Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Looks like Bram Stoker's Dracula is coming to BD this fall...

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-07, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.zap-sf.com/ go to "Coming Soon!"

COMING SOON / WORKS IN PROGRESS

Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992) New Enhanced Edition on DVD and Blu-ray Disc (Sony Pictures Home Entertainment)
Francis Coppola
DVD Release: Fall, 2007

Supposedly this will be an alternate cut, (longer...?) kind of like The Outsiders, Apocalypse Now Redux...)

This is an excerpt from actually a several year old chat with a zoetrope person...

"Can you tell us a little about what plans Zoetrope has for DVD? Some of the titles you are working on???
Kim Aubry: We are excited about the format...for us, this is a kind of departure. Our identity is really tied up in our film post production..we have recording studios and editing suites in San Francisco But now that we have build a DVD lab in our SF headquarters, we are applying our know how and our style to this opposite end of the business.We are in discussions with Criterion, Sony-Columbia, Paramount and a local SF label called Fantoma. Although nothing is inked yet, I believe our next DVD projects will include (for Paramount) The Conversation, Tucker, the Man and His Dream, as well as a new version of Bram Stoker's Dracula for Columbia..."

I just hope that there is a BD and for ONCE, Sony (Columbia) includes all the extras that will be on the DVD.
I have a copy of all the awesome criterion laserdisc supps (thanks to a great meber here!) though and commentary so I could live without it but there's no good excuse NOT to put it on the BD.

(I think the BD is scheduled for the UK already...)
Old 07-16-07, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

But if it's Paramount, doesnt that mean BD and HD-DVD?

D
Old 07-16-07, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Derrich
But if it's Paramount, doesnt that mean BD and HD-DVD?

D
It is a Sony title. That was a quote from this "Zoetrope" company. Interesting that they are working on a new DVD for The Conversation, I would love to own that in HD.
Old 07-16-07, 08:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
how about the longer NC-17 cut with the original picture...

I'd also love to see:

- Jonathan Harker's escape from the castle, getting attacked by the lady vampires and ultimately Dracula himself which he to proceeds to attack with a shovel.

Sony, please add a Dolby Digital TrueHD soundmix! (pretty please).
Old 07-16-07, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
how about the longer NC-17 cut with the original picture...

I'd also love to see:

- Jonathan Harker's escape from the castle, getting attacked by the lady vampires and ultimately Dracula himself which he to proceeds to attack with a shovel.

Sony, please add a Dolby Digital TrueHD soundmix! (pretty please).
I'd to like to see this as well. While we wait on the BD is this available anywhere on SD?
Old 07-16-07, 09:42 PM

There will be a 2 disc SE dvd with all new supplements released in October. Let's hope the BD will have all of these on it.

DFNYC, make it so...!

Old 07-17-07, 11:39 PM

Woah. Is digitalfreaknyc still banned...?!?!?!

:0
Old 07-18-07, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Suspensions you come back from. Bannings, you're gone for good.
Old 07-18-07, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,507 Posts
Originally Posted by matome
Bannings, you're gone for good.
Unless you're danol, then you still manage to temporarily return a couple of times.
Old 07-19-07, 06:12 PM
Dai

Good news!! I love this movie!!

BTW, when did dfnyc get banned? I need to pay more attention!
Old 07-21-07, 01:38 AM

a few months back.

What got him banned seemed very trivial.

Old 07-24-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This BD has just been added at DVDEmpire for the same day as the DVD SE (10/2), so it looks real. Can't wait to get my hands on this. I wonder if it will have the editing workshop like the Criterion laser.

Bloody WOLVES through a blew inferno!
Old 07-24-07, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is definitely one of my most anticipated BD releases. Can't wait to check out the PCM track.
Old 07-24-07, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Davy Mack
a few months back.

What got him banned seemed very trivial.

Especially considering his positive contributions to this forum.

It will be good to see this get a proper release on any format. Its been too long.
Old 07-24-07, 08:33 AM

Can't wait! I am looking forward to the anticipated bonus features too, which will hopefully appear on the Blu-ray release.
Old 07-24-07, 02:44 PM

http://dvd.themanroom.com/dvd-newsview.php?id=00633

'Bram Stoker's Dracula' Coming to Blu-ray Disc
July 24, 2007

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has announced 'Bram Stoker's Dracula' starring Winona Ryder and Gary Oldman will be available October 2 on Blu-ray Disc.

'Bram Stoker's Dracula' will be presented in widescreen 1.85:1 1080p video and PCM 5.1 lossless audio. Extra features have not yet been released, though we hold out hope they're identical to those found on the two-disc special edition DVD set.

'Bram Stoker's Dracula' on Blu-ray Disc will carry an SRP of $28.95. Check back regularly for a look at the high resolution cover art.
Old 07-24-07, 04:48 PM

I wonder if this will be a new edit as suggested on zoetrope's own site...?

Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992) New Enhanced Edition on DVD and Blu-ray Disc (Sony Pictures Home Entertainment)
Francis Coppola
Old 07-24-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Davy Mack
I wonder if this will be a new edit as suggested on zoetrope's own site...?

Francis Coppola
Nothing there really seems to indicate a new version of the film..."Enhanced" Edition could mean any number of things (probably with regards to the special features).
Old 07-26-07, 03:41 AM

But remember, Zoetrope did "The Outsiders: the complete novel" and "apocalypse Now redux" so there is a track record. Also...

This is an excerpt from actually a several year old chat with a zoetrope person...

"Can you tell us a little about what plans Zoetrope has for DVD? Some of the titles you are working on???
Kim Aubry: We are excited about the format...for us, this is a kind of departure. Our identity is really tied up in our film post production..we have recording studios and editing suites in San Francisco But now that we have build a DVD lab in our SF headquarters, we are applying our know how and our style to this opposite end of the business.We are in discussions with Criterion, Sony-Columbia, Paramount and a local SF label called Fantoma. Although nothing is inked yet, I believe our next DVD projects will include (for Paramount) The Conversation, Tucker, the Man and His Dream, as well as a new version of Bram Stoker's Dracula for Columbia..."
Old 07-27-07, 01:47 AM

I think y'all were right. Just the original (no problem here, though it would be cool to see a longer, gorier cut...)

Title: Bram Stoker's Dracula (IMDb)
Starring: Gary Oldman
Released: 2nd October 2007
SRP: $24.96

Further Details:
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has announced a new special edition of Bram Stoker's Dracula which stars Gary Oldman, Winona Ryder, Anthony Hopkins, and Keanu Reeves. The two-disc special edition will include a newly remastered anamorphic widescreen presentation, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround track. Extras will include a video introduction by Francis Ford Coppola, an audio commentary by Coppola, a documentary, deleted scenes, the trailer, and more. A Blu-ray edition will also be available for around $28.95. We've attached the official package artwork below:
Old 08-04-07, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

paidgeek (Sony insider) confirms that Bram Stoker's Dracula BD extras will be "fully loaded".

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post11212136
Old 09-19-07, 10:11 AM

here's a review from High Def Digest - and it aint pretty. The supplements should be grand, but the audio and video on the HiDef side of the release - quite frankly stink - this really upsets me. Having the seen the HiDef airing of this on HDNet Movies which was also lacklustre - I don't think the right elements or the actual transferral to HiDef worked to this film's advantage. Also surprised to note that the sound is lacking - I thought the DTS on the superbit was great, as was the PCM tracks on the Criterion laserdisc which had very boomy low bass.

Bram Stoker's Dracula
Old 09-19-07, 10:40 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've got this on the way to review. Will let you know how it is when I pop it in the player.
Old 09-19-07, 12:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giles
here's a review from High Def Digest - and it aint pretty. The supplements should be grand, but the audio and video on the HiDef side of the release - quite frankly stink - this really upsets me. Having the seen the HiDef airing of this on HDNet Movies which was also lacklustre - I don't think the right elements or the actual transferral to HiDef worked to this film's advantage. Also surprised to note that the sound is lacking - I thought the DTS on the superbit was great, as was the PCM tracks on the Criterion laserdisc which had very boomy low bass.

Bram Stoker's Dracula
It's only one review but it is disappointing. I wish Zoetrope would have let Sony do the transfer. Say what you will about Sony, but it's been pretty good when it comes to picture quality lately...
Old 09-19-07, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
It's only one review but it is disappointing. I wish Zoetrope would have let Sony do the transfer. Say what you will about Sony, but it's been pretty good when it comes to picture quality lately...
like the review pointed out the fault seems to fall directly on Zoetrope, not using a better print or even looking at the final product.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.