney listed what all the extras will be on the discs? or is that aspect what we're waiting to know? (TBA)
Old 02-26-09, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you even read the thread? I mean, seriously? Read the FIRST FREAKING POST!
Old 02-28-09, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I sold my Monsters, Inc. DVD set on Wednesday (in just two hours at Amazon) in preparation for the BD. But with the outrageous $40.99 MSRP it may be a year or more before we see a decent sale price for this title. A catalog title like this should have an MSRP of $28.95 or $29.95 IMHO. Disney/Pixar makes Fox discs look like bargains!
Old 03-02-09, 08:55 AM

Disney already said Toy Story 1 & 2 will be out on Blu-Ray before Toy Story 3 hits.
Old 03-02-09, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

so if they keep this same pace, that would put TS1&2 out around this time next year, and then Incredibles and Nemo in 2011. With the new releases in late fall.
Old 03-02-09, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by lizard
I sold my Monsters, Inc. DVD set on Wednesday (in just two hours at Amazon) in preparation for the BD. But with the outrageous $40.99 MSRP it may be a year or more before we see a decent sale price for this title. A catalog title like this should have an MSRP of $28.95 or $29.95 IMHO. Disney/Pixar makes Fox discs look like bargains!
I agree. I'll have to verify I can definitely use the movie money before I'll think about buying either of these. Leave it to Disney to charge to the max.
Old 03-02-09, 11:19 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by redbill
so if they keep this same pace, that would put TS1&2 out around this time next year, and then Incredibles and Nemo in 2011. With the new releases in late fall.
Pixar/Disney will be pumping out their animated films at a much faster pace then their previous DVD versions. I imagine seeing Incredibles and Nemo sometime this Holiday season.
Old 03-02-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Yeah I expect to see Nemo sooner rather than later, especially since it was originally slated to come out by now, meaning that they've probably done all of the work for the release.
Old 03-02-09, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Pixar/Disney will be pumping out their animated films at a much faster pace then their previous DVD versions. I imagine seeing Incredibles and Nemo sometime this Holiday season.
That would make the holiday season for me!
Old 03-03-09, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by redbill
That means my two favorites won't be out until 2011.

Still, this release is great news!
Old 03-03-09, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
That means my two favorites won't be out until 2011.
Don't worry; redbill doesn't know what he's talking about. The Toy Story releases are being timed to tie in to the 3D theatrical re-releases which, in turn, are being timed to prime the pump for Toy Story 3. Nemo will very likely be out this year (possibly simultaneous with Up's BD release), as work on it had been underway for a long time now (it was announced for release and then delayed). The only one MIA is The Incredibles- its timing is anyone's guess.
Old 03-03-09, 10:45 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Nemo will be this year.
Old 03-03-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by deto
from bluray.com
Extras for these two films will include all the features on the previous DVD releases, including the following Blu-ray exclusive extras...
Can we assume this includes the Collector's Edition special features?

My birthday is May 5... I'm just asking for gift cards this year, I think.

Last edited by Darth Maher; 03-03-09 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-03-09, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just recently went Blu, so please excuse my ignorance here. I just watched my SD copy Toy Story and it looked amazing on my Blu-ray player. How much more does the BD of Pixar movies improve the picture quality? Is it really worth the upgrade?
Old 03-03-09, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joefrog91
Just recently went Blu, so please excuse my ignorance here. I just watched my SD copy Toy Story and it looked amazing on my Blu-ray player. How much more does the BD of Pixar movies improve the picture quality? Is it really worth the upgrade?
I would say yes.
Old 03-03-09, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

For me, if I'm going to upgrade a disc, it needs to be a movie I really like and be something that would really benefit from the higher resolution. Any of Pixar's movies would fit the bill but I'm not going to bother upgrading Office Space.
Old 03-04-09, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In general, animated movies upscale better than live action movies*. So they tend to look very good on upscaled DVD in terms of resolution. But the colors may be more vivid on the Blu-ray Disc versus the DVD. Compared to BD, DVD colors sometimes look "washed out". However, animated movies tend to use such vivid colors to begin with, think The Incredibles for example, that the difference between DVD and BD may not be very noticeable.

* Why? Because the relatively simple lines, textures, and swathes of color in animated pictures are easier to interpolate accurately when upscaling.
Old 03-04-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lizard
Compared to BD, DVD colors sometimes look "washed out". However, animated movies tend to use such vivid colors to begin with, think The Incredibles for example, that the difference between DVD and BD may not be very noticeable.
I've done lots of DVD-to-BD comparisons on the BD-available Pixar movies. I can hardly watch the DVDs any more. And those are some very nice DVDs. For me, the upgrade is very, very substantial.
Old 03-04-09, 12:30 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had the same questions over a year ago, then we upgraded from the SD version of Cars to the Blu-ray version. The audio improvements and the pop of the image really made that movie come much more alive. I think when Finding Nemo comes out on BD it is going to be extraordinary. That said, I'll still upgrade on a case by case basis since our funds are finite.
Old 03-04-09, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jim
I think when Finding Nemo comes out on BD it is going to be extraordinary.
There's some HD Finding Nemo footage in the excellent The Pixar Story documentary on the Wall-E BD. A-B it with the Nemo DVD and it will blow your mind!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.