Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk

HD Talk The place to discuss HD DVD, Blu-ray and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 08-27-07, 12:59 PM   #1
kvrdave
DVD Talk God

Question on PQ quality with HD reviews.

Figure this is as good a place to put this as any. I understand that this is somewhat subjective, but am wondering what the PQ rating of SD disc would rank on an HD review. Naturally, those are all over the place as well. But let's take a top notch 5 star SD PQ review. How does that stack up on an HD review? 3 stars? 2 stars?

Basically, if I see an HD review with 3 stars, should I just get the SD version because they are comparable?
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baronís cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis
Old 08-27-07, 01:06 PM   #2
fryinpan1
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Figure this is as good a place to put this as any. I understand that this is somewhat subjective, but am wondering what the PQ rating of SD disc would rank on an HD review. Naturally, those are all over the place as well. But let's take a top notch 5 star SD PQ review. How does that stack up on an HD review? 3 stars? 2 stars?

Basically, if I see an HD review with 3 stars, should I just get the SD version because they are comparable?
Generally, I have found most 3/5 star HD reviews are average for HD, but still a noticeable upgrade from the DVD.

I think DVDfile.com reviews use a chart with some comparison.
Old 08-27-07, 01:08 PM   #3
darkside
DVD Talk Legend

From my experience a 3 star HD disc is still much better than a SD disc. It is only on the ones lower than that where you start to get in the realm of looking like an upconverted SD disc. To be honest though even some of the really bad transfers look better than the SD disc if you really get close to the screen and scrutinize.

For me whether the upgrade is worth it goes on a case by case basis. I usually rent the disc through netflix and decide. For instance many of the 70s and early 80s Universal discs like Smokey and the Bandit are clearly better than the SD versions, but the visual upgrade was not worth it to me to buy the movie again. I wasn't gaining enough in the experience to warrant the cost.

So far 3 1/2 stars has been my guideline. Only discs rated that high or higher have been worth upgrading.