Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Problems with "300" HD DVD

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Problems with "300" HD DVD

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-07, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300, Good Shepard, Children of Men, Hot Fuzz....not one problem with any of them on my 360 drive. But I have gone through 4 360's though...
Old 08-04-07, 05:34 AM

I went to my local target and they had plenty of bluray copies of 300, but none of the HD version. It was sold out.

Jacob
Old 08-04-07, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
True, and we may yet still...I'm just reporting that I'm not aware of any so far - including any customers complaints via e-mail or phone call. I think if there is a problem, it's much, much more minor than Hunt would have us think. In other words, no more serious than any other major release on any format (including Blu-ray)...there's always a few bad apples in a major release like 300.

And the stock issue about Blu-ray 300 is totally bogus. Stores may be short, but there's no shortage on Warner's end, I can tell you that.
Thanks Shannon, for giving us some fact-based info without bias! That's getting harder to come by day by day, it seems!
Old 08-04-07, 11:24 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
My Fry's had around 20 Blu-Ray copies off 300 and 8 HD DVDs left. To be fair, when I arrived Thursday morning they did had an extra 20 copies compared to HD DVD. Not bad for a 'dead format' charging $5 more.
Old 08-04-07, 06:04 PM
Suspended

My local Target was sold out of HD DVD versions of 300 (with rainchecks available) while they have 6 Blu-Rays still on the shelf.
Old 08-04-07, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
My copy freezes on my HD-A1 (2.3 firmware) right after the 29 minute mark. Happened three times in a row at the same exact point. Cleaning the disc --which showed no signs of discoloration or wear -- didn't help. Changing the soundtrack doesn't have an impact as it did for some people with the similar problems on Happy Feet. Deeply frustrating. Guess I should've saved a few bucks and picked up the Blu-ray release after all; the additional extras don't amount to much if I can't actually watch them.

It may freeze on other spots too, but considering what an ordeal it is to make it past the half-hour mark, I may never know.

ETA -- Sputters and stutters throughout chapters 15, 16, and 17, but none of that was nearly as bad as that tail-end of chapter 8.
Old 08-04-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Stock supply is probably regional. Where I live, it's darn near impossible to find 300 on Blu-ray, but it's everywhere on HD DVD. Strangely, I noticed Wal-Mart removed the Blu-ray version from its online catalog. I looked it up yesterday sometime to get an idea of how retailers are pricing these titles, and it was there. Check again today, and *poof*

das
Old 08-04-07, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
I was just in Best Buy today, and they had a probably a dozen copies of 300 on Blu-Ray; didn't see a single copy on HD-DVD.

Maybe there were so many returns on the HD-DVD version that they ran out of stock?
Old 08-04-07, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
My local Target was sold out of HD DVD versions of 300 (with rainchecks available) while they have 6 Blu-Rays still on the shelf.
My Target was the same way. Out of HD-DVD. One copy of Blu-Ray left. I got it.
Old 08-05-07, 04:45 AM

there was a spot for the HD DVD version. it was sold out. It was right next to the bluray edition.

Jacob
Old 08-05-07, 05:29 AM

The Target near me sold out also. I asked the electronics guy how many copies they had gotten in for the first week...he said 2.
Old 08-05-07, 11:17 AM

Just watched 300 on my 360 HD-DVD add-on and it worked like a charm! No stops, no skips.
Old 08-05-07, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Just to throw in one more account I had a freeze at the 42 minute mark with the 300 disc I rented. I restarted the A2 and was able to duplicate the freeze. I've already watched this one in theaters so I will probably just check out the extras and mail it back.

I've also recently had a freeze on a combo I had watched all the way through once with no problems on my A2. Superman Returns now freezes during the airplane rescue something it did not do the first time I watched it.

I either got lucky the first time or these discs get worse with age. There is also a chance my A2 is the issue. Audio CDs now skip all the time when played in the A2.

All of this is just going to continue to push me more to the side of Blu-ray. I had tons of issues with the A1 and now I'm starting to get them with the A2. I have yet to even have a hiccup on my PS3 with any disc. What really sucks is I want Hot Fuzz, but don't want to deal with combo issues on that title as well.
Old 08-05-07, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Which format does everyone think has had the most playback issues involving both bad hardware and software? Of course there are no hard numbers, but I certainly read more issues regarding HD DVD. And I owned the A1 since launch and have encountered freeze-ups along the way. I can't say the same for BD.
Old 08-05-07, 05:05 PM

I had problems with superman returns, but later in the movie when lex luthor is heading in helicopter to new kypton after leaving lois and jason in the boat.
my HD player is the A2.

Jacob
Old 08-05-07, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My A1 played thru fine. I did discover however that you cannot switch to the IME on the fly. That results in a black screen. No biggie. I will be watching it that way next.
Old 08-05-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Went ahead and bought Hot Fuzz tonight and it played back with no problems. I also said to hell with it and bought 300 on HD DVD. I'm going to watch that one tomorrow and hope I get all the way through it with no problem. Having no issues with Hot Fuzz has given me hope. I picked these up at the used store for $19.99 each, but I noticed at Target that they are sold out of 300 on HD DVD and had 8 copies of the BD version. The HD DVD is either selling better at $10 more or they ordered a lot more of the BD version. Maybe both.
Old 08-05-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
Went ahead and bought Hot Fuzz tonight and it played back with no problems. I also said to hell with it and bought 300 on HD DVD. I'm going to watch that one tomorrow and hope I get all the way through it with no problem. Having no issues with Hot Fuzz has given me hope. I picked these up at the used store for $19.99 each, but I noticed at Target that they are sold out of 300 on HD DVD and had 8 copies of the BD version. The HD DVD is either selling better at $10 more or they ordered a lot more of the BD version. Maybe both.
That's one of the biggest things I loathe about combos. They make you sit there and wonder when they're going to lock up, instead of being able to focus solely on the movie. That's no fun.
Old 08-05-07, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never had a playback problem with any of my combo discs.

Also, I was at one of Boise's Target stores yesterday and they'd sold out of the HD DVDs of both "300" and "Hot Fuzz". There were still a number of copies of "300" on BD, though . . .
Old 08-05-07, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by applesandrice
I've never had a playback problem with any of my combo discs.

Also, I was at one of Boise's Target stores yesterday and they'd sold out of the HD DVDs of both "300" and "Hot Fuzz". There were still a number of copies of "300" on BD, though . . .
I haven't either (knock on wood). Hot Fuzz is my latest to play just fine. Still don't care for them though.
Old 08-06-07, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
That's one of the biggest things I loathe about combos. They make you sit there and wonder when they're going to lock up, instead of being able to focus solely on the movie. That's no fun.
I have numerous combos and the only one that I've had an issue with was Children of Men, which has been well documented. My 300 was fine, same with Hot Fuzz.

I do think that the combo issue has been overblown in forums, and not always from people with good intentions. Try to enjoy your discs, and if something happens, well - it happens. But try not to be on edge waiting for a disc to fail - chances are you'll have a great HD experience!
Old 08-06-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Bleddyn Williams
I have numerous combos and the only one that I've had an issue with was Children of Men, which has been well documented. My 300 was fine, same with Hot Fuzz.

I do think that the combo issue has been overblown in forums, and not always from people with good intentions. Try to enjoy your discs, and if something happens, well - it happens. But try not to be on edge waiting for a disc to fail - chances are you'll have a great HD experience!
IMO you do a disservice to your favored format by trying to downplay it.

The AVS poll shows that 1 in 10 have had a problem with 300. That kind of failure rate is totally unacceptable for any format. It needs to be addressed, not downplayed.
Old 08-06-07, 01:15 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by QuePaso
Ive not read of a single playback issue with 300 Blu-ray and i visit 5+ forums daily. The hd-dvd has multiple threads on multiple forums about playback failures. So i would definitely not say you are correct on that case.

Looks like the bill hunt bashing continues even when proven baseless.
Kinda OT here, but are you in love with him? You seem to defend him every chance you get, even telling him how great he was when he posted some FUD right here at DVDTalk.
Old 08-06-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by ResIpsa

Couldn't agree more. It's all about context and what "facts" one chooses to include in a "news" story. For example, it's a fair bet that SOME (i.e. more than one) people have had problems with 300 playing back in the their Blu-Ray player of choice. And we know from other posters to this thread that the HD-DVD version has sold out at a number of stores. Therefore, Bill Hunt could just as ACCURATELY reported the inverse of what he chose to report.

Also, a sure sign of propaganda is the use of anonymous, uncredited sources ("some people report," "some retailers") and a liberal sprinkling of "qualifiers" (i.e. weasel words) such as "it could be," "it's unknown," "not everyone." and "it seems."

The first part of his "news" story regarding playback problems for the HD-DVD combos is probably newsworthy, depending on the relative number of people reorting problems. But when Hunt chooses to throw in his cute comment about Blu-Ray having its own "problem" keeping stocked, he demonstrates a very clear bias that is unseemly for one who purports to be a journalist, if in fact he claims to be a journalist.
Fantastic post.
Old 08-06-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
IMO you do a disservice to your favored format by trying to downplay it.

The AVS poll shows that 1 in 10 have had a problem with 300. That kind of failure rate is totally unacceptable for any format. It needs to be addressed, not downplayed.
That is a totally unscientific poll. I am sure there are plenty that voted they had a problem that don't even own a HD DVD player. The same could happen if polled on a BD release. It depends on the bias of the sample group. AVS is filled with people that are less mature than 10 year olds, and they skew towards BD.

I'm not saying there is a problem, but we haven't seen dozens of reports here, and we are less reactionary, and the 1eet crowd seems to stay away, so I would think the problems are far less than reported on AVS and that shill Hunt's site.

All that said, if I were Tosh, I would shelve the combos for the time being, especially on huge releases. They can't afford any bad pub.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.