Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

New Line's first HD Title is "Hairspray"

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-07, 11:05 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

New Line
Hairspray. Both formats.

ugh.
Old 07-16-07, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Old 07-16-07, 11:09 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What the fuck? Come on, New Line.

Unless this is the original John Waters' Hairspray, in which case, I say bring it on.
Old 07-16-07, 11:14 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Phew! Atleast its not a crappy movie like Final Destination or Lord of the Rings.
Old 07-17-07, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throw me a frickin bone here... why couldn't it have been Austin Powers.
Old 07-17-07, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope they're just testing the new ground here.
Old 07-17-07, 04:59 AM
Suspended

Baby steps.. Im happy they announced anything at all.
Old 07-17-07, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 07-17-07, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey, I'm glad they're not using TotalHD. Maybe that really will go away.

Does it really matter what the first title is? We had heard they would be starting with new releases, and this is just that. Hopefully they'll have some good catalog titles to go along with it.
Old 07-17-07, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
Hey, I'm glad they're not using TotalHD. Maybe that really will go away.

Does it really matter what the first title is? We had heard they would be starting with new releases, and this is just that. Hopefully they'll have some good catalog titles to go along with it.
I agree. They're obviously starting with new releases since those actually sell on High Def formats as opposed to catalog titles, which barely sell at all. Start with something that will actually, you know, sell a copy seems smart. I'm guessing Hairspray is scheduled to be released earlier than Rush Hour 3.

And then from there, who knows what might come out...
Old 07-17-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For the lazy:

I'm at the Home Media Expo this week in Las Vegas, which officially kicks off tomorrow, but got a sluggish start today.

There's surprisingly little on the official agenda this year from Blu-ray and HD DVD backers, strange since they both have so much riding on this fourth quarter, which will really be the first that players are widely available at retail. There are no panels for retailers on either format. No presence on the show floor by backers of either format, no big presentations to sell retailers on their respective format.

Sure the HD DVD Promotional Group is offering Toshiba's bottom line HD DVD player for $99 to attendees, which is totally tempting. New Line told indie retailers today that Hairspray would be their first high def release on Blu-ray and HD DVD. But that's about it. No competing press conference between the two camps like last year, no Blu-ray lounge from Sony as there was last year.

That's not to say that backers are skipping the show altogether, just the retailer part, it seems.
Instead they are courting the 75 or so early adopters from the Home Theater Forum and The Digital Bits that were invited to attend this year's show and talk about their habits with studios and retailers. Blu-ray backers Disney, Sony, Fox and Lionsgate are throwing them a party Tuesday night. The HD DVD Promotional Group will give a demo for them, they'll get sit-down meetings with Warner and Universal (where they'll surely be asked if and when they'll start releasing on Blu-ray.)

Not to say that these guys aren't important, but, umm, how are the studios going to reach these types of consumers without the retailers behind them? Backers of both formats keep saying that they want to better educate retailers about high def, so why not here? I keep hearing that there are fewer retailers attending this year compared with last year, but there are retailers here and given the state of the format war, why isn't either side trying to win them over?
Kiosk makers and digital download services certainly seem to be reaching out to them at the show. They'll take part in panels focused on digital distribution, the new part of the business that's expected to grow much slower than high def disc and be a much smaller part of the market for the next five years. Lionsgate estimates that consumers have so far spent $40 million on digital movie downloads, which is like less than the consumer spend on one small box office DVD release. And most retailers I asked about digital yesterday seem unconcerned with it right now.

Instead I've heard talk from small and midsize retailers about Blu-ray and HD DVD and whether more retailers are starting to lean in Blu-ray's favor. Too bad there's no big push from either format to the show them why they should or shouldn't pick a side already.
Old 07-17-07, 11:06 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bill, Hope you don't mind if I ask if you're a retailer or work in the industry in some other capacity? Just wondering about your connection to the show as it helps give your comments perspective.
Old 07-17-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I don't care about Hairspray, I am thrilled that New Line will finally be taking a step into releasing titles in HD. Now if only Dreamworks Animation and Criterion would finally jump in....
Old 07-17-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jim
Bill, Hope you don't mind if I ask if you're a retailer or work in the industry in some other capacity? Just wondering about your connection to the show as it helps give your comments perspective.
I think he just copied and pasted the article....
Old 07-17-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
WTF. This better mean Dark City is not far behind.
Old 07-17-07, 12:43 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by starseed1981
WTF. This better mean Dark City is not far behind.
given the standard disc is a benchmark demo disc for handling/conveying very dark scenes, I would assume the HiDef will supercede it.
Old 07-17-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The anticipation in underwhelming.
Old 07-17-07, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
I think he just copied and pasted the article....
exactly.
Old 07-17-07, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Well, I was temporarily very excited because I thought we were talking about the John Waters film. Now, not nearly so excited, but at least New Line is finally getting into the game.
Old 07-17-07, 04:10 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
The unfortunate part of this announcement is that their first title hasn't even been released to theaters yet, therefore will be at least 4 months before hitting the HD formats, kind of becoming a bottleneck to the future releases.

I was surprised to see that this movie has a 100% Rottentomato score so far with 19 reviews. I could have sworn that it was 91% just yesterday though. It will be interesting to see how the score holds up once the major reviews hit on Friday.
Old 07-17-07, 04:20 PM

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hairspray/

It's at 100% on RT.com.
Who knows...? Maybe it is actually good. Gonna be full of color. Will probably look great in HD....

It's one of the best Broadway-tuner adaptations in recent years -- yes, arguably even better than those Oscar-winning ones. Unpretentious, feel-good pic is low on histrionic diva wailing and MTV-style editing, high on retro movie-musical craftsmanship.

Dennis Harvey
Variety
Old 07-17-07, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would not watch Hairspray if you gave me the HD DVD or Blu-ray disc for free. Nevertheless, at least this is a start for New Line.
Old 07-17-07, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Davy Mack
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hairspray/

It's at 100% on RT.com.
Who knows...? Maybe it is actually good. Gonna be full of color. Will probably look great in HD....

It's one of the best Broadway-tuner adaptations in recent years -- yes, arguably even better than those Oscar-winning ones. Unpretentious, feel-good pic is low on histrionic diva wailing and MTV-style editing, high on retro movie-musical craftsmanship.

Dennis Harvey
Variety
I'm not sure if I want to see it in theaters, but I will definitely rent it.
Old 07-20-07, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Just got back from the theater and I can now say that I'm definitely looking forward to owning this title on HD-DVD
Old 07-21-07, 01:33 AM

It got rave reviews pretty much across the board.
If it's a hit, should do well on HD...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.