Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Not allowed to embed anymore?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Not allowed to embed anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-16, 04:31 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts
Re: Not allowed to embed anymore?

Looks like HTML code is still OFF in this subforum. In the Video Game forum, it's ON.
That'd be it.
Old 08-05-16, 09:08 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Haven't tried to embed anything yet but I still can't maximize embedded videos in Movie Talk. Until that gets fixed there's no point in trying to watch movie clips here, it's still off to YouTube...
Old 08-06-16, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

The new embedding borders make the clips look like they're ads. I'll stick with the manual way of embedding until that gets sorted.
Old 08-07-16, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
Haven't tried to embed anything yet but I still can't maximize embedded videos in Movie Talk. Until that gets fixed there's no point in trying to watch movie clips here, it's still off to YouTube...
I think it just doesn't work for videos that were posted using the YT tags. Using the regular embed method works, at least for the video I posted in another thread.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The new embedding borders make the clips look like they're ads. I'll stick with the manual way of embedding until that gets sorted.
The one that IBobi posted? I wonder where that YouTube border comes from, I don't see it in other embeds.
Old 08-07-16, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I think it just doesn't work for videos that were posted using the YT tags. Using the regular embed method works, at least for the video I posted in another thread.

The one that IBobi posted? I wonder where that YouTube border comes from, I don't see it in other embeds.
Yeah. I did see a few others on the forum with that same blue border. Looked awful.
Old 08-08-16, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

Here's my testing corpus.

These should embed:

youtube.com/v/z_AbfPXTKms&hl=en_GB&fs=1&

youtube.com/watch?feature=feedrec_grec_index&v=0zM3nApSvMg

Should fail:

youtube.com

youtu.be/d
Old 08-08-16, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by IBobi
Your regex substitution code could use some work. See my above tests, where it misses a few valid URL's, and substitutes an invalid URL.

Also, your embed code is as follows:

Code:
<div style="display: inline;" id="ame_doshow_post_1470696478_1">
<div align="center">
	<table class="tborder" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" width="100%" style="max-width:425px; margin: 10px 0;">
	<thead>
		<tr>
			<td class="tcat" colspan="2" style="text-align:center">
				<a rel="nofollow" href="https://youtu.be/reNbf72qvQw" title="You  Tube" target="_blank">You  Tube</a>
			</td>
		</tr>
	</thead>
	<tbody>
		<tr>
			<td class="panelsurround flex-video" align="center">
				<iframe type="text/html" width="425" height="350" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/reNbf72qvQw?autoplay=0&amp;origin="  frameborder="0"></iframe>
			</td>
		</tr>
	</tbody>
	</table>
</div>
</div>
I recommend the following improvements to make it more functional and aesthetically pleasing:

Code:
<div style="display: inline;" id="ame_doshow_post_1470696478_1">
<div align="center">
	<table class="tborder" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" width="100%" border="0" style="max-width:700px; margin: 10px 0;">
	<thead>
		<tr>
			<td class="tcat" colspan="2" style="text-align:center">
				<a rel="nofollow" href="https://youtu.be/reNbf72qvQw" title="You  Tube" target="_blank">You  Tube</a>
			</td>
		</tr>
	</thead>
	<tbody>
		<tr>
			<td class="panelsurround flex-video">
				<iframe type="text/html" width="700" height="394" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/reNbf72qvQw"  frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
			</td>
		</tr>
	</tbody>
	</table>
</div>
</div>
Here is an explanation of the changes:

"border="0" - because the table border looks awful
"max-width:700px" - because we don't live in 2007
"width="700" height="394" - because we don't live in 2007
The "?autoplay=0&amp;origin=" is redundant/useless.
"allowfullscreen" is self-explanatory
Old 08-12-16, 09:36 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Embeds using the [ YT ] code are broken. Like, fucking terrible.
And now links to youtube create auto-embeds (which are also ugly and terrible) whether we like it or not?

Its great that REAL embed code is working and all, but the above two issues are ruining threads.
Old 08-12-16, 09:48 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jQ_gkYWfTbI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hrm...how I miss imputting that type of stuff being cleanly outputted.
Old 08-12-16, 09:55 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Embeds using the [ YT ] code are broken. Like, fucking terrible.
And now links to youtube create auto-embeds (which are also ugly and terrible) whether we like it or not?

Its great that REAL embed code is working and all, but the above two issues are ruining threads.
Yup... all the [ yt ] embeds aren't working, from what I can tell. So all the videos post that way while waiting for a fix are shit now? Great.

I just tried doing it the old way of just copying the embed code from YT and that worked.
Old 08-12-16, 10:04 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jQ_gkYWfTbI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hrm...how I miss imputting that type of stuff being cleanly outputted.
the embed code doesn't work in this subforum. HTML is OFF for some reason.
Old 08-12-16, 10:06 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
Yup... all the [ yt ] embeds aren't working, from what I can tell. So all the videos post that way while waiting for a fix are shit now? Great.

I just tried doing it the old way of just copying the embed code from YT and that worked.
Yup. We had to use the [ YT ]embeds for months on end because no other option was available, and now ALL of those YT embeds are broken. Nice. I don't recommend anyone go through the last few pages of the Random Video Thread, for example.

Plus, for whatever reason, those broken embeds are also causing the pages to load REALLY slow compared to pages that only have the functioning embed code.
Old 08-12-16, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Embedding is still broken in IE. None of the testing videos above load. Yes, I know IE sucks, but I don't have any other choice on my work PC.

It works in chrome, but it's ugly.
Old 08-12-16, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

So this is completely broken now, yes? New videos posted in threads are just black boxes.

Remember when this wasn't broken and worked perfectly fine every time? Those were the salad days.

EDIT: And now those same videos are showing up with the blue bar at the top. Ok, I guess. Still think the old way worked a lot better.

Last edited by Draven; 08-12-16 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-12-16, 07:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

So we can't use the [yt] thing anymore?
Old 08-12-16, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Google seems to have changed something with the embedded AS3 player. Even though the AS3 player is officially deprecated, DVD Talk is still calling it per the official documentation. It's just not working properly. I found some posts that describe the same thing, but I couldn't find any explanation as to why this was broken by Google:

https://www.reddit.com/r/youtube/com...onger_working/
https://productforums.google.com/for...=forum/youtube

This wouldn't be an issue if any of the technical advice I've suggested in this thread had been followed.
Old 08-16-16, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Perhaps we should have a sticky in each subforum detailing how to properly post videos. Some people are supposedly seeing videos, but I'm not. Sometimes, I just see a black screen with "You" in the bottom right corner.
Old 08-17-16, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the YT bullshit doesn't work anymore. You just get the box with the "You" on the lower right hand corner. When I try to embed directly I don't even see a box.
Old 08-17-16, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Let's say we can remove that blue border from the embeds. Would everyone here agree that that's an improvement?
Old 08-17-16, 11:38 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

My $0.02 CAD:
- Figure out how to fix the [YT ] embeds, or just kill that function entirely. Example:

- Kill the YouTube auto-embed when you simply post a link to YouTube. (This is the only one with the blue border, correct?) If you don't want to kill it, then yes, remove the blue border, make the default video size bigger, then put it to the left. Centering it looks and functions terribly, at least for my eyes. Example (sometimes works... sometimes doesn't...)

- As long as the i-frame embeds work (and right now, they do...), that's all I'd use anyway, as it's the most functional. Don't break this again, please. Example:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b3_lVSrPB6w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

- Turn HTML code ON in this sub-forum. It's the only one where it's disabled, so posting "examples" of i-frame embeds is pointless, as seen above.

- and listen to TheBang; they obviously know what they're talking about.

Last edited by Dan; 08-17-16 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-17-16, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Dan, first of all, thanks for specifying CAD, that made my day. I've brought up the points you made to tech, as well as your input on the code, TheBang. I definitely agree on turning HTML back on in here, since it makes it a lot easier for you guys to show what you're talking about and for us to understand.
Old 08-17-16, 02:59 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

glad to entertain.

Anyway my point, if there is any, is this. There are THREE embedding options here. THREE.

Two of them suck right now, and one works pretty great (except in this subforum, where it's disabled). I appreciate the effort that must have went into auto-embedding all YouTube links (example #2 above, which is totally new and not something that was in this forum ever until the last month or so), but... ehh. It's not good because it's missing basic functions that a proper YouTube embed has.

Example #3 is the best option, because it's not restricted to YouTube.
Example #1 WAS okay only for YouTube until (apparently) google messed it up. So if that can't be fixed using TheBang's code, #3 is still the best option.

edit: and if you DO enable HTML in this subforum, then you can look at my post above in any standard PC web browser and see exactly what each embed looks like today. #3 is the best, and it works! But if #2 remains enabled, then users have no control over whether or not videos get embedded, which isn't good.

edit2: clearly: Kill #2. It was a nice effort, but... #3 works better.
Old 08-24-16, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The embedding with works now.
Old 08-24-16, 08:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tech Test to Improve Video Sizing.

Old 09-01-16, 04:11 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Still terrible, sorry.
- Kill the blue border on top. It's already plainly obvious that it's a YouTube video from the style of the play button, the title of the video, and the share arrow.

- Center alignment is dumb. Stop it. It looks silly on a PC screen because it doesn't line up with the rest of the posts/text. Every other embed and all user text is aligned left by default, as it should be. If a user wants to center align something, there's a button for that in the "Go Advanced" reply menu. It looks fine on mobile, I guess, but that blue border is still ugly as hell. Plus YouTube shouldn't have a space in it. And red makes more sense since it's YouTube's color. But just get rid of it.

- I don't like this whole auto-embedding a video when someone only posts a link. If someone wanted to post an actual video, they'd use the [ YT ] or HTML embed options. But that's just my opinion.

- enable HTML code in this subforum already. It's enabled in every other subforum here.