Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Cannot send or receive emails through DVDTalk

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-14, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thread title says it all. Trying to figure out if there is a problem with the email forwarding through DVDTalk. It's only related to emails and not private messages. Whenever I have tried to send emails to anyone over the past couple of days they never reach the intended destination. I'm not sure if it is a isolated incidence with my account, or if it is a more widespread issue on the forum. Would appreciate an answer or any help. Thanks!
Old 04-11-14, 07:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: Cannot send or receive emails through DVDTalk

Sent you and another user one to test.
Old 04-11-14, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks! I will keep an eye out for it. At least I'm receiving email notifications for threads and PMs.

I did get one test email this afternoon from another forum member in the B&N coupon thread that took about 4 hours. I sent 2 to myself earlier today and still never received them over 6 hours later.
Old 04-11-14, 09:54 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

I just sent myself a test and received it immediately. I sent one to you as well Laser. Let me know if you get it.
Old 04-11-14, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by VinVega
I just sent myself a test and received it immediately. I sent one to you as well Laser. Let me know if you get it.
Received your email, but so far nothing from Trevor. Yours arrived about the same time as your post in this thread.

I'll send test emails to both you and Trevor and see if you get them. The past couple of days I've had problems with emails sent through DVDTalk when I tried to send extra B&N coupons to forum members that wanted them. I prefer using PMs, but not everyone has enough posts to enable the PM function on the forum.
Old 04-12-14, 06:55 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Laser Movies
Received your email, but so far nothing from Trevor. Yours arrived about the same time as your post in this thread.

I'll send test emails to both you and Trevor and see if you get them. The past couple of days I've had problems with emails sent through DVDTalk when I tried to send extra B&N coupons to forum members that wanted them. I prefer using PMs, but not everyone has enough posts to enable the PM function on the forum.
I haven't received anything.

Stupid questions, please forgive me for mentioning it, but there is an option checkbox for only receiving emails from mods and admins, right? Any chance this got accidentally checked Laser?
Old 04-12-14, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
I haven't received anything.

Stupid questions, please forgive me for mentioning it, but there is an option checkbox for only receiving emails from mods and admins, right? Any chance this got accidentally checked Laser?
Still have not received your email. I have also checked my spam folder before I delete any junk mail just in case anything ends up there.

I looked at my email settings and found all 3 boxes are checked. It says I can receive emails from Administrators, other forum members, and friendship requests from other members. With all boxes checked I would assume it means anyone should be able to send me emails through the forum. I don't know if that is the default setting? I have not changed any of the user settings recently, and most options are probably set to whatever is the default.
Old 04-12-14, 12:30 PM
Admin

I didn't get your email Laser. Let me look at your account settings...
Old 04-12-14, 12:42 PM
Admin

Just looking at your account Laser it doesn't look like anything is out of the ordinary. Let me see if Adam Tyner knows more about what could cause this. After that we'll probably have to kick it up to the IB techies.
Old 04-12-14, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by VinVega
Just looking at your account Laser it doesn't look like anything is out of the ordinary. Let me see if Adam Tyner knows more about what could cause this. After that we'll probably have to kick it up to the IB techies.
Thanks! Seems the problem is worse on my end trying to send emails. I don't think a single email I have tried to send through my account ever made it to where I was intending it to go. Even trying to send 3 different emails to myself! However I have been able to receive a few that were sent to me from other people. Still no sign of Trevor's email. Maybe he is having the same problem?
Old 04-13-14, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I don't think it's anything systemic because DVD Talk uses the same method of sending out emails for everything, and I'm still getting 'report this post to a moderator' emails and the like. I just received a test I sent to myself as well. What I don't know how to test is if it's only working a certain percentage of the time.

A lot of spam filters are smart enough to recognize when an email is autogenerated like the 'skeleton' of DVD Talk's emails are. That, coupled with a Yahoo return address, could be triggering your emails to be sent straight to Junk Mail (or maybe even rejected by people's email servers before they could even make it to Junk Mail).
Old 04-13-14, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I don't think it's anything systemic because DVD Talk uses the same method of sending out emails for everything, and I'm still getting 'report this post to a moderator' emails and the like. I just received a test I sent to myself as well. What I don't know how to test is if it's only working a certain percentage of the time.

A lot of spam filters are smart enough to recognize when an email is autogenerated like the 'skeleton' of DVD Talk's emails are. That, coupled with a Yahoo return address, could be triggering your emails to be sent straight to Junk Mail (or maybe even rejected by people's email servers before they could even make it to Junk Mail).
I think I just confirmed it's related to my email account at Yahoo. I just changed it over to my gmail email address and did another test to myself. What do you know the email showed up instantly. So whatever is going on must be related to the Yahoo account. I've sent about 10 emails over the last few days through DVDtalk and don't think one ever made to anyone's inbox or spam folder. I will send some more test emails to see if anyone here receives them after the email switch.
Old 04-13-14, 05:19 PM
Admin

If it's yahoo that is the cause, that is really bizarre. I did receive a test email from you today Laser, so I think your change did fix your issue. My email address is gmail for this site and I have not seen a problem in a while.
Old 04-13-14, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought DVDTalk was the problem, it never occurred to me it was actually related to Yahoo. So far it looks like 3 out of 4 test emails went through after the switch. Adam Tyner also confirmed receiving the email. That's definitely a big improvement.

This is also the last straw with Yahoo and I will no longer use their email. I finally had it with all the glitches and security problems. I had to change my password 3 times in under 6 months because of security breeches. Also I'm having email issues on another web site I now believe is related to Yahoo. I changed my email address on the other web site to see if that fixes the problem.