Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HDTV for Dummies

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HDTV for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by awmurray
The first one (BR or HD-DVD) that supports full resolution (1080p) through component cables will be the one I adopt.

Otherwise, I'll have to wait for the "war" to be over because I'll have to pick up another projector and that's going to cost a bit...

Sounds like Blu-Ray at this point.
Yep that would be BR. At this point it is just a question of how much the two big boys, Sony & Panasonic, plan on charging for their entry level players. Sony's quietness on the PS3, BR Hardware and software prices is somewhat curious though.
Old 01-12-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think, from reading up on different technologies (non exhaustingly, but pretty thoroughly), I'm leaning towards a plasma TV, something like a 50-inch. The only problem I see is the lifespan - 3-5 years, which seems rather wasteful, since my current 27-inch Sony Trinitron is over 15 years old and is perfectly fine. Is this issue being worked on, or is it just not possible to extend the lifespan of these screens? Or do retailers offer some sort of warranty plan? The reason I'm thinking of plasma is that it seems to me to have the best picture, color- and contrast-wise. I've seen some new plasmas with a crazy 8000:1 contrast ratio. I'm a big fan of retina-burning color, so this is a must I still won't budge until an affordable 1080p plasma comes out, though. Or perhaps there are some and I just haven't found them...
Old 01-12-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got a question concerning HDMI. It's my understanding that HDMI carries the digital video and audio signal all in one small cable. The HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player has an HDMI out which connects to your shiny new HDTV.

Now, even if I have an 60 inch widescreen, I'm not going to want my audio coming out of the TV. How does the audio get to my receiver? Are there two HDMI outs? Is there a TOS Link out on the player as well? Does the TV send the audio to my receiver (*shudder*)? I assume they want to copy protect the audio as well as the video which has me a tad worried at the moment.
Old 01-12-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jmj713
I think, from reading up on different technologies (non exhaustingly, but pretty thoroughly), I'm leaning towards a plasma TV, something like a 50-inch. The only problem I see is the lifespan - 3-5 years,
I'm sure Spiky will chime in and tell you this is a myth, but I'm going to beat him to the punch. It's my understanding that you should be able to get 10 years from any current Plasma, if not more.
Old 01-12-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mordred
How does the audio get to my receiver? Are there two HDMI outs? Is there a TOS Link out on the player as well? Does the TV send the audio to my receiver (*shudder*)? I assume they want to copy protect the audio as well as the video which has me a tad worried at the moment.
You would use the HDMI to the tv for video and optical or digital coax to the receiver for audio. Just because the HDMI cable carries audio doesnt mean you have to use it for that.
Old 01-12-06, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You may also be able to go to the receiver which will strip out the audio and then from receiver to monitor on another HDMI cable. They really have not announced how the new audio formats will be handled yet, have they?
Old 01-12-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this was mentioned on one of the dvd talk boards...dlp's are likely to drop to around $1000 by the end of the year. If so, I'll likely get one of those. I just got my first 16:9 hd...Sony 30" CRT. It is a nice starting point. I've been checking on the Panasonics for a while. That may be one I go with, assuming the price does drop.
Old 01-13-06, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mordred
I'm sure Spiky will chime in and tell you this is a myth, but I'm going to beat him to the punch. It's my understanding that you should be able to get 10 years from any current Plasma, if not more.
So true. It's really weird, because I'll probably never own a plasma. They just don't fit into my needs. Yet I defend them all the time.

Here's some math for fun:
Current plasma half-life expectancy is 60000 hours, at least for good models. Half-life is when the brightness gets to half of the original. (you can see a similar rating system on your fluorescent light bulbs) For a TV, you might want to start think about replacing it then, but not necessarily. If you are a crazed TV watcher, say 10 hours a day, every single day, no sick time allowed....that's about sixteen and a half years.

BTW, LCDs are starting to have 60000 hour ratings, too. The flat panels, not PJs.