Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration Blu-ray Collection - 9/23/08

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration Blu-ray Collection - 9/23/08

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Buy is going to have it for $69.99 which actually is pretty good. But i'll still go with amazon since i have prime.
Old 09-16-08, 10:34 AM

Here is a Digital Bits review of the Blue Ray edition which seems to make it clear as to what Coppola was shooting for in relation to video quality:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...arest.html#god
Old 09-16-08, 10:38 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
So in less than 24 hours he managed to review all three films and the numerous hours of bonus features?

I'm setting aside an entire week to hopefully get through all that stuff...for the first time.
Old 09-16-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
Wow, it looks good. However, there are a few white specs on the shot with the car and the Statue of Liberty in the background. I hope that doesn't happen often throughout the transfer.

Yes, this is a problem throughout all three movies...although it doesn't occur frequently enough to annoy and occurs more with the first movie than the sequels. It does, however, occur frequently enough to prevent me from giving the video a "perfect" score. You think someone would have caught them and removed them considering the amount of work they put into these restorations.

I think the fact that they had to use a lot of different sources of both original negatives and dupes to restore Part I shows in the print...most scenes look great, but some look a little TOO bright or a little TOO drained of color.

On the other hand, I think Godfather II might be my favorite of the three visually...it's damn near perfect - retaining both the film look and still giving us the detail you expect to see from high definition. It was like watching that film for the first time again...outstanding work on this one.

The Godfather III, of course, looks great...but I was happy to see that it maintains the slight grain and film look of the other two films. I'm not sure they got it right with the previous DVD release...but this one looks spot-on.

Overall, I'd say 4 out of 5 stars for video on Blu-ray.
Old 09-16-08, 12:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Yes, this is a problem throughout all three movies...although it doesn't occur frequently enough to annoy and occurs more with the first movie than the sequels. It does, however, occur frequently enough to prevent me from giving the video a "perfect" score. You think someone would have caught them and removed them considering the amount of work they put into these restorations.

I think the fact that they had to use a lot of different sources of both original negatives and dupes to restore Part I shows in the print...most scenes look great, but some look a little TOO bright or a little TOO drained of color.

On the other hand, I think Godfather II might be my favorite of the three visually...it's damn near perfect - retaining both the film look and still giving us the detail you expect to see from high definition. It was like watching that film for the first time again...outstanding work on this one.

The Godfather III, of course, looks great...but I was happy to see that it maintains the slight grain and film look of the other two films. I'm not sure they got it right with the previous DVD release...but this one looks spot-on.

Overall, I'd say 4 out of 5 stars for video on Blu-ray.
I read that very little was done (audio/video) tweaking for III, but the American Cinematographer article mentioned it as a director's cut - is there new footage for III? I know that one scene was trimmed of it's violence to secure it's R-rating, but I doubt it's been restored for this version (or has it?)
Old 09-16-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
I read that very little was done (audio/video) tweaking for III, but the American Cinematographer article mentioned it as a director's cut - is there new footage for III? I know that one scene was trimmed of it's violence to secure it's R-rating, but I doubt it's been restored for this version (or has it?)
The only home video version ever available has been the director's cut...I think it adds about 9-minutes of footage - including one painfully bad acted scene between Sophia Coppola and Al Pacino (you can guess who's doing the bad acting).

It's possible I'm remembering the VHS version of III rather than the DVD one - or maybe it's just my reaction from seeing it on Blu-ray compared to DVD (the film now has a deeper, richer look to it). Part III definitely maintains the color pallet of I and II in this new release, though. I'm quite happy with the way it looks, changes or not.
Old 09-16-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
The only home video version ever available has been the director's cut...I think it adds about 9-minutes of footage - including one painfully bad acted scene between Sophia Coppola and Al Pacino (you can guess who's doing the bad acting).

Both?
Old 09-16-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Cartload
Impatience.
And uninformed consumers.
Old 09-16-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
Part III was rushed through post-production to meet a Christmas release date and Oscar eligibility. Coppola wasn't quite finished with his final cut at that time. He continued to work on it as it played in theaters. All home video versions including VHS contain the completed Director's Cut.
Old 09-16-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

With the Amazon price of $61.95, before the $5 off using the Bill Me Later coupon and the $10 upgrade rebate ... for a total of $46.95, this was a no brainer for me.
Old 09-16-08, 04:00 PM

^ One caution for those expecting rebates. The fine print on the form says the store receipt must eminate from the same state that you live in. If they follow that to the letter, that would disqualify on-line purchases. I'm anxious to see if they honor my rebate on Transformers I bought from Columbia House...
Old 09-17-08, 09:54 AM

Tower.com has The Godfather Trilogy BD for $59.86 shipped, and according to someone at hometheaterforum.com, their shipping is faster than amazon's standard shipping. It shows it as already in stock and Ships within 12 hours. I've canceled my amazon order and gone with Tower.
Old 09-17-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks AdmiralZ. I did the same.
Old 09-17-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVDBeaver on Part III.
Old 09-17-08, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If any of you here get a headache reading DVDBeaver, I suggest you get a firefox addon called Accessibar. It allows you to change the background color and text color which is really needed for these kinds of sites.
Old 09-18-08, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Why would you even want it? The theatrical cut was rushed to meet its Christmas release and was essentially an incomplete version as it played in theaters.

This wasn't a case of a director changing his mind after-the-fact and attempting to revise history. Coppola could not get his final cut of the movie ready in time. The home video version is the final cut.
Is this the reason for the film's bad reputation?

I never saw Godfather III in the theater. Even though the film was reviled at the time, it didn't seem nearly as awful as it was made out to be when I finally saw it. Sure, it's a definite step down from the first two, but it was still a solid film.
Old 09-18-08, 02:58 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The reason it's so reviled is because of Sofia Coppola, and rightly so. Every scene she's in is pretty much unwatchable. The rest isn't so bad, but isn't nearly up to the level of the first two. If this was called "Old Man Pacino" it probably would have been better received, but it suffered from the weight of the expectations set by the first two films.
Old 09-18-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NoirFan
DVDBeaver on Part III.

I think those screenshots confirm what I suspected - the previous version of Part III on DVD didn't maintain the darker color pallet of Parts I & II...they seem to have corrected this for the new version.
Old 09-18-08, 12:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I think those screenshots confirm what I suspected - the previous version of Part III on DVD didn't maintain the darker color pallet of Parts I & II...they seem to have corrected this for the new version.

The American Cinematographer article talked about this issue and how it was color corrected to match the other two films. I didn't doubt this for a minute.
Old 09-19-08, 12:11 AM

I kinda wish that this trilogy got the "Patton" treatment.

I love seeing old classics looking like they were filmed yesterday.
Old 09-19-08, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wd65733

I hope you're kidding.
Old 09-19-08, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wd65733

Just spread vaseline on your TV screen and Bob's your uncle.
Old 09-19-08, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
If any of you here get a headache reading DVDBeaver, I suggest you get a firefox addon called Accessibar. It allows you to change the background color and text color which is really needed for these kinds of sites.
Finally, someone else mentions this. The white on black background is terrible.
Old 09-19-08, 10:27 AM
FuQ

I ordered mine from Tower and it was shipped a few days ago. I got it for $61 shipped. They shipped it a couple of hours after I ordered. I was shocked.
Old 09-19-08, 10:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good comparison pics thread from the one and only Xylon over at the AVS forum.

These are better than DVD Beavers comparison shots IMO.

The new transfers look phenomenal.

Last edited by Kenshiro; 09-19-08 at 10:50 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.