Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official HD DVD Clearance Sale Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official HD DVD Clearance Sale Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-08, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I planned on selling off most of my HD DVDs, but if I see discs sub $10 I will be buying. I still have a small LD collection so why not HD DVDs as well.
Old 02-19-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
I planned on selling off most of my HD DVDs, but if I see discs sub $10 I will be buying. I still have a small LD collection so why not HD DVDs as well.
Agreed, sub $10 HD DVDs will get me buying again.

I had no intention of selling off, but I had slowed purchases - alot, especially WB, which I had been buying on HD DVD. Since I have over 90 I figure I am going to be dual format for good. Like you I still have a small LD collection I have yet to part with as well as DVD, VHS and Blu-Ray. I may ditch my VHS since I am down to about 1 use a year and a collection of less than 10.

Last edited by speedyray; 02-19-08 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-19-08, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This was posted over in the bargains forum:

Hello all:

I was just IMing with Geoffrey and he told me I should post this offer in this forum.

HDScape is a label that releases scenic content on both HD DVD and Blu-ray. From underwater footage, aquarium and fireplace, beautiful natural scenery, all in full-motion high definition video.

Our parent company, DVD International, has a long history of supporting a wide range of platforms, from laser disc, to NUON, to D-VHS, DVD, HD DVD and Blu-ray. We actually continued to sell NUON discs and controllers until very recently!

Anyway, we anticipate that there will continue to be a small, but dedicated following for HD DVD. And if you bought an HD DVD player, you might be the kind of person who wants to use it to look at fish in high definition.

If this post describes you, feel free to check out our blowout sale. Each HDScape HD DVD disc is only $6.95 and you can score all 7 of them for only $29.95.

Also, before I forget, the 2nd side of the disc is a standard DVD, which will play on any DVD player, including Blu-ray (and they look pretty good upconverted on my PS3).

www.hdscape.com

HD DVD is dead. Long live HD DVD!

Jason Rosenfeld
It is $10 shipping in case you are wondering on the 7 for 29.95 deal - no tax except for Jersey residents. Works out to a little under 5.72 a title shipped.
Old 02-19-08, 11:53 PM
Suspended

I've read that most retailers will not be doing fire sales on HD DVD discs, just the hardware. They do not want to devalue HD Movies on disc, so they are sending them back to the studios instead. Dont take this to the bank, but i wouldnt be surprised if you didnt see much as far as disc fire sales from the major companys out there selling discs.
Old 02-20-08, 12:02 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

$150 off Craigslist. Thanks Toshiba!
Old 02-20-08, 01:11 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There's a $60 used 360 add-on right now on Amazon that I'm seriously considering. $64 with shipping. Comes with cables, no King Kong and no remote. But I've got the mini remote that came with the launch system sitting around somewhere, so that's no big deal for me.

Just so I'm clear on this, only the XA2 and the A35 could bitstream True HD and DTS HD MA, right? Was there another player that could do this? Since I have an Onkyo 605 and at least one HD DVD with DTS HD MA (Pan's Labyrinth), I want to make sure I can get a player capable of sending that audio to my receiver.
Old 02-20-08, 02:38 AM

I would avoid a used 360 add-on for that price, especially without the $20+ in extras and the 5 free movie sendaway
Old 02-20-08, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
There's a $60 used 360 add-on right now on Amazon that I'm seriously considering. $64 with shipping. Comes with cables, no King Kong and no remote. But I've got the mini remote that came with the launch system sitting around somewhere, so that's no big deal for me.

Just so I'm clear on this, only the XA2 and the A35 could bitstream True HD and DTS HD MA, right? Was there another player that could do this? Since I have an Onkyo 605 and at least one HD DVD with DTS HD MA (Pan's Labyrinth), I want to make sure I can get a player capable of sending that audio to my receiver.
You are correct, only the XA2 and A35 can bitstream. That's the only way you'll get DTS HD MA.
Old 02-20-08, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Add another one waiting for a bargain priced A35. Dolby THD and DTS HD MA, that's what I'm waiting for. Or at lease analogue outs.
Old 02-20-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by QuePaso
I've read that most retailers will not be doing fire sales on HD DVD discs, just the hardware. They do not want to devalue HD Movies on disc, so they are sending them back to the studios instead. Dont take this to the bank, but i wouldnt be surprised if you didnt see much as far as disc fire sales from the major companys out there selling discs.
As far as brick-and-mortar goes, I also think this will be the case. Borders stores, for example, have been instructed to return all HD-DVDs to their warehouses and will only be carrying very limited quantites of the remaining new releases. Stores aren't going to take huge losses on this inventory when they can simply return them to the distributors for full credit.

Online vendors will probably continue with some moderate sales, but I honestly think people are going to be disappointed if they're expecting, say, Amazon to have some $5 clearance sale. The movies aren't going to go a whole lot cheaper than they currently are.
Old 02-20-08, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
As far as brick-and-mortar goes, I also think this will be the case. Borders stores, for example, have been instructed to return all HD-DVDs to their warehouses and will only be carrying very limited quantites of the remaining new releases. Stores aren't going to take huge losses on this inventory when they can simply return them to the distributors for full credit.

Online vendors will probably continue with some moderate sales, but I honestly think people are going to be disappointed if they're expecting, say, Amazon to have some $5 clearance sale. The movies aren't going to go a whole lot cheaper than they currently are.
This is what I've read on some other forums as well. Or maybe it was this forum. I can't keep track anymore. Needless to say it does not look like we'll be getting those bargain-basement-priced HD-DVDs. Sucks.
Old 02-20-08, 10:09 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus

When does the Border thing take effect?
I have a few I want to return.
Old 02-20-08, 10:11 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Suprmallet

...and the Onkyo HD DVD player, as its a clone of the XA2 (with a crappy remote and does not look nearly as good).
Old 02-20-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, what will the studios do with these movies that are being shipped back to warehouses? Burn them? Dig a big hole for all of them, like ET for Atari
Old 02-20-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
So, what will the studios do with these movies that are being shipped back to warehouses? Burn them? Dig a big hole for all of them, like ET for Atari
Maybe they'll show up at Big Lots in a couple months.
Old 02-20-08, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hilarious. I almost posted that also! Think that was in New Mexico.

And I agree with the Big Lots comment.

Last edited by MBoyd; 02-20-08 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-20-08, 10:19 AM

They show up on sites like MJEntertainment. I've purchased HD DVDs and BDs from them that had price tags from Best Buy and Circuit City. They're like a surplus type of store.
Old 02-20-08, 10:21 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

forget HD...

I hope the movies get liquidated. Why not throw us one last bone, right?
Old 02-20-08, 10:22 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Hilarious. I almost posted that also! :lo: Think that was in New Mexico.

And I agree with the Big Lots comment.
These would never go to Big Lots. They would get to many returns from people not knowing what HD DVD is thinking it will work in their DVD player.

Best case scenario is they re-package and bundle existing HD DVD players with 5-10 random movies just to get rid of them. Or an online store (Amazon) would buy them really cheap and be the sole seller of them.

Of course Best Buy etc. will still stock them for months, maybe years to come. As long as they sell, they will stock them. As long as dual players are around, people may buy them.
Old 02-20-08, 11:01 AM

www.deepdiscount.com has quite a few HD DVD titles on sale. Here are a few:

Top Sellers
1. Shaun of the Dead [HD DVD]
$12.20
2. Apollo 13 [HD DVD]
$12.20
3. 12 Monkeys [HD DVD]
$12.20
4. The 40-Year-Old Virgin [HD DVD]
$12.20
5. The Fast and the Furious [HD DVD]
$12.20
6. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind [HD DVD]
$12.20
7. Inside Man [HD DVD]
$12.20
8. Tremors [HD DVD]
$12.20
9. Lost in Translation [HD DVD]
$12.20
10. The Last Starfighter [HD DVD]
$12.20
11. Elizabeth [HD DVD]
$12.20
12. Pitch Black [HD DVD]
$12.20
13. Army of Darkness [HD DVD]
$12.20
14. Carlito's Way [HD DVD]
$12.20
15. U-571 [HD DVD]
$12.20
Old 02-20-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by pianojohn
www.deepdiscount.com has quite a few HD DVD titles on sale. Here are a few:

Top Sellers
1. Shaun of the Dead [HD DVD]
$12.20
2. Apollo 13 [HD DVD]
$12.20
3. 12 Monkeys [HD DVD]
$12.20
4. The 40-Year-Old Virgin [HD DVD]
$12.20
5. The Fast and the Furious [HD DVD]
$12.20
6. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind [HD DVD]
$12.20
7. Inside Man [HD DVD]
$12.20
8. Tremors [HD DVD]
$12.20
9. Lost in Translation [HD DVD]
$12.20
10. The Last Starfighter [HD DVD]
$12.20
11. Elizabeth [HD DVD]
$12.20
12. Pitch Black [HD DVD]
$12.20
13. Army of Darkness [HD DVD]
$12.20
14. Carlito's Way [HD DVD]
$12.20
15. U-571 [HD DVD]
$12.20
For those in the Chicago area, the DeepDiscount store is selling all these at 14.99. Not a blazing hot deal, but considering they tend to sell the catalog titles at 23.xx, it could be worse.
Old 02-20-08, 11:28 AM

i ordered about 6 titles from DDD last week at the $12 price....still hasnt shipped
Old 02-20-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I bought an A3 from Amazon on 12/27 for $17x and change with the 10 free promotion. I've already gotten a refund for about $45-50 based on the decline late January but I just sent an email and got a primematch down to the $109.99 price. Here is the text that I used and I went through the Express portion of their contact us on the website. It gives you a chance to click on the item from the order that is in question.

"I purchased this item at a higher price than it is currently. Could you please price match to the $109.99 price that is currently on the Amazon.com website."
Old 02-20-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rumour in Canada is that Futureshop will be clearing out HDs end of Feb. Will post if this becomes true.
Old 02-20-08, 12:14 PM

Except ET was mass produced in gigantic numbers, more than any game of its era. Something tells me none of the studios involved with HD-DVD nor Blu Ray pressed nearly as many copies of its releases in contrast, since sales of the two -- combined -- have been irrelevant compared to regular DVD.

I would doubt you'd be seeing anything but very fast sales of the discs to clear out the copies remaining and that's it.

Last edited by HockeyMan2000; 02-20-08 at 12:17 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.