Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Old 10-22-14, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts
re: Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Rats: Night of Terror

Blue Underground utilizes a heavily-filtered film transfer that is vaguely Hi-Def in quality. The Italian cult film has its moments as a cheesy 80's flick.
Old 10-22-14, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Prison
The Blob (1988)
Prophecy: Uprising
Prophecy: Forsaken

Last edited by EdTheRipper; 10-26-14 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-23-14, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Snowpiercer
Old 10-24-14, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

Life After Beth

Old 10-24-14, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Nightmare on Elm Street 2
Nightmare on Elm Street 3
Old 10-24-14, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Neighbors (2104) - Just ok, few laughs, guess I'm getting old. Get off my lawn.
Old 10-24-14, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sleepy Hollow
Old 10-24-14, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

2nd + 3rd episodes from

I know a lot of people weren't as high on this season, but from what I've seen so far, it's as good as it's ever been.

first 4 episodes from

God, am I gonna miss this show. Every time a new set comes out I keep forgetting how genuinely funny it is. Solid humor fully borne out of character, not just generic schtick and one liners.
Haven't seen it yet, but as soon as I heard the wolf howl outside Meagan's house I fully expect to see
Spoiler:
fear and dread from the- initially unsolved-Manson murders coloring events at some point.

First off- I find slasher movies pretty boring. This is usually cited as one of, if not the first proto-slasher movies- especially in regards to the teens/sex/punishment dynamic. And while there is a bit of that at the beginning, I was relieved to see the actual plot is more concerned with a cast of middle aged characters who are working towards a goal when they collide with a homicidal maniac in a secluded location. Far from a great film or even some undiscovered gem, it still offers an interesting locale, is well paced offering a generous amount of nudity from a couple attractive cast members to perk things up intermittently, has a couple good jump scares along with tons of great atmosphere and supernatural overtones, and is competently directed and produced so that it's low budget never seems to get in the way.
Old 10-25-14, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

American Muscle
Old 10-25-14, 08:40 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Life After Beth

me too. it was ok, but devolved into ordinary zom-com.
Old 10-25-14, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Aubrey Plaza was a little annoying in that movie.

Sex Tape

The Rob Lowe and Jack Black scenes were the best parts but not a LOL comedy.

Old 10-25-14, 07:40 PM

Frozen River...just an excellent movie in the vein of Winter's Bone. damn fine performances.
Old 10-25-14, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 10-26-14, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Lost Boys: The Tribe
Old 10-26-14, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mildly perverse pre-code horror about a rich island plantation owner who covets a nubile bride-to-be, and plots with the aid of Voodoo master Lugosi to spirit her away (literally) from her finance and turn her into a compliant companion...by making her into a zombie.
Great premise (ripe for a re-make) that, despite a short barely over an hour run time, often feels glacially paced. I'm not a fan of Lugosi, but this is probably the best and most interesting performance I've seen him give. Much creepier and more menacing here than in Dracula.
PQ wasn't as initially bad as I thought. The biggest problem is (besides the elements which are several generations removed from the source) that gamma is set too low, which opens up every last bit of shadow detail left in the dupe elements, but also reveals weaknesses in the compression/encoding. Raising the gamma on the display and dropping down the brightness and contrast helped quite a bit. It also gets better about midway through. All in all quite watchable copy of something that's been circulating in public domain hell for most of it's existence on home video. While it's nowhere near as good as the restored Universal Monster classics, it is substantially better than some of their recently released 30's horror MODs.

Ok, White Zombie was an interesting artifact- but this is the real deal in every sense. Despite being a 1932 production (just like WZ), this feels more modern in every way. From the more naturalistic performances from accomplished vets like Wray and Banks and future star McCrea, to the brisker pace- this has aged remarkably well and, for me, is a far more entertaining watch these days than either the original Dracula or Frankenstein.
Flicker Alley's Bd is somewhat expensive, but well worth it with A/V quality that easily beats Criterions standard def release of a decade back offering a high degree of fine detail, a stable image with just a minimum of intermittent damage, and full, lush grey scale.
Old 10-26-14, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,544 Likes on 2,540 Posts

A complete reboot of the Leprechaun series. It's more of a traditional monster/slasher movie than a dark horror comedy. No Warrick Davis this time around.
Old 10-26-14, 04:08 PM

Edge of Tomorrow...damn entertaining cinema, damn entertaining.
Old 10-26-14, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
A complete reboot of the Leprechaun series. It's more of a traditional monster/slasher movie than a dark horror comedy. No Warrick Davis this time around.
I've heard so many bad things about this reboot. It has not been well received by Leprechaun fans.
Old 10-26-14, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Lost Boys: The Thirst
Phantom of the Paradise
Chernobyl Diaries
Old 10-27-14, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Neighbors

Overrated and better comedies out there though maybe none that were released in 2014.

Old 10-27-14, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

X-Men Days of Future Past. Damn good comic movie IMHO.
Old 10-28-14, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Frozen(2010)
No One Lives
See No Evil
Old 10-28-14, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Last 4 eps from

As a single release (really just a short season), it didn't end as strong as it began, though there was still plenty to enjoy. My biggest disappointment would be that the last ep in particular spins it's wheels hard all in the effort of seeming to get back to the previous season's status quo. For a show that is lining up it's pieces for an end game, it's not progressing as much as it initially seemed. We'll see.

Not a perfect film, but an interesting take on the material to contemplate. Just knowing some plot points before I saw it had me feeling that this story would have far more thematic relevance for young girls (and boys) growing up in this cultural era than the animated version ever had in any era. There are definitely some interesting ideas to chew on, that are unfortunately undermined a bit by constraints of the preordained happy ending. All in all, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Jolie effortlessly essays the iconic title character and is probably the best special effect in a film full of striking imagery.
Although a good part of the film was post converted, the filmmakers were savvy enough to shoot it with an eye towards 3D viewing- meaning , unlike Winter Soldier for instance, not a lot of whiplash camera moves and staccato cutting. The 3D is elegantly sedate for the most part- though will likely be a disappointment to viewers who crave a lot of pop outs.
The UK disc is Region Free and worth the slight premium to import.

Hole filled detective yarn which betrays it's actual shooting location by having so many supposedly NYC based extras speaking with a hint of an English accent. The big draw here is author Mickey Spillane playing the character he created. And while he's not the greatest actor, he's much better than you would expect for a dilettante and makes for a believably tough and grizzled Hammer. I would have enjoyed seeing him play the role in a couple more films. Too bad this is all there is.
Old 10-29-14, 08:56 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

Watched Prison this evening...

Old 10-29-14, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mario Bava's colorful low budget sci-fi/horror show remains a textbook example of the power of ingenuity over money to spin an entertaining, and visually entrancing, yarn.
It also forms one half of the template used for the original Alien (with It! The Terror From Beyond Space filling out the rest).
The screen caps on DVD Beaver looked like the black levels were slightly elevated and the color less vibrant than some of us were expecting. So, before I watched even one scene I raised the gamma on my display, further turned the brightness down a couple clicks, and pushed the color up a few more.
Couldn't have been more happy with the resultant image which had deep blacks, strong vivid colors and still retained a slew of shadow detail.
For fans of this kind of material, this release is absolutely one of the best of the year. A tremendous package that finally gives this movie the treatment it's long deserved.

Was able to look past the dodgy presentation, of which only a part is attributable to it's 16mm origins, to appreciate the amount of craft Bob Clarke brought to this- which, along with Tower Of Evil, is considered the origin of the modern slasher film.
Well cast, with strong performances by everyone, and very well paced. After a half dozen viewings over the decades, I still found this to be a tense experience.
Part of that is no doubt due to it not having a cartoonish, franchise super-villain at it's core. That aspect, along with Clarke's clear respect for the power of the viewers imagination as far as gore and grue (much more is implied than actually shown), made me appreciate this last viewing more than I ever have.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.