Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD-DVD on Amazon

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HD-DVD on Amazon

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-06, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
HD-dvd official launch is March 28th.
Old 01-06-06, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FUTURE PROOF?

That's kinda laughable considering that's what we did w/ our current DTS recievers and our vast DVD collections.

At this point, I will totally discount anything as future proofing. They already have a chip that can store 100+GB! That could be 3-5years away.

A 10-year window can't be called future proofing.

Am I mad? oh yeah! I've invested thousands and thousands into my current collection, and most of it will be worth a damn once HD plants itself firmly in the market in 12-14months.
Old 01-06-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bokasmo
Am I mad? oh yeah! I've invested thousands and thousands into my current collection, and most of it will be worth a damn once HD plants itself firmly in the market in 12-14months.
So what's the big deal? We'll be able to enjoy our DVDs for a very, very long time to come and they'll just look better on players that upscale them to a high-def picture.

I'm sure you (like most of us) have some DVDs that don't deserve an upgrade to HD. So, slowly, we'll accumulate HD discs and when the price falls enough maybe replace the standard ones that deserve the upgrade.

I think once we have our collections on HD, we're good until they come out with a holodeck.
Old 01-06-06, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The new format is almost upon us and I still don't have a special edition of The Game (well, not a studio release anyway).

But I'm all for new HD versions of Se7en and Fight Club!
Old 01-07-06, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon HD-dvd store
Old 01-07-06, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not following the HD/Blu-Ray stuff at all..and maybe I'm missing something without reading up on it much...but this is Amazon's description of HD-DVD's ...or at least the technology..

Welcome to HD DVD
HD DVD is coming to Amazon.com. With incredible high-resolution imagery, enhanced surround sound capability, and innovative special features, this exciting new technology will completely change the way you experience movies, video games, and broadcast TV. What does it mean? What will you need to make it happen? What titles will be released first? From the HDTVs to the new HD DVDs, we have what you need to put together your high-definition home entertainment system. To get started, check out the links on this page, and get ready for a whole new definition of entertainment.
How is "enhanced surround sound capability, and innovative special features" any diff than DVDs now? I mean granted they hold more space, so they can definately have many different audio tracks (5.1/DTS/etc)...but innovative special features?...What can they do that they can't do on DVDs now?..Probably just marketing for them..but...if it is...kinda lame to me...
Old 01-07-06, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pilot
I'm not following the HD/Blu-Ray stuff at all..and maybe I'm missing something without reading up on it much...but this is Amazon's description of HD-DVD's ...or at least the technology..

How is "enhanced surround sound capability, and innovative special features" any diff than DVDs now? I mean granted they hold more space, so they can definately have many different audio tracks (5.1/DTS/etc)...but innovative special features?...What can they do that they can't do on DVDs now?..Probably just marketing for them..but...if it is...kinda lame to me...
So far we have only heard or seen a few of the new special features they plan on adding. I'm more interested in movies though. Among the ones I know of:

Interactive menus: (Disney has shown an example "scene selection menu" where Aladdin flys on a carpet through each scene as you choose which one you want.

PIP (Picture in picture ability) No idea how they using this.

Instant actor info on screen during the movie. Sort of like the listings at the IMDB I guess.

Bonus movies on discs that can be unlocked online.

Games: Disney also plans to add video games to 50GB discs.
Old 01-07-06, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
PIP (Picture in picture ability) No idea how they using this.
Could be used for video commentaries or footage from the movie while you're watching behind-the-scenes stuff.
Old 01-07-06, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by pilot
How is "enhanced surround sound capability, and innovative special features" any diff than DVDs now? I mean granted they hold more space, so they can definately have many different audio tracks (5.1/DTS/etc)...
Both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray also have the capability to include new lossless sound formats in addition to standard DD and DTS.

but innovative special features?...What can they do that they can't do on DVDs now?..Probably just marketing for them..but...if it is...kinda lame to me...
Mostly marketing gimmicks. The studios believe that what consumers really want is more convergence between movies and videogames, so they're going to include even more annoying interactive menus and crap than we already have. Imagine not only having to sit through excessively long menu animations to watch a movie, but actually having to play and "beat" a level of a game to change menu pages. That's the sort of thing in store for us.
Old 01-07-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Mostly marketing gimmicks. The studios believe that what consumers really want is more convergence between movies and videogames, so they're going to include even more annoying interactive menus and crap than we already have. Imagine not only having to sit through excessively long menu animations to watch a movie, but actually having to play and "beat" a level of a game to change menu pages. That's the sort of thing in store for us.
WTF are they smoking? Annoying shit like that would actually keep me from buying.
Old 01-07-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Last edited by Maxflier; 01-07-06 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-07-06, 06:22 PM

Judging by your sig, there is something in one of those pictures that must have you very excited...
Old 01-07-06, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Judging by your sig, there is something in one of those pictures that must have you very excited...
Well i'm not a HUGE fan like some, but i will definately wait and pick that one up since i never got around to getting it on DVD.
Old 01-08-06, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What is with the "feet" on the cases?
Old 01-08-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl
What is with the "feet" on the cases?
Well, let's just hope those are prototypes and the "feet" get removed.
I'm not too impressed with the new cases for either format from what i've seen. I wish they would have stuck to regular keepcases and just used a different color instead of making a new style case.
Old 01-08-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maxflier
I'm not too impressed with the new cases for either format from what i've seen. I wish they would have stuck to regular keepcases and just used a different color instead of making a new style case.
Yeah, I'm not happy about that at all. I want them to fit on my shelves with the rest of my DVDs.
Old 01-12-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazon's HD-DVD Store

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/16297241/

Not Blu-ray yet, it seems, but lots of info and stuff.
Old 01-12-06, 11:36 AM
Banned

I hate to say it but there are more HD-DVD titles right now that I want than Blu-Ray. But we'll wait and see.
Old 01-12-06, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just pre-ordered the Toshiba player at BB at the reduced price and now I see Amazon shows two of my all-time favorite titles will be HDDVD: LOTR and Band of Brothers.

How much do they pay for blood donation again? Or maybe a kidney......
Old 01-12-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
Just pre-ordered the Toshiba player at BB at the reduced price and now I see Amazon shows two of my all-time favorite titles will be HDDVD: LOTR and Band of Brothers.

How much do they pay for blood donation again? Or maybe a kidney......
Band of Brothers!