Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-17, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Old 03-18-17, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looked good but I was surprised, most movies have been looking stunning upconverted on the 4K set. Like seeing the movie for the first time all over again. This looked good but not as stunning as I'd hoped.

By the way, when the zombies are attracted to noise, try to remember not to set up a loudspeaker and piss them off even more. Apparently the undead are not in a very good most of the time.
Old 03-19-17, 11:44 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Elle...just sublime. Huppert was amazing. i haven't seen Fences yet, but this was Oscar worthy. unbelievable her expressions, her emotions, her toughness. almost no traces this is a Paul Verhoeven film. maybe the videogame imagery, but this is unlike anything i've seen him do. well done!
Old 03-19-17, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm told there is quite an improvement over the BR with UHD but I really don't want to upgrade any BR titles to find out. This is such a fun romp. Hope they don't ruin 2 by adding Channing Tatum.
Old 03-19-17, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Bleed For This. Maybe Miles Teller was miscast. Aaron Eckhart was great and probably one of the more underrated actors.

Passengers

W. Whatever you think of his politics this was an entertaining movie after a third watch.

Old 03-19-17, 10:06 PM

Bleed For This...better than average cliched boxing movie. Didn't know the history but got chills at end. Eckhart is great. I guess Teller was ok, but someone could have brought a little more gravitas to role. Still not bad.
Old 03-20-17, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Edge of Seventeen

I thought it was pretty good.

Old 03-20-17, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last thing I watched was a UHD: Passengers.
Old 03-21-17, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

We Are The Flesh (2016)
Old 03-21-17, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
Last thing I watched was a UHD: Passengers.
How was it? We saw it in the theaters and I thought it was pretty good. My wife said it took too long to get going but was OK after that. I was thinking about getting this anyway because I am anxious to get a few more UHD titles on the shelf. Trying to avoid the same pitfalls as DVD and BR but excited about the new format at the same time.
Old 03-21-17, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Just knocked out the Shout Factory Robocop 2 BD and with fan-fucking-tastic.
Old 03-21-17, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Just watched Assassin's Creed. Was putting me to sleep
Old 03-22-17, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester
How was it? We saw it in the theaters and I thought it was pretty good. My wife said it took too long to get going but was OK after that. I was thinking about getting this anyway because I am anxious to get a few more UHD titles on the shelf. Trying to avoid the same pitfalls as DVD and BR but excited about the new format at the same time.

it is ok but not worth the money to own it.
Old 03-23-17, 09:00 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

We watched Passengers this evening, enjoyed the hell out of it!
Old 03-23-17, 09:03 PM

The Love Witch...terrible. Couldn't get through it. Never watched those era of movies. Didn't care for this at all.
Old 03-25-17, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
it is ok but not worth the money to own it.
I did end up grabbing this because it was mostly RZ money so hopefully I'll get a few enjoyable viewings out of it.

Saw this in the theater and was largely disappointed given the quality of talent. Kristen Wiig is a local girl so I love seeing her. I knew this is one I could put on for both of us to watch and those are hard to come by. I did enjoy the feature with the real David Ghantt in the extras. Also interviewed the FBI agents who let it be known just how inept these people were.

Picked this up with some RZ bucks earlier this week. Had seen it before but couldn't remember anything about it. This was absolutely the most stunning UHD out of the few I have seen. An A/B comparison gives the UHD a solid 1.5 to 2 point higher score. Unbelievably gorgeous.

Last edited by JimRochester; 03-25-17 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-25-17, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nocturnal Animals

The opening had to be one of the strangest and most disgusting things I ever seen on cinema lol. At first I thought I was watching a Farrelly Bros movie.

It was alright but with this cast I thought it would be great since I am a big Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal fan and expected more. I liked the score by Abel Korzeniowski.

The Godfather Part III. It is not horrible but obviously not as good as parts I and II and the movie kind of slows down when they go to Italy.

Old 03-25-17, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

X-Men: First Class

4/5
Old 03-26-17, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This was probably a waste of money. I enjoy the movie but the wife finds it too slow moving and she went to bed. Also I expected a dramatic difference, but this one had the 4K and BR looking almost identical.

I liked this movie in the theaters so it was worth a RZ dollars purchase. Didn't recognize Alison Wright who plays Martha on the Americans the first time I saw this. I though Affleck did a nice job with this one. The BR and 4k were a more typical 1 point difference in detail and color on a 1 -10 scale.
Old 03-26-17, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Solace

Old 03-27-17, 09:15 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Watched After Earth this evening. Not as bad as people were saying it was.
Old 03-29-17, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Spoiler:
The solo Marvel movie I've most been looking forward to. Ultimately it was OK, with some very good aspects, and some not so good. The latter was mostly the humor which came across as way too forced and is going to date this movie more than anything. Cumberbatch who initially was my ideal casting choice was unfortunately playing yet another variation of Tony Stark. On the plus side the much lauded effects were indeed fun and I like the atypical (for a Marvel film) Star Trek type ending.
The 3D was a bit underwhelming too.

Spoiler:
Competently made B grade cop vs psycho killer yarn. One thing in it's favor is that there is really only one sensational 'jigsaw' killing, and it's even committed off screen prior to the start of the film. The killer is also ID'd pretty early on so the film eschews most of the usual cliches of this genre.
This was a movie I used to like to rent in the VHS era due to having the hots for Michelle Johnson who plays alcoholic cop Chad Everetts daughter. Fun to see it again in a dedicated HT environment.
Bonus points for giving the psycho one of the most purposefully laughable "rugs" in cinema history.

Spoiler:
First version I ever saw of Cain's iconic material. Once i saw the original Garfield/Turner classic a few years later though, this version got resigned to a gimmicky also ran in my imagination and I hadn't watched it since.
I'd been tired of watching Jack be Jack for a while, and the much publicized explicitness actually played a lot tamer on a 25" screen. By contrast the original had a sensationally charismatic Garfield playing a mostly sympathetic noir chump opposite Lana Turner at the pinnacle of her allure- and the chemistry between the two was electric. It's been my got to version ever since.

That might change now as I really enjoyed seeing this version again. In a lot of ways it's much more faithful to the source (especially in regards to the doomed husband Nick, played pitch perfectly by John "Baltar" Colicos). The production design and period detail is also first rate and captured beautifully by Sven Nykvist. While they lacked the combustible chemistry of the original stars, both Nicholson and Lange essay their parts very well. Nice to see Jack tamp it down, and Lange is legitimately very good. This was two years before the industry legitimized her with two AA nominations in the same year. At this point in her career she was still mostly known for being a former model whose only real claim to fame was as the lead in the King Kong remake.
But you can clearly see here, she had the chops.

The first rate presentation of the Bd definitely upped my appreciation of it all around.

Europa '51 from

Spoiler:
I'm 0 for 2 on this set. At this point, I don't even think I'm going to bother with Stromboli. Journey to Italy didn't do it for me, despite my love for George Sanders. And with this one, I could barely keep my eyes open- and didn't even bother to try for long stretches.
I know it's highly regarded, and at one point in my life I would have prided myself on exploring material like this (and maybe even have enjoyed it).
But watching this last night was a real struggle, and by the time the curtain fell it seemed like all it had to offer was academic pretension.
With so much backlog to get through, as well as a ton of things I honestly love and want to watch again, I can't see ever revisiting these.
I think I'm just gonna sell off the set.
Old 03-29-17, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Life on the Line

Stupid Netflix I wanted Fences and not this.

Old 03-29-17, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just picked this up at a cheap price. I probably hadn't watched this movie from beginning to end in 20 years. Great cinematography and a fantastic looking BD:

Old 04-01-17, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Watched two films that I had originally bought back in early days of DVD. Back then I remember being excited to finally see both after having been curious about them for years. For various reasons though, I didn't like either and quickly sold them off.

Enough years have passed, and I've reassessed enough films via Bd with positive results lately, that it seemed like these were ripe for rediscovery.

first up was

Spoiler:
which was every bit as laughably bad as I remembered it being. Packed to the point of bursting with every genre cliche you can think of, but delivered with such po-faced solemnity that you can't help but imagine the filmmakers thought they were the first people to discover them. Nearly every 'surprise' is artlessly telegraphed in advance and the only thing the gritty NYC location work brings is disappointment that it's wasted on such weak material.

Some movies are charming enough to get away with so blatantly recycling the same old same old, but this is the second time this one has rubbed me the wrong way.

Spoiler:
Ok, this was more like it. A superior film in every conceivable way, with richly delineated characters with relatable philosophies careening through a compelling series of events. Fascinating to watch in light of our Commander -in-Chiefs off-hand comments last year about being able to shoot someone in the middle of the street and not lose his supporters.

Can't believe this didn't click with me when I first saw it, because I was fully riveted this time. Great performances all around with some especially affecting work from Heard.

So I was 1 for 2 last night. But that's OK, because the winner was so good, it more than made up for the stinker.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.