Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Help. I'm an HD moron

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Help. I'm an HD moron

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-06, 04:13 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help. I'm an HD moron

Ok need some advice guys.

I recently bought a very nice 30 inch Toshiba HD television at best buy. I'm very happy with it so far. I have cable, but it is not digital. My landlord takes care of it.

I would say 90% percent of my television viewing is for video games and movies. Not a big tv fan. I could give a shit less about watching American Idol in HD.

I'm currently using a very crappy dvd player. I need to get a new one. While I am happy with the quality im getting out of the television, it could be better. I know for true HD quality sutff you need an adapter. Roughly, do you guys know where to get one, how much they would be and is it worth getting if I'm primarily watching movies and playing games?

Or would an adapter be mostly for people who actually subscribe to HD cable?

Also, I'm going to be moving out soon. While I would like HD cannels (like discovery) I dont want to pay for all the channels. Does anyone know if any cable companies have subscriptions to just HD channels and nothing else?

I got a good television but I'm not using it to its full advantage. Any tips on how to get the best out of it?

Thanks. And yea, i'm getting a new dvd player soon. Is it worth it to wait for a HD dvd player?

Last edited by whynotsmile; 01-23-06 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-23-06, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
If your TV has a QAM tuner, try plugging the cable directly into the set. You'll more than likely at least be able to get some of your local channels in HD.

If your TV has an ATSC tuner built-in, you can plug in an antenna and see what you can get over-the-air for free. If not, you can buy an external ATSC tuner. You won't need any sort of adapter for HD-DVD/Blu-Ray/high definition video games so long as you have the right cables.

As far as other HD programming, you'll need to get a set-top box from a satellite or cable provider, although it sounds like that might not be an option for you at the moment. I don't know about most cable/satellite providers, but I've read posts from people who've gotten only HD programming (I think that might just be for the Voom channels; can't recall) for next-to-nothing.