Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

New "Titanic" and "Braveheart" DVDs, but no HD? Huh?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-07, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paramount has annouced this week that they are releasing yet another special edition of "Titanic" on November 20th, and a new collector's edition of "Braveheart" on December 18th. No mention was made in either announcement that these films would also be released on HD-DVD, which is a shame, and I hope just an omission on the part of Paramount. Here we are coming up on the holiday season, and these two titles would most likely be viable candidates for the competition between the formats.

Of course, I'm wondering if there has to be some involvement on the part of the director(s) here (look how long it took before James Cameron actually decided that releasing "Titanic" in anamorphic widescreen was a good thing). But then again, Cameron's two "Terminator" films, and Gibson's "Apocalypto" are all available in the high-def format, so who knows?

I'm just at the point now where I see studios releasing catalog titles that wouldn't necessarily appeal to a wide spectrum of consumers, and it gets a little aggravating. Take Fox, for example, the studio that felt it would be better to release "The Hills Have Eyes 2" on Blu-Ray rather than its largely superior 2006 predecessor. At least Warner and Disney recognized the need for popular titles early in the format war, releasing the "Matrix" films and the "Pirates of the Caribbean" flicks in high-def. I can only hope that New Line jumps into the foray with a sizeable list of upcoming releases ("Lord of the Rings" trilogy, anyone?).
Old 09-21-07, 11:06 PM

I would buy both those titles on HD.I will wait for them to release on HD-DVD so i will be skipping these as i already have the older versions.
Old 09-22-07, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just sold off my copy of Braveheart in hopes of an HD release. I don't think it'll be much longer.
Old 09-22-07, 01:40 AM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
Skip 'em. I can't imagine many folks changing for what they already have on these, and those that like these most likely already have them (stop the re-re-re-re-re-packaging releases)

And FWIW, DVD is still where the most money is to be made.

Last edited by The Cow; 09-22-07 at 01:42 AM.
Old 09-22-07, 07:09 AM

Both would be a definite, immediate purchase!

But "The Cow" is right. There just is enough of a market penetration to warrant releasing such a high-profile title like 'Titanic'.
Old 09-22-07, 09:55 AM

Wasn't Titanic a co-production between Paramount and Fox? Could Fox's investment in Blu-Ray prevent an HD-DVD release by Paramount?
Old 09-22-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No Chinatown, either....
Old 09-22-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
This is hardly a new thing. Look at all the nice special editions Fox has released in the past year with no BD version: Romancing the Stone, Big, That Thing You Do, The Full Monty, Home Alone, The Princess Bride (coming in November and still no announcement about the cancelled BD version). I'm sure I'm missing some. Granted, those aren't exactly HD-friendly titles (not enough violence), but they could release a few of those.

Space_Monkey, I don't think Fox would stop them. There are co-productions that have been released on a format by an exclusive studio in one country and another format in another (Cinderella Man, The Producers). The thing that might hold it up is if Fox was involved in producing the extras, but the film itself should be fair game.
Old 09-22-07, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i keep thinking that with Paramounts big reveal that we would start seeing some heavier catalog titles in hd....at least of those re-release dvd titles.
Old 09-22-07, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by MrChaos
There just is enough of a market penetration to warrant releasing such a high-profile title like 'Titanic'.
I tend to disagree. If the studios want to start making a name for the high-def formats, why not release some of their more popular titles? Don't you think more people might take notice if movies like "Titanic," the "Alien" films, the "Indiana Jones" flicks, and the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy were available from the get-go? I know I would.
Old 09-22-07, 01:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Space_Monkey
Wasn't Titanic a co-production between Paramount and Fox? Could Fox's investment in Blu-Ray prevent an HD-DVD release by Paramount?
If I recall correctly, Paramount got distribution rights in North America and Fox got distribution rights internationally. If that still holds true, you'd see an HD DVD in America and a Blu-ray in Europe.
Old 09-22-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by hauntnut
I tend to disagree. If the studios want to start making a name for the high-def formats, why not release some of their more popular titles? Don't you think more people might take notice if movies like "Titanic," the "Alien" films, the "Indiana Jones" flicks, and the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy were available from the get-go? I know I would.
You tend to disagree or agree? Your statement does not seem to contradict the one you quoted.
Old 09-22-07, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Space_Monkey
I wouldn't think so, considering that Paramount released the DVDs, and aside from having their name in the opening credit sequence, Fox isn't really mentioned anywhere else.
Old 09-22-07, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
You tend to disagree or agree? Your statement does not seem to contradict the one you quoted.
Sorry about that... basically I meant that I feel like releasing high-profile titles in a new format's early stages makes consumers feel more inclined to take the plunge.
Old 09-22-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

but time has told them that New releases are what sells the most. Not sure what the top selling catalog title has been in HD thus far, but I doubt that Titles like, The Matrix, Rush Hour, or Austin Powers will make as big a bash as they did in the early days of dvd, since at that time they were new releases.

If your gonna spend the cash to promote something, might as well have a large audience. I'm hoping Indiana Jones gets a release simply because of the new movie coming up.
Old 09-23-07, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

dvdaf.com just listed braveheart on hd-dvd for 12.18.07
Old 09-23-07, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
Old 09-23-07, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!
Old 09-24-07, 12:30 AM

I watched a 720p version of Braveheart on Xbox Live Marketplace, it looked very nice. I will definitely pick up that HD release on 12/18
Old 09-24-07, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Holy mother. As if the period between October and January couldn't get any worse on the wallet. Awesome news.
Old 09-24-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I don't believe it...when Amazon or DVD Empire or some retailer has it up for sale for 12/18, then I'll believe it. DVD Aficionado is not the most reliable source.
Old 09-24-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll also wait for more confirmation before getting excited...but this is great news if true. A must own if there ever was one.
Old 09-24-07, 11:16 AM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by hauntnut
I wouldn't think so, considering that Paramount released the DVDs, and aside from having their name in the opening credit sequence, Fox isn't really mentioned anywhere else.
Titanic is a Fox movie. Paramount came in towards the end to provide money when the budget went high. Paramount does have distribution rights in North America, but Fox owns the movie.
Old 09-24-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Holy mother. As if the period between October and January couldn't get any worse on the wallet. Awesome news.
This and the Bourne boxset will be my first HD purchase since Heroes. Not so crowded for me, unless Fox comes though on a nice I, Robot edition.
Old 09-25-07, 03:24 AM

I think Amazon is dvdaf's source...