Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Launch titles: BD vs HD DVD

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Launch titles: BD vs HD DVD

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-06, 12:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
What is the reason Universal, Paramount, and WB won't just support Blu-Ray?

Consumers are usually the ones to decide which format survives, but I'm worried about the timeframe it will take to decide a winner. If both formats are available for over a year or 2, then whichever side loses, there's going to be plenty of people with a worthless BR or HD-DVD player. I just hope it doesn't take long for a winner.

If Universal switches to Blu-Ray I may change my mind, but they have alot of titles I want.
Well, Paramount and WB do support Blu-Ray (please read primers at top of forum).

Universal is a little weird. Some say that they have a financial interest in the format. Some say that their ties to Microsoft are preventing them from making the move (and that when Microsoft sells off its shares, they will switch). But pretty much no one can give a good answer. When you ask them, they stand by the "price" claim which may or may not have a leg to stand on (we have to wait and see what disc prices will be).

Hopefully they will make the jump soon and end this stupid war.
Old 01-23-06, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joshd2012
Well, Paramount and WB do support Blu-Ray (please read primers at top of forum).
I know they do. I'm saying, why don't they exclusively support BR.
Old 01-23-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
What is the reason Universal, Paramount, and WB won't just support Blu-Ray?
What is the reason that Disney, Fox, and the others won't just support HD-DVD?
Old 01-23-06, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Disney: size. They need 50GB for umpteen language tracks and bloated extras.

Fox: BD+ gave them the security they needed.

With regard to the HD DVD loyals:

Time Warner has had longtime liaisons with Toshiba so it is only natural. Also TW holds some intellectual property with standard DVD that would carry over to HD DVD.

Universal and Paramount probably were persuaded by the first-to-market advantage of HD DVD. They expected they could launch by Christmas 05, which was a very juiciy slice.

It is also rumored that Universal demanded some kind of kickback to support Blu-ray.

Additionally, Universal is linked to Microsoft via MSNBC. However, that connection will soon disappear.
Old 01-23-06, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Grubert is correct on Disney. They know their sell through market is smaller because of the main audience, children, of their animated properties. Many parents buying the content will be satsified with using cheaper dvds. Disney wants to add the games and interactive features to lure them away.

Fox is a difficult beast to tame. Let's put it this way. Anyone think it is interesting that Fox is the studio that pushed for the additional BD+ protection, but is also the only studio openly against ICT downrezzing? Interesting.

When copy protection was being discussed for DVD, W-B came to blows with Fox. The main argument was that W-B wanted DVD out the door asap, contending that the Toshiba CCS scheme was secure enough. Fox disagreed, hence the reason they waited before releasing titles on dvd. CSS was hacked shortly after that and Fox and W-B have been going at each other since. Toshiba and W-B are once again saying AACS is enough, and Fox disagrees.
Old 01-23-06, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
BTW, two reasons I have heard for W-B joining the BDA.

W-B joined the BDA at the last minute to get their BD-9 discs and MMC approved. They figured that if Hd-dvd lost to BR in the future, at least they would get their spec approved before it was too late for the BDA to change. It was approved the following week I believe.

I also remember reading that Time-Warner was under extreme pressure via stock holders to end the fight or at least support the stronger format at the time.