Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Fox shortens high-def window to 60 days from theatrical release

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Fox shortens high-def window to 60 days from theatrical release

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-06, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
If you can find an audience who doesn't talk or ruin the film, the theater experience still beats anything else.
I think I saw one of those once. I think Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny were in line with me that day.
Old 01-12-06, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish they would just close all theaters right now, unless they can find some other use for them besides movie watching because they don't work for that anymore. Maybe cell phone orgies.
Old 01-12-06, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
You're in the Boston area, aren't you? Were you at the Randolph theater?
I was at the Loews Boston Common. I had a kid behind me that kept kicking my chair. Had to have two discussions with his father before it finally stopped. I had a loud conversation going on behind me in some Scandinavian language and one going on in front of me in some Asian language. And there was really no sense in going to complain, since I could also hear that there were dozens of others going on as well... hell, a kid that was sitting down and to my right was playing some sort of video game for half the film with a big glowing screen.

Every time things seemed to get reasonable again, there was some big action sequence, people would get excited, and start talking again for the next 20 minutes. It was really, really bad. Good film though.

I think people have just gotten way too used to watching films at home. They don't realize/don't care that when you're in public, it's rude to talk, take calls, drape your legs all over the seats, jump up and down, play games, balance your checkbook, etc. during the film.
Old 01-12-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bad parenting. Huge problem in this country for decades, now. Theater antics is only 1 of a million symptoms.

Watching films at my house means I stop the film if they get rowdy or noisy. I mean, kids are always asking questions to learn so I have some allowance for chat, and more than I'd allow at a commercial theater, but I hit Pause as soon as there's too much. If they want to play and talk, we'll do that. If they want to watch a movie, it's time to settle down.
Old 01-13-06, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bboisvert
I thought I was the only person who was surrounded by 20 different 3-hour conversations during KING KONG... guess not.

Yeah, I say bring it on. I used to be an advocate for at least seeing the "epic" films on the big screen. But the theater-going experience has gotten so terrible, it just isn't worth it. Watching Kong in HD on my 46" screen a month later sounds fine to me -- at least I can focus on the film and not the idiots sitting around me. (And my popcorn is better too. )
I had a free ticket for King Kong and I refused to even use it due to the fact that I KNOW I would be around a bunch of people talking.

Bring it on. I'll probably never step into a theater again (unless by some miracle, the theater owners can get everyone to behave, turn off their cell phones, and leave their babies at home).
Old 01-15-06, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is only a plus for us!! No more going to the movies with all those kids talking and throwing stuff during the file. I too had a free ticket to see King Kong and didn't even bother to see what time or day it was playing. I just threw it away today. :')