Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blue Underground and Synapse Films to release on Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blue Underground and Synapse Films to release on Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-08, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
argento films, perhaps ghibli and some miike, are the only things i'll repurchase. i'm tempted to say i won't even do that, but i suspect the suspiria remake might be enough to persuade me that my favourite stuff will be something spectaluar on BR...
Old 05-30-08, 11:14 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll get Maniac and the Argento films from that batch.
Old 05-30-08, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I've been putting off seeing The Final Countdown forever. Finally going to see it now on BD.
I just saw this again last night. Hadn't seen it in ages. I remember seeing this on HBO in the 80's.
Old 05-30-08, 01:07 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
This thread was mentioned on EngadgetHD.com. Sweet
Old 05-30-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy shit.

Just that promotional video got me excited. Looks like they'll include all the extras from the SD editions as well.

And let's be honest, they can't be as bad as the Anchor Bay BDs right?
Old 05-30-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Awesome!

Glad I held off on picking up "Bird With The Crystal Plumage".
Old 05-31-08, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by asianxcore
Awesome!

Glad I held off on picking up "Bird With The Crystal Plumage".

Me too, it's a really easy purchase when it's not an upgrade but rather a first buy (well, I did buy the VHS of this film years ago....)
Old 06-01-08, 04:42 PM

I'm fairly certain that if you put Uncle Sam in a Blu-ray player that you'll go back in time.

In all seriousness, I love Dead and Buried, but that's one of the grainiest films that I've ever seen. I wonder how it will look on Blu.
Old 06-01-08, 05:41 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mike Long
I'm fairly certain that if you put Uncle Sam in a Blu-ray player that you'll go back in time.

In all seriousness, I love Dead and Buried, but that's one of the grainiest films that I've ever seen. I wonder how it will look on Blu.
As long as they don't go the Anchor Bay way it should be fine. I don't think any of these will look as good as recent releases, but if they can clean them up enough and keep the colors accurate (Halloween on BD looked great but the colors were off), I'll be more then happy to pick up each of these titles.

I hope we get dates AND prices on these soon. I doubt these will be priced as low as Echo Bridge titles (Beer League, 10.5), but hopefully a $19.99 MSRP with them $14.95 on Amazon.
Old 06-01-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mike Long
There is a lot of noise in some of the darker scenes where the cinematographer pushed the film stock a bit too far. However, in general, the DVD transfer is very film-like. Let's hope the Blu-ray will be even more so.
Old 06-01-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I rented the Final Countdown and liked it (I'm a sucker for time travel and alternate history stories). Might invest in that one if it turns out well.
Old 06-01-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i hope they retain the extras that were found on the DVD releases...
Old 06-02-08, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
The Final Countdown's SD master had some serious issues. I will be very careful on this one, after getting burned on M&C.
Old 06-02-08, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Traxan
The Final Countdown's SD master had some serious issues. I will be very careful on this one, after getting burned on M&C.
I noticed the other night that in several scenes the edges were blurry, especially at the bottom. It wasn't bad enough to ruin the experience but it was enough to notice it.
Old 07-01-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
From AV Maniacs:

Well, we have been quietly working on a few BLU titles already... we just didn't blast the public with the info using press releases for titles that have no release dates yet, because, well, we don't know when they'll be ready at this time.

I actually DO have a nice Blu-Ray of our MANIAC COP at home right now, sans menus, though... a beauty of a VC-1 encode with uncompressed PCM 5.1! You'll all get to experience it probably close to the beginning of 2009.

We're working on MANIAC COP, plus THE IMAGE (with a SMOKIN' brand-new HD transfer... we were even able to get rid of the green scratch during the cafe scene) as our first two BD titles.

More to come, obviously, if we actually succeed in making some money with those two. Probably STREET TRASH is the next candidate.
All our HD transfers are on either D5 tapes or HDCAM SR, so I can't really watch them at home. I can watch MANIAC COP because its our BD encode given to me on a BD-R disc. Nothing really beats seeing the 35mm film up on a telecine unit, though, which I am lucky enough to experience on a regular basis.
We have a couple HD transfers for things that NO ONE knows we are putting out yet... and, with those, we are looking into the possibility of releasing both DVD and BD on the same release date.

We'll see...

MANIAC COP wasn't really our first choice for BD, but the studio doing the project for us wanted something with a handful of extras and audio options just so they could put it together with their software/encoders, etc. and MANIAC COP fit the criteria. They wanted do do a "demo" with it for potential clients showing a few extra options available and using multiple sources. LEMORA "is" a good candidate but, every time I bring it up for BD, I see the huge grimace on my business partner's face... the title is beautiful and one of our favorites but... IT TANKED. Zero. Ziltch. Nada. Sales blew.
That's not always a decision we can make. It's all up to the licensor and what our contracts state for any particular film. If we are allowed, our BDs will be region free when we can do it.
Old 07-01-08, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Street Trash!!
Old 11-12-08, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dead and Buried (1/27/09) Amazon pre-order for $25.95

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (2/24/09) Amazon pre-order also $25.95
Old 12-05-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From The Digital Bits:
And Blue Underground has just announced the Blu-ray Disc release of Two Evil Eyes on 3/31/09. Extras will include 4 featurettes (Two Masters' Eyes, Savini's EFX, At Home with Tom Savini and Adrienne Barbeau on George Romero) and the theatrical trailer. Two Masters' Eyes will include interviews with directors Dario Argento and George Romero, special make-up effects supervisor Tom Savini, executive producer Claudio Argento and Asia Argento.
Blue Underground is ABOUT to announce Fast Company for Blu-ray release on 4/28/09. Extras there will include audio commentary with co-writer/director David Cronenberg, 2 featurettes (Inside the Character Actor's Studio and Shooting Cronenberg), two early Cronenberg films (Stereo and Crimes of the Future), the theatrical trailer and D-Box control.
We're not done with Blue-U yet... our friends at the studio have additionally let us know that Circle of Iron is coming to Blu-ray on 5/19 (the date is tentative). Bad Boy Bubby and Living Dead at Manchester Morgue are also on tap for Blu-ray later in 2009. We're also told that the following titles are among those being planned, but they require a lot of HD restoration work, so look for them in either late 2009 or 2010: Fire and Ice, The Crazies, The Toolbox Murders, Daughters of Darkness, Vampyres, The Blood Spattered Bride, God Told Me To, The Prowler, The New York Ripper, Maniac and Vigilante.
Old 12-05-08, 06:44 PM
Suspended

The Crazies

Can't belive its taking them this long just to bring the 6 titles they announced out. 2 out of 6 and its been almost 6 months? Gees.
Old 12-16-08, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Fire and Ice.....

Not only the greatest cartoon ever but one of the best movies ever in my opinion. I will gladly pay the idiotic bluray prices to update my SD. I just hope they redo the audio, the 5.1 mix is missing a key scream in a scene that is present in the VHS release, dont know why they lost it or left it out.
Old 12-16-08, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Fire and Ice.....
Hmmmm. I just ordered the standard 2-disc version of this from CH. I think I'll stick with that. I have all those others except for "Living Dead at Manchester Morgue". I'll probably pick that up and rebuy "Bad Boy Bubby" when that come out.

I'll still working on buying all of the BU releases on SDVD.
Old 01-22-09, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Blue Underground on Blu-ray

DVD Beaver review of Dead and Buried
Old 01-22-09, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

I've written a review of Dead and Buried too (as well as BU's other two high-def releases, The Stendhal Syndrome and The Final Countdown).
Old 01-22-09, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I want to pick all of these titles up. I wonder if they will maintain the $20 price point for a long time or fall in line with the Anchor Bay titles after being on the market for a few months.
Old 01-23-09, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Lots of great titles on tap over at BU. Would love to have the original Toolbox Murders in Blu.

I'll have to pick up Dead and Buried next week. Held off for a while on the SD, so for a couple bucks more why not go BD? Still have to pick up Stendhal Syndrome as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.