Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

How good is HDTV channels for sports?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-06, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just caved in and finally ordered Direct TV HDTV. Now the TV I have was bought a couple years ago and at that time was highly reccomended as a good Panasonic 47" HDTV (I beleive now you would call it a CRT HDTV??) Anyway Component DVDs look very good on it.

I was going to wait until I got a sony SXRD but I don't have the money for 1 right now. The TV I have only has 2 component connections (no HDMI or anything like that) so I'm gonna have to have the DVD, XBOX 360, and HDTV share time between the 2 connections. But I decided I just had to see what HDTV is like. I want to watch some baseball games this year in HDTV.

My question is to people who do have HDTV, how good is it going to look on my TV compared to what I'm used to? Hype me up on this, did I make the right descision in not waiting and just going for it now, with my current TV?
Old 03-05-06, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have only watched football on My HD set but its a night and day difference from broadcast SD.
Old 03-05-06, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Sports is probably the biggest difference and biggest reason to get HD. I found most regular TV shows and movies to be marginally better in HD, but sports are a huge difference.
Old 03-05-06, 12:12 AM

Thanks! It's coming in this Thursday so I look foward to checking out some ESPN HD as soon as I get it!
Old 03-05-06, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Keep in mind that a lot of the stuff on ESPN HD isn't actually HD.
Old 03-05-06, 12:37 AM

Why have a special channel that has "HD" at the end and not be "HD"?

How about the National Geographic "HD". .

I'm mainly getting this for Cubs games. All home games on WGN here are broadcast in HD. I view the other channels as a bonus. So which channel should I immediately turn it to for some HD sports? I know all local channels should be in HD.
Old 03-05-06, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

ESPN is the most obvious choice, but as noted sometimes they do switch to SD. Most of the networks do too, by the way. Not all local programming is in HD nor will it ever "have" to be.

Sports look awesome in HD, baseball in particular. Like being there almost except the beer and dogs aren't a rip-off.
Old 03-05-06, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Sports look awesome in HD, baseball in particular. Like being there almost except the beer and dogs aren't a rip-off.
I agree with this statment. I was watching the Cavs/Pistons game last weekend and it really felt like I was watching it from the stands. Pretty cool.
Old 03-05-06, 08:32 AM

Sports on HD are fantastic. Baseball is great, but football and hoops (as well as golf) actually benefit even more with HDTV than baseball IMHO. The widescreen aspect is a huge help in hoops and football as the camera pans horizontally most of the game. Baseball is different, though the increase in pixels are the main benefit there. Most stuff on ESPNHD will be HD and any BIG EVENT certainly will be. ABC/ESPN/Disney still simply doesn't have enough national trucks to carry everything everywhere in HD. But they add HD trucks whenever possible and it definitley gets better month by month.
Also check out Mark Cuban's channels HDNET and HDNET movies. Movies always widescreen, always OAR and some great movie choices. Great stuff.
You'll love the whole package. Also, how about a receiver with 2 component inputs/1 output. You need a receiver for the whole 5.1 surround sound available with your Cubs games anyway. You hook the dvd player and HDTV box into the receiver (then one component from the receiver to the TV), then run your XBOX 360 component straight to the TV. Everything ready to go. I love XBOX 360 with the upgraded HD graphics on Halo 2. Can't get enough of that.
Old 03-05-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
Sports is probably the biggest difference and biggest reason to get HD.

I agree.

Plus since you have DirecTV, you get ESPN2HD which gives you a lot more HD sports than most of us.
Old 03-05-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
ESPN is the most obvious choice, but as noted sometimes they do switch to SD. Most of the networks do too, by the way. Not all local programming is in HD nor will it ever "have" to be.

I wouldn't even say that that 50% of the live sports programming on ESPNHD is actually in HD.
Old 03-05-06, 11:23 AM

I do have to agree; basketball and hockey benefit greatly from HD due to the layout of the game and the left-right panning. I am a so-so hockey fan and not a basketball fan though so my baseball comment was more an affirmation of quality of baseball than a condemnation of basketball.
Old 03-05-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Red Dog
I agree.

Plus since you have DirecTV, you get ESPN2HD which gives you a lot more HD sports than most of us.
Hey RedDog does Cox not have ESPN2HD up there? I have it on my adelphia lineup. Then again I don't have TNT or NBC grrrr....

Oh yea Sports is freaking AWESOME in HD. That is the sole reason I got my Tosh. 51H84. Love every second of it. You will too. I guarantee it.
Old 03-05-06, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sports is IMHO the single best reason to buy HDTV. I mean, tv is nice, but the difference is not as big as it is with sports where seeing lines and numbers and small details make a big difference. Don't get me wrong, it is nice having HBO HD since the Sopranos are getting ready to start.
Old 03-05-06, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Teremei
Why have a special channel that has "HD" at the end and not be "HD"?
It's the channel that is used to broadcast HD when it is available. Not all programs are broadcast in HD. No different than the networks - some material is in HD, while other is not. The channel will air all shows, but it varies whether it will truly be in HD or not.

How about the National Geographic "HD". .
DirecTV does not have National Geographic HD yet (unless I missed it). If you're looking for that kind of programming, check out HDNet - fabulous looking "nature" programs.

I'm mainly getting this for Cubs games. All home games on WGN here are broadcast in HD. I view the other channels as a bonus.
They may be broadcast in HD, but does DirecTV pick them up? They might - I have no idea since I'm not in Chicago. For example, FSN broadcasts some Wolves/Wild/Twins games in HD, but they don't have a full-time HD channel that they broadcast on. DirecTV picks up a few of them on their "special broadcast" channels, but not all of them by any means.

[QUOTE]So which channel should I immediately turn it to for some HD sports?
Outside of ESPN and ESPN2's HD channels, there really won't be much available for sports on DirecTV. NBA on TNT is the only other thing that I can think of.

I know all local channels should be in HD.
I forget that some areas can get HD locals via HD now - we're not there yet. So, I'm guessing that you will get your locals via satellite (I'm still only getting them via antenna). But keep in mind - no different that the ESPN discussion above - the digital version of your local channels will NOT always broadcast in HD. Many shows are still not broadcast in HD.

I'll say this - when you get it hooked up, if you're saying "is this HD or not?" or "this isn't as good as I expected...", then the show you're watching probably isn't HD (or you have something set up wrong). If it's HD, you'll KNOW it's HD!

You won't be disappointed - enjoy!
Old 03-06-06, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by johnglad
Sports on HD are fantastic. Baseball is great, but football and hoops (as well as golf) actually benefit even more with HDTV than baseball IMHO. The widescreen aspect is a huge help in hoops and football as the camera pans horizontally most of the game. Baseball is different, though the increase in pixels are the main benefit there. Most stuff on ESPNHD will be HD and any BIG EVENT certainly will be. ABC/ESPN/Disney still simply doesn't have enough national trucks to carry everything everywhere in HD. But they add HD trucks whenever possible and it definitley gets better month by month.
Also check out Mark Cuban's channels HDNET and HDNET movies. Movies always widescreen, always OAR and some great movie choices. Great stuff.
You'll love the whole package. Also, how about a receiver with 2 component inputs/1 output. You need a receiver for the whole 5.1 surround sound available with your Cubs games anyway. You hook the dvd player and HDTV box into the receiver (then one component from the receiver to the TV), then run your XBOX 360 component straight to the TV. Everything ready to go. I love XBOX 360 with the upgraded HD graphics on Halo 2. Can't get enough of that.
I actually have a panasonic reciever for my surround sound. Will this work? I've never really figured out how to connect everything through it. Since when I change to my DVD I have to hit the audio button to switch to "DVD" audio. Since the DVD player is the only one going through the reciever first, then to the TV. I'll check on that tommorow though. Thanks!!
Old 03-06-06, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by shelland
They may be broadcast in HD, but does DirecTV pick them up? They might - I have no idea since I'm not in Chicago. For example, FSN broadcasts some Wolves/Wild/Twins games in HD, but they don't have a full-time HD channel that they broadcast on. DirecTV picks up a few of them on their "special broadcast" channels, but not all of them by any means.
What do you mean by "pick them up?" I get WGN locally in SD through DirectTV and they say "this game is being broadcast in HD during every home game". .

Just by getting the channel, and having an HD satellite and box, shouldn't that auomatically mean I'm watching it in HD?
Old 03-06-06, 05:56 AM

You sort of answered your own question; home games will be in HD, but road games may not be, depending on the facilities where the te away game is being played.
Old 03-06-06, 06:00 AM

You sort of answered your own question; home games will be in HD, but road games may not be, depending on the facilities where the te away game is being played.
Oh I knew for a fact that only home games broadcast by one certain channel (WGN) will be broadcast in HD. But you got me confused. I thought you knew something I didn't. Like I needed some sort of special tuner/reciever to be eligable to see them in HDTV. Even IF I had the HDTV package and reciever, I thought you meant I needed something more.

Oh and earlier, I meant DiscoveryHD. What does HDnet show mostly? I'm really looking foward to the nature programs broadcast in either DiscoveryHD OR HDnet.

Last edited by Teremei; 03-06-06 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-06-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
Sports is probably the biggest difference and biggest reason to get HD. I found most regular TV shows and movies to be marginally better in HD, but sports are a huge difference.
That pretty much sums it up for me too (and just about everyone I know in real life). The night-and-day difference between HD and SD is easily apparent with sports. I had a big crowd over for the Superbowl and everyone was amazed when I switched the channel between ABC HD and the standard def channel. Not even a comparison.

But if I were to do the same thing with a good quality DVD and compare it to the HD version on a premium movie channel or OTA then the difference is much more subtle (despite what the resolution is). I only mention that in hopes that HD-DVD and BluRay look much better for HD movies than what I've seen so far. Otherwise, I don't know if most will feel it's worth the upgrade.

But for watching HD video like NFL broadcasts, the difference is amazing.
Old 03-06-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What do you mean by "pick them up?" I get WGN locally in SD through DirectTV and they say "this game is being broadcast in HD during every home game". .

Just by getting the channel, and having an HD satellite and box, shouldn't that auomatically mean I'm watching it in HD?
No. Right now WGN-SD and WGN-HD are 2 different channels, and you need to have some access to both of them individually. DirecTV may have the HD version available at this time, not sure. You should also be able to receive it via antenna, which would be a better choice, anyway. All DirecTV HD boxes can receive from both antenna and satellite, although there are some restrictions.
Old 03-06-06, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
No. Right now WGN-SD and WGN-HD are 2 different channels, and you need to have some access to both of them individually. DirecTV may have the HD version available at this time, not sure. You should also be able to receive it via antenna, which would be a better choice, anyway. All DirecTV HD boxes can receive from both antenna and satellite, although there are some restrictions.
I still don't understand this stuff, but I'll learn as I go. Like the "optional" off air antenna for local channels. I'll ask them about that when they get here.

But I don't think you understand. WGN broadcasts the certain games in HD. It is NOT a seperate channel. Infact when I watch it (regular ol WGN here) they say if you had HD you'd be enjoying the game in HD "right now!". They mention NOTHING at all about turning to a seperate channel. But anyway I'll find out for sure, soon enough. .
Old 03-06-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
But I don't think you understand.
No, he understands correctly, and he's right: they're two physically separate channels. For instance, with my cable provider, my local NBC affiliate is on channel 4 in standard definition and channel 784 in HD. HBO is channel 701 and HBO-HD is 777. Satellite is the same way. When I use an antenna, I tune to channel 7 to get CBS in standard definition but use channel 7.1 to get CBS-HD.
Old 03-06-06, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by kantonburg
Hey RedDog does Cox not have ESPN2HD up there? I have it on my adelphia lineup. Then again I don't have TNT or NBC grrrr....

Oh yea Sports is freaking AWESOME in HD. That is the sole reason I got my Tosh. 51H84. Love every second of it. You will too. I guarantee it.
I have Comcast, and no we don't have it.
Old 03-06-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're in MD right? I keep thinking you're in NoVa.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.