Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Samsung "Auto Motion Plus".... [Off topic]

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 12-01-07, 03:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be off topic but I didn't know where else to post it.. I just came back from my local bestbuy...

I might be behind the times.... There may be other sets that offer it, but today was my first time seeing it. "Auto Motion Plus" by Samsung if you don't know what it is GO SEE IT. I "think" theres only one set that offers it (Samsung 1080P "71 Series"). It looks crazy. If you know what it is post here because I think that it will be the "next" thing.

I couldnt believe what I was seeing. The motion of the picture was so smooth and clear it almost looked awkward... It made the film look like you were watching RAW footage of a movie before the special effects but of course the special effects were intact so it kind of looked 3D at times... IT LOOKED REAL... I can't describe it without sounding crazy which I'm sure I've already accomplished... Whats your thoughts if you seen it.... ??????????

If only I had $3000 to burn...

Last edited by GeorgiaBlakk; 12-01-07 at 04:09 AM.
Old 12-01-07, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts
I think it's horrible, personally. It makes film-based movies look like they were shot on video.

In case anyone's wondering what we're talking about, Auto Motion Plus is a function of the TV set that increases the frame rate to 120hz. But it's not just simple frame-rate conversion, which usually involves simple multiplication of frames. Auto Motion Plus interpolates new frames in between existing frames. The idea is to eliminate judder, but it makes everything look overly smooth and video-ish.

I hate it. I can't imagine that anyone who cares at all about the art of filmmaking would like something that changes the intended look of a film.
Old 12-01-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't like it for movies because it doesn't look like film. However, I may want to use it for video games, especially since many games this generation aren't running at 60 frames per second. With AMP, perhaps I could force them to run smoother.

WinDVD has a similar function called TrimensionDNM.
Old 12-01-07, 01:39 PM
Banned

It's lame as fuck.
Old 12-01-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How can anyone actually enjoy a movie watching it at 120hz? It's attracts a lot of attention at the local Frys but I think it's more like a novelty feature and not something you can enjoy on a daily basis. Turns a beautiful film into an ugly mess.
Old 12-01-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that it would be poor for movie watching but it seems like it would be ideal for gaming and sports.
Old 12-01-07, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I think it's horrible, personally. It makes film-based movies look like they were shot on video.

In case anyone's wondering what we're talking about, Auto Motion Plus is a function of the TV set that increases the frame rate to 120hz. But it's not just simple frame-rate conversion, which usually involves simple multiplication of frames. Auto Motion Plus interpolates new frames in between existing frames. The idea is to eliminate judder, but it makes everything look overly smooth and video-ish.

I hate it. I can't imagine that anyone who cares at all about the art of filmmaking would like something that changes the intended look of a film.
EXACTLY!.... It makes a full length feature films look like they were shot on home video or something. I didn't know how to say it but there you go. You can't deny though that its really, really CLEAR and almost looks awkward.
Old 12-01-07, 09:30 PM
Cool New Member

It is amazing to look at...for a bit. But I find it takes you out of the film experience. And not to mention that a lot of effects shots look might fake on these sets. I saw the demo set with Spiderman playing and they showed the scene were MJ is on the balcony that begins breaking apart. Looked like I was watching the making of, not the movie.
Old 12-01-07, 11:52 PM

I'm hoping for a firmware update to come out that let's the user choose to turn it completely off. That way film can be viewed in a multiple of 24f/s and sports/gaming will be about as good as a LCD can get.
Old 12-02-07, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've got a Sony KDS60A3000 that does have 120hz and 1080p/24. I've been unbelievably impressed with the set and I don't think that it takes you out of the film experience at all. As long as you use a good video calibrator (I used DVE HD-DVD and may have it professionally calibrated) and don't jack up the brightness settings or use vivid, you can retain the "film" experience and I think it far surpasses my old SXRD 1080p set.

There are a couple things that can make it look like a home video that I have seen through my experiments. The vivid setting is just an eyesore, whether you're watching HD-DVDs, sports, gaming, whatever. The fluid motion at high brightness levels just throws the entire perspective out of whack. The black levels aren't dark enough and the foreground and background mesh together into a really unattractive mess that completely loses perspective of the scene. Every 120hz 1080p/24 TV that I've seen displayed in store looks to be on that setting. The vivid setting also uses the "cool" tone setting, further washing out the blacks and dark reds that makes the entire picture look like it's having a floodlight shining on the set about 1 nanometer above the framing. This is easily fixable by customizing the settings and turning the brightness and contrast down and turning the tones setting to your red level preference (I think mine was red 1). Once this is done, the resulting image (to my eyes) is the closest thing to film reproduction I have ever seen. There still is some image shudder on fast moving images that just simply cannot (and should not) be eliminated. I hate the "auto motion plus" that I've seen displayed for exactly that reason.

Another issue is sitting too close to the screen. I've got a 60" screen and I sit about 8.5/9 feet away. I used to have my chair a bit closer, but a lot of the motion issues and colors were extremely disconcerting. As soon as I moved back to the proper area through some trial and error, everything cleared up.

I'm not saying it's not an adjustment, but to me, it's like the difference between going from normal film to IMAX. It's just a much sharper, cleaner, and more fluid image that absolutely does not take me out of the film experience. I just thought I'd throw some thoughts in here from someone that does have a 120hz 1080p TV that could not be happier with the results.

Final disclaimer: I'm not a tech superstar here. I'm sure the image could look a bit better and I don't know the 100% intricacies of the image reproduction on these TVs. I'm just trying to give a real world assessment for someone who may be interested in "upgrading" their set and what can be accomplished through some slightly above-average techno tweaking without being a pro.

Edit: I also should mention that the only connections I have running at 1080p/24 are the HD-A35 and DMP-BD30. All of my other connections (360, cable box through component, upconverting dvd) don't suffer at all from the settings and are highly comparable to my SXRD 1080p setting.

Last edited by bravesmg; 12-02-07 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-02-07, 10:47 AM

When I first saw it I was like WOW! this looks so real! Then I started looking at it for a while and it just looked awkward. Like the frames were moving way too fast or something. Also, it looks a lot smoother, but in my opinion not as sharp. It's definately a waste of money.
Old 12-02-07, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
On film-based material, the 120Hz mode is distracting to watch.

Pretty soon, we'll need to come up a term to signify watching in Directorial Intent (OAR and 24fps) for films.