Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

tough playstation 3/HDMI questions

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-06, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have a flat panel HDTV, but it has no HDMI, unfortunately, it has DVI, which is the same thing, but without sound. I know the format is compatible, and connectivity can be easily acheived with a HDMI to DVI cable, while doing optical audio seperately. I will prolly shell out $600 for the loaded version (i'll be sorry if i dont), but what i am afraid of is if i use a conversion cable, HDCP might not like it, and quality of blue ray movies will be downgraded. is there anyway of finding out if it will be or not? my TV does support HDCP, but i know if the signal isn't 100 percent, it will throw off HDCP. thats why i am worried about getting a conversion cable, because it might set off HDCP. is there anyone that has tried this with a HD-DVD player or something?
I also heard that it will be able to play blu-ray movies through component. (if the ps3 even supports component) apparently the spec sheet lists AV multi out, and HDMI. grrr
Old 05-11-06, 06:00 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It isn't a "conversion". DVI and HDMI are essentially the same cable (for video), just different connectors on the end. If your TV is HDCP compliant, it should be fine.
Old 05-11-06, 06:03 PM

has anyone tried this method with an HD-DVD player?
Old 05-11-06, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by UncleCaveman
what i am afraid of is if i use a conversion cable, HDCP might not like it, and quality of blue ray movies will be downgraded.
If the two ends of your signal chain don't achieve the proper HDCP "handshake", it isn't downgraded picture quality you'll have to worry about. You won't get any picture at all.

So long as your TV is HDCP-compliant, DVI/HDMI isn't an issue. It's just a different connector type. Many HD-DVD owners on the AVS Forums are successfully connected to DVI displays.
Old 05-11-06, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't know if this is important to you or not, but if you want to take advantage of the advanced audio formats (like DD+ and TrueHD), you'll need HDMI if you want to connect digitally. Of course, you'll need a new receiver for that. I don't know much about the connections, so I don't know if you could set it up so that HDMI goes to the receiver and DVI goes to the TV.

The HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players have multichannel analog outputs that allow you to use the new audio formats, but with analog connections. However, I would be surprised if the PS3 will output more than two channels in analog.
Old 05-11-06, 11:08 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by Drexl
I don't know much about the connections, so I don't know if you could set it up so that HDMI goes to the receiver and DVI goes to the TV.
The best way would be to send the HDMI-out from the DVDp to the receiver and then HDMI-to-DVI cable from the receiver to the TV.

Of course, you'll need HDMI 1.3 to transmit DD+ (and the other HD-sound formats) and no such recievers exist (nor have been announced -- because HDMI 1.3 isn't finalized yet).
Old 05-12-06, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I may be wrong, but that will be the only way, no?
Old 05-12-06, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
prolly?
Old 05-12-06, 11:26 AM
mbs

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
I may be wrong, but that will be the only way, no?
Yes, once ICT is enforced.
Old 05-12-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't think ICT has anything to do with it though. To get the high def audio codecs out you must send HDMI to a capable receiver, and the receiver then sends on the video portion to the display from its HDMI output. I don't think you can utilize HDMI and component simultaneously, but I am unsure if the HDMI can be "split" to two sources. Do they manufacture Y cables for HDMI?
Old 05-12-06, 04:36 PM
mbs

I don't think you can utilize HDMI and component simultaneously,
Oh, that is what I was thinking as another option. So if this isn't possible, then yeah, ICT is irrelevant.
Old 05-12-06, 05:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think you can utilize HDMI and component simultaneously, but I am unsure if the HDMI can be "split" to two sources. Do they manufacture Y cables for HDMI?
I believe there is a handshake, which would make a Y, or even an audio/video splitter, very difficult, if not impossible.
Old 05-12-06, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by gcbrowni
I believe there is a handshake, which would make a Y, or even an audio/video splitter, very difficult, if not impossible.
There are one in, two out HDMI splitters. I was actually looking at one a few months ago when I was considering putting an HDTV in my kitchen. They aren't cheap (around $250), but they are HDCP compliant. http://www.4videoequipment.com/video...idproduct=2289

I really hope that we see HD-DVD players with dual HDMI outputs. I like the idea of running the video straight to my display and the audio to my pre/pro. Video processing inside the pre/pro tends to degrade sound quality, IMO.
Old 05-13-06, 09:01 PM

Monoprice.com has a very good 5x1 HDMI switcher for something like $130. I am using it with my HD Tivo, HD cable box and HD-A1 and I have no problems. It supports discrete inputs, so my Harmony 880 changes the input when I switch devices and is fully HDCP compliant. It supports up to 1080p, but I don't think it passes audio. I use a HDMI > DVI cable on the output to my TV and I have no problems with the "handshake". Picture looks great, no sparkles. I love the damn thing, made life so much easier.
Old 05-23-06, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well we all know now why the cheaper PS3 doesn't have HDMI now that HDCP is getting pushed back.
Old 05-23-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jiggawhat
Well we all know now why the cheaper PS3 doesn't have HDMI now that HDCP is getting pushed back.
Well it still won't deliver the promised 1080p gaming which was a huge promise by Sony at last years E3 unless TV manufacturers start supporting it over component. I still can't see buying a PS3 and walking out of the store with the low end model if you have a HDTV or plan on getting one in the near future.
Old 05-23-06, 09:03 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
HDCP is not getting pushed back, it is in effect today.

You mean ICT (HDCP and ICT are not interchangable and are very different forms of copy protection), but that is still just a rumor and unconfirmed (it might be true, but it isn't fact -- until we hear from an offical source).
Old 05-23-06, 09:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by darkside
Well it still won't deliver the promised 1080p gaming which was a huge promise by Sony at last years E3 unless TV manufacturers start supporting it over component. I still can't see buying a PS3 and walking out of the store with the low end model if you have a HDTV or plan on getting one in the near future.
Westinghouse 42" LCD 1080p TV supports 1080p Input via Component and HDMI.
Old 05-23-06, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Blitz6Speed
Any others? Are you stuck with that single model of TV if you get the low end PS3? Still don't see buying the tard pack if you have an HDTV.
Old 05-23-06, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mbs
HDCP is not getting pushed back, it is in effect today.

You mean ICT (HDCP and ICT are not interchangable and are very different forms of copy protection), but that is still just a rumor and unconfirmed (it might be true, but it isn't fact -- until we hear from an offical source).
My mistake. That's what I wanted to say.
Old 05-23-06, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't 1080p with games not a problem without HDMI, only playing BR movies if the disc has ICT.
Old 05-24-06, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You're not wrong. And since there don't appear to be many TVs on the market yet which accept any kind of 1080p input, it's not surprising there aren't many which accept component 1080p either.
Old 05-24-06, 07:31 AM
Banned

Its still early in the 1080p game. All new tv's from here on out that are decent and not bottom of the barrell should now feature 1080p inputs via HDMI at the very least, and a lot will also do it via Component, which the Westinghouse does already. So dont give up hope yet, even tho so many of you would love to close the coffin on this, theres still a lot of life left!
Old 05-24-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Blitz6Speed
Not according to its specs. Not via component.
http://www.westinghousedigital.com/p...p-monitor.aspx

Probably doesn't matter since the PS3 won't output 1080p on component, anyway.
Old 05-24-06, 12:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spiky
Not according to its specs. Not via component.
http://www.westinghousedigital.com/p...p-monitor.aspx

Probably doesn't matter since the PS3 won't output 1080p on component, anyway.
When i was researching this set on AVS, i saw it said there and the best buy website also listed it as component 1080p in.

But you are right, it looks like its not via the direct website. I should have researched even more, DAMN!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.