Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-05-14, 09:39 PM   #1
mhg83
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,419
Bumping Threads

Have noticed in the past week or two there have been a few threads bumped. I don't see a problem with this as long as there's an update. Mods have now been locking these threads. The most recent being:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...ction-day.html

And that bump was relevant to the thread and it gets locked???

So what's the deal here? We haven't had a problem with thread bumps before and most never resulted in a lock.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
Well, they kiss where they think that Jesus was born. They kiss the little catholic cracker. They worship Mary.....
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 09:49 PM   #2
Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Rex Power Colt-Robot Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,516
Re: Bumping Threads

Start new thread, get yelled at for not using search. Bump old thread related to a comment and get moderated. /shrug
__________________
I was a fan of the Bengals through the 90's. I've looked the devil in the eye and laughed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 10:03 PM   #3
The Cow
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 18,050
Re: Bumping Threads

It's mostly the bumping of an old thread without commenting on the bump article.

"Someone" previously liked to start threads without commenting on his/her post and got "mod noted" about it. Now he/she bumps old threads instead and does the same thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 10:21 PM   #4
story
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 5,408
Re: Bumping Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man View Post
Start new thread, get yelled at for not using search. Bump old thread related to a comment and get moderated. /shrug
Exactly! Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
It's mostly the bumping of an old thread without commenting on the bump article.

"Someone" previously liked to start threads without commenting on his/her post and got "mod noted" about it. Now he/she bumps old threads instead and does the same thing.
Oh. Yeah, this, too.

"Both, and..." situation.
__________________
Choose kindness. | PSN / Origin ID: Spatula _ City | Can we rally together to discuss a DVDTalk Charity Fundraiser?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 10:38 PM   #5
covenant
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
covenant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Smyrna TN
Posts: 3,917
Re: Bumping Threads

I'm seeing a trend...
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 10:41 PM   #6
Cardsfan111
DVD Talk Legend
 
Cardsfan111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 13,124
Re: Bumping Threads

I don't have many examples, but I don't think you can say these bumps are relevant. In most cases, it seems as if they're loosely connected at best. The example given in the OP, which was locked, bears that out. A random post about an ebay auction was tacked on to the end of a 2006 thread about another ebay auction. Hardly a reason to resurrect an old thread, in my opinion.
__________________
DVD/BD Spending Tab: 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
Rank 'Em As You See 'Em: 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 10:43 PM   #7
Obi-Wan Jabroni
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Obi-Wan Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 5,400
Re: Bumping Threads

^And it's a pattern with that particular poster, and he was recently warned about it.
__________________
"I doubt anyone would use any of my comments in their signature." - gcribbs

-----
PSN: CactusKind
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 11:01 PM   #8
whotony
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 15,317
Re: Bumping Threads

It's penguin joe.
Is his name unmentionable or something
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-14, 11:48 PM   #9
PhantomStranger
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 7,816
Re: Bumping Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
I don't have many examples, but I don't think you can say these bumps are relevant. In most cases, it seems as if they're loosely connected at best. The example given in the OP, which was locked, bears that out. A random post about an ebay auction was tacked on to the end of a 2006 thread about another ebay auction. Hardly a reason to resurrect an old thread, in my opinion.
+1

It's fun seeing a very old thread getting bumped once in a blue moon, but it becomes tedious when it happens on a weekly basis.

Though to be honest, this entire site isn't a hotbed of fast-paced discussion at the moment, lessening the crime. It would have been a more serious problem during DVDTalk's halcyon days.
__________________
Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (current through July 30, 2014)

4000 Blu-rays ranked for absolute video quality.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 07:13 AM   #10
Pharoh
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Sad day in Ohio
Posts: 23,383
Re: Bumping Threads

Since I locked the thread, I will comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man View Post
Start new thread, get yelled at for not using search. Bump old thread related to a comment and get moderated. /shrug
Can you point to a recent mod comment, in the Other section of the forum at least, where a poster was "yelled" at for not searching and using an existing thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
I don't have many examples, but I don't think you can say these bumps are relevant. In most cases, it seems as if they're loosely connected at best. The example given in the OP, which was locked, bears that out. A random post about an ebay auction was tacked on to the end of a 2006 thread about another ebay auction. Hardly a reason to resurrect an old thread, in my opinion.
Exactly. These bumps are "related" in name only. The topics are very different in actuality, and are very well deserving of their own threads. And it should be pointed out, that I did split off a few of these unrelated bumped threads into their own threads, but I am not going to keep doing that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
+1

It's fun seeing a very old thread getting bumped once in a blue moon, but it becomes tedious when it happens on a weekly basis.

Though to be honest, this entire site isn't a hotbed of fast-paced discussion at the moment, lessening the crime. It would have been a more serious problem during DVDTalk's halcyon days.
It is more than tedious, it is annoying and doesn't necessarily foster discussion, at least on the intended subject of the bump. Start a new thread and comment on it. Discussion.

Also, since the forum isn't a hotbed of activity, we could use the new threads, comments, and discussion. If it really is the same topic, such as the update on the Amanda Knox case for example, bump it. Otherwise, start a new thread.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 07:22 AM   #11
kd5
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
kd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 4,822
Re: Bumping Threads

I've never understood the outrage at not searching for some old thread from 10 or 15 years ago and bumping it just to add a like comment or issue. When I'm reading through the forums and see a relevant thread I'd like to read thinking it's current then finding out the thread was originally from 2004, it gets frustrating. I can see how an individual who's been around for that long might get a charge out of seeing an old topic get bumped for the nostalgia factor, but it gets tedious when you forget to look at the date of the thread to find out it's not actually current, except for maybe the bumping post, which oftentimes isn't even relevant. So why the outrage at not searching for some antiquated POS thread to bump whenever you want to start a new thread about something? Just so the forum doesn't get overrun with threads? Wowsa...
__________________
Time is the fire in which we burn. (Soran)

My DVD/BD Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 07:44 AM   #12
Pharoh
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Sad day in Ohio
Posts: 23,383
Re: Bumping Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
I've never understood the outrage at not searching for some old thread from 10 or 15 years ago and bumping it just to add a like comment or issue. When I'm reading through the forums and see a relevant thread I'd like to read thinking it's current then finding out the thread was originally from 2004, it gets frustrating. I can see how an individual who's been around for that long might get a charge out of seeing an old topic get bumped for the nostalgia factor, but it gets tedious when you forget to look at the date of the thread to find out it's not actually current, except for maybe the bumping post, which oftentimes isn't even relevant. So why the outrage at not searching for some antiquated POS thread to bump whenever you want to start a new thread about something? Just so the forum doesn't get overrun with threads? Wowsa...

Agreed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 08:05 AM   #13
wishbone
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 15,902
Re: Bumping Threads

The converse in this discussion is that he created a Florida Behaving Badly thread and then creates new threads for "Florida man arrested for having sex with pit bull in yard", "FL Woman performs C-section on dog, closes incision with glue (guess the state...FL!)", "Pregnant Florida woman goes on crack binge chews off umbilical cord", and "Florida woman arrested for killing animals in animal torture videos."
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Though this is a great thread, if we don't shut down every thread where Penguinjoe posts a story and no comment, then he won't learn nothin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinJoe View Post
I like to plant seeds and watch them grow.
DVD Talk's Johnny Appleseed he is not.
__________________
"Wishbone is spelled with an E not a 3..... *Be gone*" - Minor Threat
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 09:17 AM   #14
RoyalTea
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 13,949
Re: Bumping Threads

I wonder if he really does come back to watch his seeds grow. If he did, he'd probably notice the # of threads he starts or bumps that get locked and might understand that he probably shouldn't continue doing the same thing over and over and over.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 10:01 AM   #15
TomOpus
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 25,973
Re: Bumping Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
I wonder if he really does come back to watch his seeds grow. If he did, he'd probably notice the # of threads he starts or bumps that get locked and might understand that he probably shouldn't continue doing the same thing over and over and over.
He probably notices but why should he change? He gets all these mod warnings but no action is taken other than closing an already old thread.
__________________
"Pear Pimples for Hairy Fishnuts!"

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 02:58 PM   #16
Mike86
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,737
Re: Bumping Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man View Post
Start new thread, get yelled at for not using search. Bump old thread related to a comment and get moderated. /shrug
Yep. Frankly I agree with this. Sometimes if I know I've seen a topic before and it's from a long time ago and I'd like to discuss it I'll bump a thread just because. It's either that or get some of the uppity members bitching at you for not using the search function so whatever.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 04:45 PM   #17
OldBoy
Inane Thread Master
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 22,555
Re: Bumping Threads

that's 2 down!
__________________
"stranger than fiction" Movie collection
"Even though I am no better than a beast, don't I have the right to live?"
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 05:20 PM   #18
TomOpus
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 25,973
Re: Bumping Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
He probably notices but why should he change? He gets all these mod warnings but no action is taken other than closing an already old thread.
I now stand corrected.
__________________
"Pear Pimples for Hairy Fishnuts!"

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 05:21 PM   #19
Norm de Plume
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Norm de Plume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,700
Re: Bumping Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Agreed.
x2
__________________
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter"
-Winston Churchill

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least."
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 05:39 PM   #20
Shannon Nutt
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 12,282
Re: Bumping Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man View Post
Start new thread, get yelled at for not using search. Bump old thread related to a comment and get moderated. /shrug
Yep...I saw all the locks and was wondering, "Are they locking them because people are bumping old threads?" I, too, thought that was the preferred method. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't around here.
__________________
http://www.highdefdigest.com/author/shannon-t-nutt.html
XBox Live Gamertag: PittsburghNutt
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 05:58 PM   #21
Groucho
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 66,686
Re: Bumping Threads

-- Starting a new thread when there is already a thread on the front page: no-no
-- Bumping a 10 year old thread to add a tangentially related comment: no-no

Basic rule of thumb: use common sense.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 07:14 PM   #22
Supermallet
Time Lord
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 46,261
Re: Bumping Threads

Also 90% of the "you should have done a search!" comments come from other members, not the moderators.

I think we can agree that Penguin Joe was not fostering discussion regardless of whether he was starting new threads or bumping old ones.
__________________
"You already knew this, Mallet, but you're obviously a better man than I (expect this to be quoted in a sig). " -creekdipper
Watch me squawk on Twitter: @Supermallet
Check out my vinyl collection!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 07:27 PM   #23
Groucho
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 66,686
Re: Bumping Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Also 90% of the "you should have done a search!" comments come from other members, not the moderators.
True. I generally just do a merge.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-14, 07:40 AM   #24
auto
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East of Ypsi
Posts: 7,949
Re: Bumping Threads

I kind of like reading the old threads he would bump but obviously I'm in the minority in that it never really bothered me.
__________________
Check out my Vinyl Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-14, 08:54 AM   #25
Trevor
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: somewhere shopping
Posts: 24,188
Re: Bumping Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto View Post
I kind of like reading the old threads he would bump but obviously I'm in the minority in that it never really bothered me.
Yep, as long as it was even remotely related I much prefer thread bumps than new threads. But then, I like living in the past.....
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.

Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.