Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-17, 08:15 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts
Re: Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Watched the Director's Cut of The Lawnmower Man this evening...

Old 06-21-17, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Excellent costume/ court intrigue drama with a literate script and sensational location production value as is typical of Fox's efforts from the era. Welles makes for a spectacular villain- even better here as a young, handsome Cesare Borgia oozing menace than as the caricatured heavy in Touch Of Evil. Really makes me eager to check out Chimes At Midnight now. Powers swashbucklers are always entertaining, and this one is right up there with Mark Of Zorro, imo. Probably the most completely satisfying movies I've watched in several weeks. Great support from Everett Sloane and the lovely and saintly Wanda Hendrix.
Old 06-22-17, 08:30 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched Horns this evening.
Old 06-23-17, 09:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Birdman of Alcatraz
Old 06-24-17, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Old 06-24-17, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had taken this off my list to rent after all the mediocre reviews I heard from fellow members. But yesterday I was at Family Video and the trailer came on their in store TV. So I succumbed to the lure that is Jennifer Anniston, Kate McKinnon and Olivia Munn and got it. It wasn't quite as bad for me but I will agree it wasn't a great movie. Part of it is with the level of talent you have to go in expecting quite a bit and it just doesn't deliver. There were several chuckles but this should have been a laugh riot and it wasn't. Pretty much every one of these actors I find hilarious in other various roles but this was pretty lackluster.
Old 06-24-17, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Got a little stoned and popped this in:

Made the movie seem even more dream like, which was cool.
Old 06-24-17, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I want to see Office Christmas Party but Netflix always skips it even when it is #1 in my que though it is supposedly on "Short Wait since March.

As a straight male I admit Pacino and De Niro looked great in this movie.

Some typical Pacino chewing the scenery moments mixed in as well lol.

Old 06-24-17, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I want to see Office Christmas Party but Netflix always skips it even when it is #1 in my que though it is supposedly on "Short Wait since March.
From the outtakes, I think they had a hell of a time making this film. Too bad all that talent didn't translate to the screen. Definitely worth a rental if you like the people.
Old 06-24-17, 09:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

The Accidental Tourist...very well done and better than I expected. Didn't know much about story, but very Kasdan. Very stilted, uncomfortable dialogue. Really enjoyed. Not sure Davis was Oscar worthy performance, but she was very good. Quirky a bit by solid script and nice story.
Old 06-24-17, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester
From the outtakes, I think they had a hell of a time making this film. Too bad all that talent didn't translate to the screen. Definitely worth a rental if you like the people.
I agree. More serious than slapstick comedy. It was just under ok.
Old 06-24-17, 09:14 PM

Dear mods,
I think we should make it a rule that with every movie watched should be a few words said about movie. Even liked or disliked. I'm always curious and some post titles and that's it. I'm interested...

Thanks,
OldBoy
Old 06-25-17, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe but some movies are so bland or boring and not worth talking about.

Nothing really exciting here

Old 06-25-17, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Dear mods,
I think we should make it a rule that with every movie watched should be a few words said about movie. Even liked or disliked. I'm always curious and some post titles and that's it. I'm interested...

Thanks,
OldBoy
I've said that numerous times. Doesn't take long to type bland and boring if that's what it is.
Old 06-25-17, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Talk of the reboot got me to watch this again.

Kind of a goofy fantasy take on the Great Wall of China that is there to defend against monsters. Interesting technology given the time it's set in.
Old 06-25-17, 12:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester

Talk of the reboot got me to watch this again...
Seriously? They are going to attempt a second reboot? I hope Marvel is involved this time. But even "Spider-man: Homecoming" isn't something I am chomping at the bit to see... Put them in the marvel Universe but please don't give us yet another lame origin story!
Old 06-25-17, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

As a straight male I admit Pacino and De Niro looked great in this movie.

Some typical Pacino chewing the scenery moments mixed in as well lol.

"Don't waste my motherfucking time!"

Old 06-25-17, 01:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in a mood for music... My attention span wasn't there to sit through a movie. That's why I love concerts. I can sit and watch and then get up and not feel like I have to be glued to my seat...the visual is nice but the music is the primary interest. For quite some time, the disc "Concert for George" was something I was very sad I was unable to acquire at a decent price. I came close to buying a used DVD copy on a number of occasions. However, one day a few months back I went to the CD Universe website and they had it in stock and brand new for $18.99! That was an amazing thing considering what it would cost via Amazon or Ebay to purchase this OOP Rhino disc. I also recently picked up the long OOP Image release, "Roy Orbison: Black and White Night" at Zia Record Exchange. It looks and sounds terrific so I won't be purchasing the 30th Anniversary Edition which was recently released. I also prefer the original packaging.

Old 06-25-17, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
"Don't waste my motherfucking time!"

LOL

Old 06-25-17, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Kung Fu Yoga (2017):

Jackie Chan's last movie. Bought the DVD from my recent trip to Asia. Kind of a goofy action-comedy-fantasy. The girls in this movie are gorgeous. 2 stunning Indian actresses and the Chinese actresses are all hot.

Some really weird CGI in this movie.

Go Lala Go 2 (2015)

Also bought the BD of this from my trip to Asia. Really liked this movie a lot. It's a sweet romantic comedy about a young 30-something career woman who pretends to be the VP of her company while her boss is out injured to help lure a huge client. She ends up in sort of a love triangle with her current boyfriend and the new client who falls in love with her. She struggles to figure out what she really wants with her life.

This movie was actually co-produced by FOX. Lots of gorgeous Chinese women in this including the lead Arielle Lin.
Old 06-26-17, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Lego Batman Movie

Probably funnier than most movies that are just strictly comedies like Daddy's Home.

Old 06-26-17, 08:17 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched I Am Number Four this evening. Not bad at all...
Old 06-26-17, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kd5
Watched I Am Number Four this evening. Not bad at all...
I liked that movie. First time I saw Teresa Palmer who I love. Also an early role for Emily Wickersham
Old 06-27-17, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Even better than I remembered it. Ray Milland directs a modest AIP budgeted Apocalyptic drama from a lean, efficient, and surprisingly intelligent screenplay. A family on the road for a camping trip finds that nuclear war has broken out and it's every man for himself.
I'd rate this alongside The Day The Earth Caught Fire and The World, The Flesh, and The Devil (and Dawn Of The Dead) as my favorite End Of The World themed films.
Even Frankie Avalon, playing the son, acquits himself well.

Spoiler:
One of my favorite movies of all time, and a big reason for why I made a pricey upgrade to my speaker system last year - anticipation for finally seeing this properly. Despite how high I value this film, this is actually the first time I've watched the Bd all the way through since getting it in 2012. Up till now, all I'd do is sample a scene or two a couple times a year. The sad fact is, this is the movie I've seen more than any other in the theater (over 30 times), and multiple times on every home video format since. I've been trying to wait for the 'right time' to sit down and watch it again, and it just hasn't come. At this point, as much as I love it, watching it again is more likely to end up being an just a robotic, rote experience.

But after five years I finally gave up and decided to spin it again.
No, it's not the same experience that it once was anymore- but I was happy and relieved to find there were still a lot of little pleasure to be had despite being all too familiar- especially in all the wonderful performances.
This go round I also was struck by the editing. Not just for the shark attack scenes, but all through the film. Spielberg has always been quick to give Verna Fields credit for making the shark scenes work- but the fact is, the whole film is cut beautifully. This is fully her film as much as it is Spielberg's.

Since this is the first time fully watching the Bd, I gotta say that anyone who criticizes the job Universal did here, is daft. This was as fine a presentation of the film as any I ever would have seen in the theater back in the day. It's quite possible that some of the color timing as it relates to some of the water shots may be skewing more blue as opposed to the green algae cast it probably originally had.
The greener looking shots I've seen do "feel" more accurate to me- I get more of a nostalgic twinge looking at them compared to the blue ones. But in all practicality, it wasn't a deal breaker for me.
The film overall just looked too amazing otherwise. I would be ecstatic if every film I cared about was represented as relatively faithfully as this one.

And as far as the audio went- even though the mono track is lossy, it was far and away the best I've ever heard the film sound. I feel completely justified now in dropping the money I did last year on new speakers.
Old 07-01-17, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.