Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-Ray...does it

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-Ray...does it

Old 11-21-08, 05:19 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blu-Ray...does it

.....bother anyone who collects movies that the studios/retailers/manufactures are basically saying, "Throw away all those "OLD DVDS" ya bought from us all these years! They're, TRASH! Just like, VHS! You threw away that garbage. Now go ahead and throw your dvd away, too!

And if you still got some VHS, what's the matter with you?? By the way, we really appreciate what ya did for us during your dvd shopp'in time and were glad ya got them, but as soon as ya can do it, just go ahead and throw them in the dumpster or use them as coasters or very small flying saucers for those home made movies yr gonna upload to you tube some day."

Don't get me wrong, "Blu-Ray" is very, very tempting. I've been in "Target" and have been suckerized by their "Blu-Ray" display case. "Targets/industry" power of gonna-get-some-more-cash-out-of-you-persuasion was starting to kick in. Also, i will admit, if the prices do come down to the $5 DVD range...i probably will buy some "Blu-ray" movies some day if it manages to stick around.(a $30 "Blu-Ray" player needs to come first too)

However, do we really need another form of DVD??? I'm sure this topic has been brought up before but i'm new to these boards and i just felt like asking since i was over at "A'int it Kool" and i was browsing thru "Harry's" DVD picks for the 3rd week of November and i was noticing that every single new release dvd that came out this week, if the dvd was available in "Blu-Ray", "Harry" would use the "Blu-Ray" cover to market the dvd as oppose to the regular dvd cover. I mean, what's up with that?? It's his site and he does what they pay him to do but to market "Blu-ray" that much is.....argggghhhh!
Old 11-21-08, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Maybe he just wants the best edition of a movie?

Yes, some of us wanted BD so that the films could be presented in high definition, which is much closer to a theatrical print than DVD. They're not saying you have to throw your DVDs away. They're just offering a higher quality product. I don't see DVD going away for several years.
Old 11-21-08, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh no. Could it be?

Originally Posted by lake100
.....bother anyone who collects movies that the studios/retailers/manufactures are basically saying, "Throw away all those "OLD DVDS" ya bought from us all these years! They're, TRASH! Just like, VHS! You threw away that garbage. Now go ahead and throw your dvd away, too!

And if you still got some VHS, what's the matter with you?? By the way, we really appreciate what ya did for us during your dvd shopp'in time and were glad ya got them, but as soon as ya can do it, just go ahead and throw them in the dumpster or use them as coasters or very small flying saucers for those home made movies yr gonna upload to you tube some day."

Don't get me wrong, "Blu-Ray" is very, very tempting. I've been in "Target" and have been suckerized by their "Blu-Ray" display case. "Targets/industry" power of gonna-get-some-more-cash-out-of-you-persuasion was starting to kick in. Also, i will admit, if the prices do come down to the $5 DVD range...i probably will buy some "Blu-ray" movies some day if it manages to stick around.(a $30 "Blu-Ray" player needs to come first too)

However, do we really need another form of DVD??? I'm sure this topic has been brought up before but i'm new to these boards and i just felt like asking since i was over at "A'int it Kool" and i was browsing thru "Harry's" DVD picks for the 3rd week of November and i was noticing that every single new release dvd that came out this week, if the dvd was available in "Blu-Ray", "Harry" would use the "Blu-Ray" cover to market the dvd as oppose to the regular dvd cover. I mean, what's up with that?? It's his site and he does what they pay him to do but to market "Blu-ray" that much is.....argggghhhh!
compare to:

Originally Posted by danol
How many of you or times you have been told to stay away from Discarded DVD material bins or bags, found at the rental stores back entrances or garbage bins/bags.?

About 10 times by different employees, looking for Outside Cover Art and/or Inserts. Latest forage 4 "Chicago" inserts, 1 "We Were Soldiers" insert and 1 "Animatrix" insert for DVD of same name.

Nothing I can use today, but there is always the chance some new employee will throw out, all of what my wheelchair ran over and tore to shreads. LOL
and:

You guys think I can spring out my wheelchair ala "Golfinger" and into the dumpters like Crash Overide And Acid Burn of "Hackers"? LOL

Come along now haven't any of you seen a 3 foot stick with a red trigger on it called EzeReacher, it extends the reach of the user by 3 feet, far more than enough to grab up to 5 pounds of stuff to look through.

LOL Cheese and crackers you guys crack me up, next thing you will be asking is how much do they cost, and do I break a few doing the 'human' crane bit. The answer to the first part is $9.95 for 1 and $8.95 for more than one. I also use the old EzyReacher which didn't have the suction cups for the price of $4.95 each.

I have dozens waiting to be pulled out of my overloaded closet ready to do my bidding, just like Baroni the Genie of "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad" AKA Richard Eyer. LOL What a bunch of great guys poking some fun 'with' sorry to say real wheechaired guy!
and:

Now to get down to real business, I used the bike trail with my viper blue, then some fields good thing I don't have much testycalls to crush (ouch) for the viper blue don't have springs or tampon absorbers. I 'came' up in back of the BB, and got my trusty Eze reacher out and pulled on a big garbage bag.

I had to do the human crane whoop, whoop, bit and to my sirrize they were 312 keep cases, I found that out after counting them at my apartment. Hey get your "Chicago" inserts here, there were 56 of them each with its own insert. BB never see me cuming or leavin, with a over stuffed bag of keep cases. Me foaming at the mouth with some tired melons that went to the John Cougar Melon camp for arrest.

Grandma got run over by a rain-dear, but grandpa keeps a searching for them thar dumsters for nose gold, just to keep tweakin dude. Cover art cases thrown out by new employees that think they grow on amaraid keep in case trees or bushes amonst the wood pusy's AKA Skunks cabbage patch.
and:

Now down to other news I had to move hundreds of thrown out VCR cases and Direct TV literature to get at one bag of DVD cases, wouldn't you know it their were more inserts for that DVD "Chicago". I liked Catherine Zeta-Jones(Mrs. Michael Douglas) better in "The Haunting' remake than "Traffic". I may have all the DVD inserts but I am not interested in the "Chicago" DVD. I distictively heard my eze reacher 'groaning' under the strain of pulling bags over to me.

I thought by now the big oversized dumpsters would be filled to the gills with empty cases. I firmly believe more than one members or lurkers are taking this informative thread as a way to get keep cases for free by taking the bags of keep cases home and sifting through them like I do. Copy cats it was my idea to get at the eleusive dumpsters from behind on the bike trail and Newfort St in Palmer Township. Beware I carry some nasty stuff to spray and make you glow in the dark, while your screaming your eyes are on fire or if you come too close you will get the 50,000 Volt shock of your life via a arc of electricy to where your body is touched! If their are more than one tasered, besides touched with voltage to make you want to do hand springs down the block like a rolling stone.

Back in sixties the Song was called "Don't Mess with Bill, Now I am adding don't mess with Danol either, or your in for a very unpleasant experience at the scene and at the nearest Police Jail cell still stinging with pain. I as disabled man on a 4 wheel scooter you are the bad guys/gals, my right is to defend against all who would want to harm me, just because they want what is the Block Buster dumster. I do not stick out my tongue what I do stick out can be very unpleasant, so stay for your health if not your sanity from the Palmer Township Block Buster dumpster on Wm. Penn Highway. They're mine and I will do anything to keep it that way, paper or plastic doesn't smell. If you grope around the melted sweets thrown out, do the busy bees come after you.
I throw them a lollypop full of what bees like 'sugar to lick on' while I stay clear and in the thown out DVD stuff!
If so, welcome back, old friend. We have missed you dearly. If not, I apologize to all concerned, but the similarities are just to close to be coincidence.
Old 11-21-08, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
No, it does not bother me when people tell me what I should do.

I make my own decisions.
Old 11-21-08, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Wait, I'm lost!
Who told you to throw away all your DVDs?
Old 11-21-08, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts