Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Should A Moderator Be Allowed to Completely Change Thread Titles?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Should A Moderator Be Allowed to Completely Change Thread Titles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-14, 04:11 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts
Re: Should A Moderator Be Allowed to Completely Change Thread Titles?

The changing of thread titles in the other forum for comedic effect has been a tradition there for as long as I can remember. Since Politics/Religion is sort of the bastard child of the other forum the tradition naturally flowed into that forum as well.

From my experience most of the thread title changes were innocent enough and generally were well received by the posting community. If the majority of the community is now against this tradition then we might want to rethink it. If only a handful of people don't like it, I don't see a need for a change to the traditional practice.

I don't want posters to feel like the mods are ruling with an iron fist either. My advice to an OP would be if a mod changes your thread title and you're still active in the thread and want it changed back, I would PM the mod. If the mod refuses, PM an admin. We will discuss the need/merits of the name change and either change it back or leave it, letting you know why. Sorry I haven't seen this feedback thread, I've been on the road a lot this week.
Old 01-21-14, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't care that mods can change titles for comedic effect...hell, some of us have had our usernames changed for a laugh (TaranTebow, anyone?), but it's all in jest.

I do, however, think that topic creators should absolutely be able to change their thread titles, and I'm definitely confused as to why we cannot. Seems like it would be less work for mods when say, a movie's title changes from Hummingbird to Redemption, if the original topic creator could jump in and fix it themselves.
Old 01-21-14, 08:44 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I do, however, think that topic creators should absolutely be able to change their thread titles
I would be in favor of this, if the forum software allows it.
Old 01-21-14, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually side with dvdjunkie on this one. It would also help us search for threads when we need to look up something that we were called out on and we need to find a rebuttal. Like if someone consistently, and rather foolishly, said I would never agree with a Christian on anything, it would help me scroll through the threads and find specific posts as a rebuttal.
Old 01-21-14, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

I do, however, think that topic creators should absolutely be able to change their thread titles
Originally Posted by Groucho
I would be in favor of this, if the forum software allows it.
I've never tried to edit a thread title, so I'm assuming you can't do so at all. I'd be in favor of allowing creators to have this option, but only for a short time, to allow for someone to make a simple correction to spelling/grammar that's often noticed shortly after hitting the "submit" button. Giving folks free reign to edit thread titles seems like it could open the door to other problems.
Old 01-21-14, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I think it's perfectly fine because it gave everybody a good laugh.

There is no real controversy here.
Old 01-21-14, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I've never tried to edit a thread title, so I'm assuming you can't do so at all. I'd be in favor of allowing creators to have this option, but only for a short time, to allow for someone to make a simple correction to spelling/grammar that's often noticed shortly after hitting the "submit" button. Giving folks free reign to edit thread titles seems like it could open the door to other problems.
I disagree. On a different forum I visit, people frequently change titles to update the post status...sometimes adding an updated release date, etc. Makes it more helpful.
Old 01-21-14, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

I disagree. On a different forum I visit, people frequently change titles to update the post status...sometimes adding an updated release date, etc. Makes it more helpful.
I understand that. And those are good examples of helpful changes. I just don't think everyone in the forum would be responsible with the thread title updates.
Old 01-21-14, 07:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would be incredibly disappointed if the mods were told to stop changing thread titles for humorous effect. Sometimes the changed thread title is the only reason I even bother to read a thread, to see what prompted the change. In the case of that particular thread, it had long gone so far off course that there was virtually no discussion of Duck Dynasty at all.
Old 01-22-14, 07:49 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I would trust very few people here to be responsible with the ability to edit thread titles. Allow it for the first couple minutes for typos maybe, which I think is already the function actually.
Old 01-22-14, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if the board software allows for this, but it would be nice if a user could change a thread title themselves, but the thread title change wouldn't go through unless approved by a mod/admin.
Old 01-22-14, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
I don't know if the board software allows for this, but it would be nice if a user could change a thread title themselves, but the thread title change wouldn't go through unless approved by a mod/admin.
That would be pretty cool, but probably a lot of work for the mods.
Old 01-22-14, 09:49 AM

About as much work as the current system (OP reports a post, and the mods change it).
Old 01-22-14, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
I would trust very few people here to be responsible with the ability to edit thread titles. Allow it for the first couple minutes for typos maybe, which I think is already the function actually.
What kind of anarchy do you see happening? OMG they can change thread titles now, RUN

I just don't see every thread title changing to, "WHOEVER POSTS IN THIS THREAD IS GAY LOLOLOL".
Old 01-22-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

About as much work as the current system (OP reports a post, and the mods change it).
I suppose, I just assume more people would do it then the number that actually bother reporting a post to a mod to change.
Old 01-22-14, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I can see how mods changing a thread title can be troublesome, especially for people who use the same screen name across many sites and/or emails. Say an employer is Googling the name, they would have no idea those words are not attributable to you.
Old 01-22-14, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
I can see how mods changing a thread title can be troublesome, especially for people who use the same screen name across many sites and/or emails. Say an employer is Googling the name, they would have no idea those words are not attributable to you.
I hadn't considered that, but that is troublesome.
Old 01-23-14, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh, please, it's not like the mods would change "need help with my car" to "where to buy meth in Seattle". I'd be more troubled by an employer googling for dirt on me than thread title changes.

OP, did you try reporting the thread title change with the yellow icon on the left? I'm sure the mods would have quickly changed it back if you asked.
Old 01-23-14, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
That makes sense to me.
Old 01-23-14, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ranger
Oh, please, it's not like the mods would change "need help with my car" to "where to buy meth in Seattle". I'd be more troubled by an employer googling for dirt on me than thread title changes.
Honestly, that sort of thing is pretty typical now.

Seems like if someone doesn't like their thread title changed, they should PM a mod/admin to change it back and be done with it.
Old 01-23-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Honestly, that sort of thing is pretty typical now.

Seems like if someone doesn't like their thread title changed, they should PM a mod/admin to change it back and be done with it.
Although if users could change their own thread titles, we wouldn't have to worry about it.
Old 01-24-14, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

What kind of anarchy do you see happening? OMG they can change thread titles now, RUN

I just don't see every thread title changing to, "WHOEVER POSTS IN THIS THREAD IS GAY LOLOLOL".

Oh come on. It would be funny for about one minute...
Old 01-24-14, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Although if users could change their own thread titles, we wouldn't have to worry about it.
Sort of, although it would be kind of lame if a user has to change their own thread title back to normal.
Old 01-24-14, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Most thread title changes keep the intent of the thread somewhat obvious, like changing a single word that makes it funny. In this case, the anonymous mod who changed it changed a political thread title (where no fixing is allowed BTW) to "Game of Thrones Discussion Thread" and got rid of what it originally said. It would have been more appropriate for the anonymous mod to have intervened and said "Enough with the GoT talk, take it to TV talk".
Old 01-24-14, 02:18 PM

Anonymous Mod is a real jackass.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.