Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Okay! Sooooo...Where are the Extras???

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 05-29-06, 09:03 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking at the Amazon.com info on recent releases in HD-DVD and besides the obvious upgrades in picture and sound quality, I am not seeing anything more in the way of extras! I thought that large amounts of bonus features was supposed to be part of the appeal with these next generation discs, right? I recall reading that the releases would now be able to include massive amounts of material of interest to the buyers, even including games (far more advanced than the usual children's DVD games). What happened?

Are there any discs that have come out which really do have many more features and I have just missed them somehow? What are some of the examples? Perhaps it was actually supposed to be the Blu-rays which claimed to have all these extras and not HD-DVD?
Old 05-29-06, 09:09 AM
Banned

As has been stated, The Bourne Supremacy has the first exclusive extras. Constantine will have the same feature. I'd see that thread for more information.
Old 05-29-06, 09:43 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Ah, I see the IME feature you like on the Constantine thread. I guess that could be an interesting extra but it doesn't seem dramatically different than all the bonus features on the Constantine 2-disc Deluxe Edition. I didn't see anything about the Bourne Supremacy but if that is also just IME then that is not really what I had hoped for either. Judging by the responses on the Constantine thread, IME is also not tickling everyone's fancy either. I'm actually more interested in bonus features that didn't really exist on previous bare-bones releases. And the aforementioned features like games, plus other things talked about like isolated soundtrack scores, classic interviews on variety shows, etc.

Like I said, perhaps that was articles on BRD that I am confusing with HD-DVD which would make sense considering the difference in disc space capacity. Maybe the studios are intentionally holding back for future Special Edition deluxe HD-DVD releases to continue encouraging existing success with double-dipping practices?
Old 05-29-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm just hoping that the trend for the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray releases is that they contain all of the extras that were on their DVD counterparts. Any additional extras would be nice, but not necessary IMHO. If they add extras, but drop some of the extras from the DVD release, that would almost as rotten. I suppose it does depend on what extras they drop. If they drop filmographies or production notes, I suppose I can live with that.
Old 05-29-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The point of HD DVD for me is the sound and audio of the film. I think people get way too caught up in bonus features you watch maybe once if at all. I've been happy that we are getting all the features of the more expensive 2 DVD disc editions for many of the releases and don't mind that most of the extras are 480i (I've honestly skipped 99% of the extras on the discs I have rented). However, Warner and Universal will both start adding the in movie experience stuff and exclusive features with some of the newer titles coming out.
Old 05-29-06, 11:54 AM
Banned

The Bourne Supremacy not only has all the extras from it's release but some of the extras from the Bourne Identity (re-release). The IME is fantastic and I'm the only person in that thread who has responded who has the disc. IME is a brand new extra. I don't know what else you want.
Old 05-29-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chronicles of Riddick also has some additional bonus material that was only included as a Best Buy (?) bonus disc.
Old 05-29-06, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
The Bourne Supremacy not only has all the extras from it's release but some of the extras from the Bourne Identity (re-release). The IME is fantastic and I'm the only person in that thread who has responded who has the disc. IME is a brand new extra. I don't know what else you want.
I'm watching this tonight to see how it holds up to the regular SD releases.

I noticed some issues with Helsing the other night, and one problem with Riddick yesterday, so i'm hoping that it's only an isolated problem with just those two disks.

I'm also the kind who really doesn't care for all of the special features - more concerned with the actual visuals and sounds of the main movie.
Old 05-29-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by flashburn
Chronicles of Riddick also has some additional bonus material that was only included as a Best Buy (?) bonus disc.
Actually, it doesn't. There are 3 featurettes listed on the packaging that aren't found anywhere on the disc.
Old 05-29-06, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by juanmgonzalez
I'm watching this tonight to see how it holds up to the regular SD releases.

I noticed some issues with Helsing the other night, and one problem with Riddick yesterday, so i'm hoping that it's only an isolated problem with just those two disks.

I'm also the kind who really doesn't care for all of the special features - more concerned with the actual visuals and sounds of the main movie.

This is all very weird to me (i.e. HD playback problems), it makes me wonder if it’s something we’re doing or if it’s software/hardware problems.

I’ve heard people are having problems with their disc playback. It’s more evident on the avsforum. I have a HD-A1 and haven’t had a single play back problem, ever. I’ve purchased and watched Van Helsing, BS, Serenity, Last Samurai and Swordfish. I guess I’m just lucky (knocking on wood).
Old 05-29-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Actually, it doesn't. There are 3 featurettes listed on the packaging that aren't found anywhere on the disc.
Doh, that sucks. I didn't actually try to watch them yet, I just saw it on the packaging. Oh well, guess I will keep that extra disc then. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-29-06, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flashburn
Doh, that sucks. I didn't actually try to watch them yet, I just saw it on the packaging. Oh well, guess I will keep that extra disc then. Thanks for the heads up.
Maybe they're hidden as easter eggs (Universal's "Serenity" disc does have a hidden egg), but I played around with the menus for quite some time and couldn't find anything.
Old 06-12-06, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Maybe they're hidden as easter eggs (Universal's "Serenity" disc does have a hidden egg), but I played around with the menus for quite some time and couldn't find anything.
Well, umm, this is kind of embarrassing, but those three featurettes are on the disc if you just scroll down to the second menu page. When I first saw the titles listed in the menu I wasn't paying attention and thought they were the names of the three deleted scenes. D'oh!

I've updated my review.
Old 06-12-06, 08:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Keep in mind that this first year of discs, like any launch of a new format, will not be the norm once everything is finalized.

Also, don't forget that they can't put extras on there that don't exist. They have to make all those special features, and I'm sure with this first wave they were more interested in getting the audio/video right.
Old 06-12-06, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would say the ideal extra on HDDVD or BD would be an extra in HD and Dolby/DTS. So far, nothing like that, right? It took them years to even consider putting anamorphic extras on DVD with surround sound if applicable. I hope we don't have to wait that long on the new formats.
Old 06-13-06, 12:22 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I think they're planning to put most of the extras in SD to pack more in. I would like to see the trailers included on the disc in HD A/V, though.
Old 06-13-06, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiky
I would say the ideal extra on HDDVD or BD would be an extra in HD and Dolby/DTS. So far, nothing like that, right? It took them years to even consider putting anamorphic extras on DVD with surround sound if applicable. I hope we don't have to wait that long on the new formats.
The deleted and extended scenes on the Jarhead HD DVD are 720p HD, according to the packaging, though they're mastered from a poor-quality workprint and don't look so great.

Most of the making-of featurettes and EPK material we get on DVD now was shot on standard-def video, so it's not like they can just magically make it HD. It's possible that we may see these features shot in HD video going forward, but I don't know that many studios will consider the expense of that to be worth the investment.
Old 06-13-06, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wonder if and when we will see the first 2 disc set. Would anyone here pay $50+ for a 2 disc of something? Like The Matrix or any of the LOTR series?
Old 06-13-06, 11:21 AM

While the studios pushed the new formats based on the possibility of higher resolutions, sound quality and extras, their real interest is the enhanced copy protection. They are only going to add extras if they feel they have to to increase sales. The first movies are only going to be purchased by early adopters. That target is going to buy the equipment and movies regardless of the presence of extra features.

When the studios hare actualy having to compete in the arena, when the extras will influnce a purchase decision, then they will add them.
Old 06-13-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by GrimmSD
When the studios hare actualy having to compete in the arena, when the extras will influnce a purchase decision, then they will add them.
At this point, all of the hd-dvds at least have the same special features as the sd-dvd...The announced Fifth Element BD will not (at this point). Im sure this will enter into the buying decision for some people. It has for me.

I will not support a format that will release substandard discs. At the very least, give us a 2nd sd dvd disc with the special features on it.