Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-09, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Originally Posted by buckee1
30Days of Night. Say what you will about the film itself (I know I have) but the A/V for this Blu Ray is incredible and seriously demo material. The level of detail, crispness & clarity is incredible!
I actually would really like the movie, but the constant high pitched screaming blasting throughout the film, is only further emphasized on the Blu-Ray. It really ruins the film for me. It's one of those movies I kept in my collection b/c there are some scenes I like a lot.
Old 09-18-09, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coraline and Origins: Spirits of the Past. Both great movies and great presentations(especially Coraline).
Old 09-18-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tell No One. An entertaining if fairly forgettable and predictable thriller. It was well directed and some of the performances in this film were great, but the story was too vague during the first half and too rushed and convoluted during the second act (especially near the conclusion). I actually saw the ending coming and wasn't that impressed by the "twists" that were supposed to be shocking. Maybe it's because I knew there were supposed to be twists going in but I did not find the reveals to be too exciting, and the actual conclusion was typical of a Hollywood production - not necessarily a bad thing but I was quite surprised by how much this French film felt like an American one. Good PQ - a good rental for a Friday night.
Old 09-18-09, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crank 2
Last House on the Left remake
Old 09-19-09, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I Love You Man entertaining enough. A good rental from BB. A good movie for date night with the wife but I doubt I would ever own it.

Rundown and Top Gun I don't know why I upgraded my SD's of these movies other than the fact they were about $3. Rundown is OK and Top Gun is dated but they are both pretty fun in HD. Glad I didn't spring for a BD version though.
Old 09-19-09, 02:40 AM

I re-watched Repo! A Genetic Opera. PQ was stylish but superb.
Old 09-19-09, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Braveheart. This was my first time viewing it. I gotta say, I wasn't nearly as impressed as most people seem to be, but I still thought it was a great film. Flawed - but great. The performance Mel Gibson gave as William Wallace was excellent, James Horner's score was beautiful, and the cinematography was strong. The script was strong in some aspects (such as important scenes regarding the importance of freedom and the powerful devastation of the betrayal of men) and lacking in others - in particular I felt not enough setup was given to the romance to properly ground that aspect of the film and make it as believable as it could have been especially given that it was what caused Wallace to start his revolution for freedom in the first place. Mel Gibson seems to have a good director's eye - while stylistically different than what I typically would lean towards appreciating, he truly understands emotion in the composition of his imagery.
Old 09-19-09, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by GenPion
Braveheart. This was my first time viewing it. I gotta say, I wasn't nearly as impressed as most people seem to be, but I still thought it was a great film. Flawed - but great. The performance Mel Gibson gave as William Wallace was excellent, James Horner's score was beautiful, and the cinematography was strong. The script was strong in some aspects (such as important scenes regarding the importance of freedom and the powerful devastation of the betrayal of men) and lacking in others - in particular I felt not enough setup was given to the romance to properly ground that aspect of the film and make it as believable as it could have been especially given that it was what caused Wallace to start his revolution for freedom in the first place. Mel Gibson seems to have a good director's eye - while stylistically different than what I typically would lean towards appreciating, he truly understands emotion in the composition of his imagery.
You've got to be shitting me. I just watched Braveheartfor my first time too.

I bought this with the Gladiator/Braveheart deal at BB, and had next to no intent beyond trading it. But I was pretty bored on Wednesday night so I popped it in and gave it a shot.

I thought the movie was pretty awesome, the roughly 3-hour run-time went pretty quick. Excellent PQ, loved the music too!
Old 09-20-09, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Moopher
You've got to be shitting me. I just watched Braveheartfor my first time too.

I bought this with the Gladiator/Braveheart deal at BB, and had next to no intent beyond trading it. But I was pretty bored on Wednesday night so I popped it in and gave it a shot.

I thought the movie was pretty awesome, the roughly 3-hour run-time went pretty quick. Excellent PQ, loved the music too!
Yeah, the movie was pretty awesome, and the run time went by fast - I agree - which will make it an easy movie to revisit in the future. I'm glad I got this on Blu-ray. I definetly got a good deal on it too - $24.99 and Gladiator was free (with the Hastings B1G1 sale). I just need to get a copy of the score now.

Last watched is Coraline. I watched it for a second time. Still love it. Great film, outstanding PQ/AQ. A must own.
Old 09-20-09, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

X Men Origins : Wolverine
Great AQ & VQ . Nothing at all negative to say. I actually liked it a whole lot more at home than I did when I saw it theatrically.
Old 09-20-09, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sin City-Theatrical Cut
Old 09-20-09, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Serenity for the umpteenth time. But a real entertaining movie that looks great in HD
Old 09-20-09, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Adventureland. I absolutely loved this movie. I could definitely relate to some of the characters. This also had a lot more substance to it than I expected going in. I somewhat reluctantly put this in my Netflix Que since I loved Superbad, but I thought this looked downright terrible from the trailers. That is not at all the case. This is a mature and thoughtful piece of film-making that demonstrates Greg Mottola as an even better film-maker than I had imagined - it is even better than Superbad was, though not quite as funny, it is a film that has a much more meaningful story to tell. Great PQ too - a must own Blu-ray release for me. I hope to pick this one up as soon as it goes on sale.
Old 09-21-09, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Wolverine
Inkheart (rental)
Old 09-21-09, 11:34 AM

surveillance
Above the law
Old 09-21-09, 11:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The Wages of Fear

Zulu - even though the disc has been noted to being DNR'd - that didn't stop me from being completely wow'ed by the transfer. The film looks like it was shot last week and the colors looked magnificent: the eye-popping reds, the intense orange hues of the flames and the bluest of blue skies - major thumbs up!

The 400 Blows - the screen grabs from blu-ray.com didn't impress me, but 'in-motion' the hidef transfer really showed off it's full potential.
Old 09-21-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Knowing what an amazing disc for such a crappy movie. I really hated that thing and want my 2 hours back.
Old 09-22-09, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Started my Lost S2 set. Just as amazing as ever (of course).
Old 09-22-09, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Watched Serenity again. Great PQ and a fun sound mix. My only gripe is that the dialogue sounds rather crappy at times. As if it was all live audio that was cleaned up in post.
Old 09-22-09, 08:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Repulsion - great film, great transfer and wow, in one scene where

Spoiler:
she's slicing up the guy with the razor at the end was exceedingly brutal by 1965 standards - unreal!
Old 09-22-09, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sometimes reviewing has its perks... and sometimes it doesn't. I had to watch Bride Wars the other day.... dreadful film with decent PQ and weak AQ. Oh, it was painful.

Last edited by islandclaws; 09-22-09 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-22-09, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wanted Again, had a couple hours to kill this afternoon. Look up mindless entertainment in the dictionary and you'll see this along side.
Old 09-22-09, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Someimtes reviewing has its perks... and sometimes it doesn't. I had to watch Bride Wars the other day.... dreadful film with decent PQ and weak AQ. Oh, it was painful.
Thank God for rentals. Didn't waste anything but 90 minutes on this glorious piece of entertainment.
Old 09-22-09, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Haunted World of El Superbeasto. Great, great movie. Hilarious from start to finish. If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and check it out. 8/10.

Observe and Report - Jody Hill may very well be my favorite current writer/director. While not up to par with The Foot Fist Way or Eastbound & Down IMO, O&R is still excellent and worth a watch (well, more than one). 8/10

Last edited by PopcornBandit; 09-23-09 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-22-09, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Sky Crawlers-highly recommended. Avoid the dub even if you're a fan of dubs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.