Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

[CORRECTED] PS3 Saturday Walmart deal: $499 for the 80GB model + 15 FREE MOVIES

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

[CORRECTED] PS3 Saturday Walmart deal: $499 for the 80GB model + 15 FREE MOVIES

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-07, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edstein
Why is everyone surprised there were no lines for this deal? It wasn't advertised in print. These web only deals are the dumbest idea ever.
I disagree - I think it was perfect.
Old 11-24-07, 05:03 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Why is everyone surprised there were no lines for this deal? It wasn't advertised in print. These web only deals are the dumbest idea ever. Especially for a $500 product. This should have been right on the front page of the Thursday ad. Plus, the average Wal-Mart shopper is not going to spend $500 on a single item for Christmas or anytime, IMO. If Sony really wanted to push this deal they should have made it available at BB and CC as well.
Because the "online advertised" A2 deals sold out within minutes at most stores and they had anywhere from 15-50 units available. The price difference is an obvious reason why, but the $500 with 10 movies instantly is a pretty good deal as well.
Old 11-24-07, 05:21 PM

I'm starting to feel a little sick to my stomach now since I finally bought a PS3 yesterday at BB.
Old 11-24-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kms_md
i went by another WM - this one had the 14.96 movies in a cardboard sleeve by the register (much in the same way they displayed the 14.96 HD DVD movies a couple of weeks back). none of the sale movies were in the racks with the other BR / HD movies.
I returned 5 of the 10 movies to different Wal-marts that had the movies I wanted. They had no problem doing this. I will do this again after 12/4 for I can get the new POTC and a few others.
Old 11-24-07, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You have to love the human stains from FW who are trying to figure out how to return and rebuy as many PS3s as possible without returning the discs ....
Old 11-24-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Because the "online advertised" A2 deals sold out within minutes at most stores and they had anywhere from 15-50 units available. The price difference is an obvious reason why, but the $500 with 10 movies instantly is a pretty good deal as well.
It's clearly a great deal but, if you want it to sell it needs to be advertised better.
Old 11-24-07, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Attempt #3:

Is this deal eligible for the Wireless controller/$50 rebate?
Old 11-24-07, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
If no one's replying, it probably means no one knows. I searched Google for "wireless rebate PS3" and didn't turn up much of anything.
Old 11-24-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Sorry if I was a bit of a nuisance, just trying to get a definitive answer before committing to this deal. Apparently the rebate was a Hastings exclusive.
Old 11-24-07, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Thorintos
I'm starting to feel a little sick to my stomach now since I finally bought a PS3 yesterday at BB.
I bought one a week ago at BB (although it was still in the box since it's a present). I took it back immediately after I made the purchase at WalMart.

Heck, you could buy one at WalMart, and then take that box back to WalMart - I guess I didn't compare the two, but I believe the box and UPC would be identical.
Old 11-24-07, 06:49 PM

It's clearly a great deal but, if you want it to sell it needs to be advertised better.
If there were only 2-10 per store, maybe they didn't want to advertise "too" much? I got an email from WalMart for signing up for 'secret in-store specials' notices after the A2 deal.

Obviously there was a reason they didn't mass advertise it... (but I'm thankful they didn't )
Old 11-24-07, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shelland
I bought one a week ago at BB (although it was still in the box since it's a present). I took it back immediately after I made the purchase at WalMart.

Heck, you could buy one at WalMart, and then take that box back to WalMart - I guess I didn't compare the two, but I believe the box and UPC would be identical.
they may scan the serial number at purchase.
Old 11-24-07, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like I overestimated the difficulty in landing this deal, congrats to all who got it! I'm very surprised to see the Pixars & Die Hards included so soon after release date, that's outstanding! Rescue Dawn too, you can't even get that title at Amazon right now.
Old 11-24-07, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by kms_md
they may scan the serial number at purchase.
Yeah, the Serial # is printed on the BB receipt.
Old 11-24-07, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Thorintos
Yeah, the Serial # is printed on the BB receipt.
Good thing I took the original boxed PS3 back to BB instead of the one I bought at WalMart then.
Old 11-24-07, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
The difference between is a huge, but that $99 HD DVD player was advertised on TV for at least a day or two before the sale...even WalMarts own website, doesn't clearly state that you get the 10 movies too (and add to it that most people dont assume PS3 with next gen HD player yet)
Old 11-24-07, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by clemente
The difference between is a huge, but that $99 HD DVD player was advertised on TV for at least a day or two before the sale...even WalMarts own website, doesn't clearly state that you get the 10 movies too (and add to it that most people dont assume PS3 with next gen HD player yet)
Plus the A2 is discontinued, while the 80-gig PS3 is current & top-of-the-line. Not exactly apples-to-apples... JMO, but I don't think Sony was too interested in moving 30K PS3's at that bottom-line price.
Old 11-25-07, 01:03 AM

I lined up at the Clovis Wal-Mart at about 6:30am. No one else showed up for another fifteen minutes, and they weren't interested in the PS3 deal. Once in, I got a cart & went over to electronics. When I asked the employees how they were going to handle it, they were a bit hesitant, but wrote my name down as first in line. Then it was off to pick the discs. They had a horrible selection on the floor, so I asked if there were any more in the back. The employee was nice enough to check their overflow bin behind the register. Jackpot!

I shopped around for about an hour, then headed back to electronics. Turns out no one else arrived for the deal, but I did find out they only received two PS3's for the sale. Here's what I picked up:

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Cars
Ratatouille
Santa Clause 3
Spider-Man 3
Shooter
Meet The Robinsons
Surf's Up
X-Men 3: The Last Stand
Night At The Museum

Old 11-25-07, 11:08 AM

Ahh you got shooter lucky! Ya if this deal was put in an ad on the front page and not online...I'm sure not many of us would be posting up our dvd's. It was a good deal and i love the fact that I held off on the ps3 until a nice deal came around.

I wish I was smart like thekobra and brought the crappy titles to a different walmart and exchanged them for a different one etc.
Old 11-25-07, 11:26 AM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts
Is this deal still valid today?
Old 11-25-07, 11:33 AM

It was just for a short time yesterday. I doubt they'll be able to match it if you bring it up but worth a shot. That is if they have any systems left.
Old 11-25-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The store I went to had 10 units. I was 2nd after getting there at 4:15am (woke up early
and stumbled across this thread around 2am. Thanks OP for the bolding to the header, I
wouldn't have noticed it otherwise. A quick shower later and I was out the door and on
my way

8 or 9 of the consoles went at 8am.

Discs I ended up with were;
X-men 3
Spiderman 3
Oceans 13
Mr Brooks
Meet The Robinsons
Ratatouille
Pirates 2
Night At The Museum
Die Hard 4 (may exchange this as it's the PG-13 cut)
Fantastic 4 - Rise Of The Silver Surfer

YMMV, but during a call to the store this morning to inquire about getting a gift receipt
after the fact, the mgr stated that the deal was still in effect until the end of today.

They should have started the promotion on Friday as the disc selection at the stores
I went to (hit a few more on the way home to see if I could find better selections) was
poor/close to empty/nothing but a million copies of Hairspray at best.
Old 11-26-07, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by clemente
(and add to it that most people dont assume PS3 with next gen HD player yet)
This is one of Sony's biggest problems. If they had said "Four GAMES free instantly and two more GAMES free by mail" then it may have been more enticing for people looking for a PS3 to play games. They missed that chance.

If this had been a dedicated BD deck, then they may have done better with the selection of movies. There are still a lot of people who think a game system is a toy and not a center of a home theater. They missed this market with the sale.

It could also be that, as I have said for two years on this topic, price is key. People are more willing to take a chance at $100 than $500. This is one of the reasons why Wii is whipping PS3's ass.
Old 11-26-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
This is one of Sony's biggest problems. If they had said "Four GAMES free instantly and two more GAMES free by mail" then it may have been more enticing for people looking for a PS3 to play games. They missed that chance.

If this had been a dedicated BD deck, then they may have done better with the selection of movies. There are still a lot of people who think a game system is a toy and not a center of a home theater. They missed this market with the sale.
from the reports here, it sounds like they sold out of their stock pretty fast (at least of the ones that had marked for this sale)..
Old 11-26-07, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by redbill
from the reports here, it sounds like they sold out of their stock pretty fast (at least of the ones that had marked for this sale)..
I don't know about that. It seems like a mixed bag with sellouts in some places, and plenty of units left over in others.

Totally unscientific as it may be, my experience at four separate WalMarts over the weekend revealed that if you wanted this deal, you would have no problems getting it. There were PS3s left at each store, and there was signage at three of the four.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.