Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

New Moderator SOP regarding Suspensions/Bannings/etc

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

New Moderator SOP regarding Suspensions/Bannings/etc

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-13, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: New Moderator SOP regarding Suspensions/Bannings/etc

In response to benedict's question above:

One read through of the Man of Steel review thread will demonstrate that there are one or two individuals who do nothing but childishly berate and attack anyone with a differing opinion than them. And they do so, ADMITTEDLY, within the confines of the existing rules just so they don't get banned. They are completely breaking the spirit of the rules, but not the letter, so they go unpunished. I know one mod here who has had enough, but can't or hasn't done anything about it. That kind of shit makes me not want to hang out here, and actually has kept me from posting here much lately.

Last edited by Numanoid; 07-10-13 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-10-13, 05:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
In response to benedict's question above:

One read through of the Man of Steel review thread will demonstrate that there are one or two individuals who do nothing but childishly berate and attack anyone with a differing opinion than them. And they do so, ADMITTEDLY, within the confines of the existing rules just so they don't get banned. They are completely breaking the spirit of the rules, but not the letter, so they go unpunished. I know one mod here who has had enough, but can't or hasn't done anything about it. That kind of shit makes me not want to hang out here, and actually has kept me from posting here much lately.
Thank you for that feedback, Numanoid; have you used the Report Post button, and/or brought this to the attention of the mods?
Old 07-10-13, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Can you please add another o to your name so we can call you IBoobi?
Old 07-10-13, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Music
Can you please add another o to your name so we can call you IBoobi?
Damn -- the name change amnesty period was two weeks ago
Old 07-10-13, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IBobi
Thank you for that feedback, Numanoid; have you used the Report Post button, and/or brought this to the attention of the mods?
Taking up Numanoid's point; the issue is, as he said, with one or two posters (it's glaringly obvious in the Man of Steel threads). And using the Report Post button, even if one was inclined to do so, isn't without its own problems. Would we have to report every single problematic post by those individuals? That could end up overwhelming the mods.
Old 07-10-13, 06:38 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

If you don't want to report a bunch of posts, PM a mod of your choice. They will either make an official post to try to reign in the poster in question, and or start a conversation among the other mods for feedback on further action if necessary.
Old 07-11-13, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When a mod is actively posting in the thread and making comments about the individual's behavior, it seems unnecessary to have to report the posts. But, as I said, they were being very cautious to not make any direct personal attacks, even though they really were, in essence. Literally anyone that posted anything less than a positive review in that thread was berated and implied to be an idiot. Time after time after time.

Are there no repercussions for creating a toxic atmosphere or generally being a jerk? Seems like now the pendulum is swinging the other way and the mods don't want to take any action so as not to seem heavy-handed. That kind of thinking has its own problems. There needs to be some balance.

Just venting. Thanks for listening. That thread just pissed me off because quite a few of us were willing to have a great conversation about the movie and a couple of bozos completely shut down any intelligent debate.
Old 06-27-14, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

I still think there should be a thread that shows the actions of the mods towards members. Locked and no one can post or reply, but informs members of what happened to the suspended or banned members. I visit another large forum that does this, and it's great since you can see when the action took place, and what the sentence was, and for how long.

Basically three lines:

Member: Chrisedge
Reason: Repeated personal attacks and arguing with members despite multiple warnings from moderators.

This would go a long way in transparency and let others know what they should avoid doing.
Old 06-27-14, 01:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
I still think there should be a thread that shows the actions of the mods towards members. Locked and no one can post or reply, but informs members of what happened to the suspended or banned members. I visit another large forum that does this, and it's great since you can see when the action took place, and what the sentence was, and for how long.

Basically three lines:

Reason: Repeated personal attacks and arguing with members despite multiple warnings from moderators.

This would go a long way in transparency and let others know what they should avoid doing.
I agree, but the fear would be that the info would find it's way into other threads.
Old 06-30-14, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
I agree, but the fear would be that the info would find it's way into other threads.
I think people might link to it, or possibly explain a banned/suspended member's absence with it, but I don't think people would discuss it anymore than they discuss it now. Plus it might even be discussed less since their is a place to look and see what happened. (No more hinting at banned members disappearance, etc...)
Old 06-30-14, 10:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm fine w/ it.
Old 06-30-14, 07:21 PM

At this point, I think we're a year out from the last uproar about "unexplained mod actions" and wanting so-called "transparency"? We have a new set of moderator policies in place and things seem to be going really well and everyone's being treated fairly and with equanimity. Of course, those who are actually disciplined will never agree...

If there's a compelling reason to change years of established "we don't talk about other members' disciplinary actions in public" policy, then we can discuss, but I have not seen that reason yet. Quieting a few wheels that always want to squeak about one thing or another isn't a good enough driver for this kind of change, in my opinion.
Old 05-21-19, 08:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dave-o
I think I've made my feelings pretty clear already. But I'll give this example again. When Minor Threat was suspended, it happened out in the open for all to see. It was absolutely ridiculous and an obvious abuse of authority by an admin who doesn't like being questioned. I find it hard to believe that other moderators or admins couldn't see how inappropriate this use of power was. But not one single admin or mod spoke out and did anything about it. Not one single mod or admin has even admitted what the actual problem is. Yet, you expect us to believe that this won't happen again. Why?

Nothing in the new rules will prevent this, if mods and admins are unable to stand up to the admin who is running around with his own personal ban hammer (and I have no idea why this is, fear, respect, something else?). If they were unable to stand up for what is right before, and unwilling to even admit to the problem, what will be different now? You have to recognize what the problem is before you can fix it. Anything else is just window dressing and blowing smoke up our ashes. Just my 2 cents on this whole ordeal.

At this point I'll stop repeating myself, as it's obvious nothing will be done and I don't want to continue wasting my time and your time. I will say this though, thank you for at least being the only admin who is willing to dialogue with us about these issues.
Interesting read there. I've got a certain mod/admin stalking me now. I've been on this site for 12 goddarn years, and I've always posted the same way. I don't give a fork if people like certain words or not. I don't have a history of attacking anyone. I just bench and moan in my own way. If the rest of the staff agreed on censoring, the words would be filtered automatically by the board's censors. I know you have those, cause there are a couple words being censored. Instead, this clown is editing every post in the most childish ways I've ever seen rather than basic asterisks. The stupid son of bench even edited the word "glash." It's GLASH you stupid fork! Oh, noes. It has "ash" in it. Is this guy retarded!?!? And the sloppy POS turns off my goddarn signature every time he does it. In the Game of Thrones Finale topic, he literally ignored TWO other people's comments that included "bad" words and only edited mine.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 05-21-19 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Welcome! Everything is fine. You're in the Good Place.
Old 05-22-19, 09:23 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Old 05-23-19, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

First thing I thought of.
Old 05-23-19, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

What in tarnation...?
Old 02-15-21, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had to quote myself from 2014. I think with a lot of the bannings of late, since they seem to be more of a political divide, I think this would go a long way. I am liberal, but it seems that there is a lot of conservatives getting banned, and I think there should be more than "You can't talk about past members" if there is no official (moderator) announcement regarding a ban. When people get banned, I go to their recent posts, but often that leads to no answer. Just wiping people out, isn't really fair in my mind, unless it's new member-bot-spammer that doesn't need an explanation. But a member that has been here and is known? There should be an announcment.

Other websites do this. I stole this from a music site I belong to.

Originally Posted by Chrisedge

Basically three lines:

The following 4 users liked this post by Chrisedge:
Dan (02-16-21), emanon (04-08-21), Kurt D (02-15-21), Norm de Plume (02-18-21)
Old 02-15-21, 08:25 PM

Received 1,915 Likes on 1,129 Posts

I think that's probably worth looking into and thinking about. I'll offer that when someone is banned that even if it's listed how or why, I'm personally not interested in a huge community back-and-forth about it. Banning do not come lightly and there is a lot of discussion before a member's actions bring on that consequence.

That said, exactly zero people are banned - or warned or suspended - for their politics, period. The way people express their politics or ideologies or philosophies in ways that violate the rules, though, that's what brings about moderation action. Yep, that happens all the time. I don't have a snappy answer about which end of the political spectrum is more prone to behave this way or that way because I don't really track that.
Old 02-15-21, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by story
I think that's probably worth looking into and thinking about. I'll offer that when someone is banned that even if it's listed how or why, I'm personally not interested in a huge community back-and-forth about it. Banning do not come lightly and there is a lot of discussion before a member's actions bring on that consequence.

That said, exactly zero people are banned - or warned or suspended - for their politics, period. The way people express their politics or ideologies or philosophies in ways that violate the rules, though, that's what brings about moderation action. Yep, that happens all the time. I don't have a snappy answer about which end of the political spectrum is more prone to behave this way or that way because I don't really track that.
I 100% agree with you that it’s not their politics. I just see more of “them” banned, and I have argued for transparency for a while. Have a locked thread here that one could refer to.
Old 02-16-21, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I think a "banned/suspension" thread where people can't comment would be a welcome addition. We can see people are banned or suspended under their usernames already so it's not about embarrassing anyone or calling them out. And I think if we're saying this is a community, that community should know what happened to get someone kicked out of the community.
Old 02-17-21, 01:36 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I visit another large forum that does this, and it's great since you can see when the action took place, and what the sentence was, and for how long.

Basically three lines:

I very much agree with this and don't have much else to add. Aside from your typical spammers, this would help the community understand the reasons for mod action on long-time members, but also helps to show if/when people are regularly catching suspensions for behavior, or if they're caught running multiple accounts. That said, I also respect that this is extra work for people doing this job for free... So maybe only do it if the community rightly asks what happened? That's a good starting point.
Honestly, I didn't even know who was recently banned, because I was sure it might have been someone else who espoused similar rhetoric about calling for harm on others.​​​​​
Old 02-18-21, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dan
Honestly, I didn't even know who was recently banned, because I was sure it might have been someone else who espoused similar rhetoric about calling for harm on others.​​​​​
That is the issue. I know the person that was banned, I know their past behavior but if their offending posts were removed, we have zero way of knowing what happened. And I don't remember this person being one that was suspended repeatedly, so seeing them banned (as opposed to suspended), raises even more questions about what they did to deserve it.

Old 02-18-21, 12:34 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

How do you block a member again?
Old 02-21-21, 03:07 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
How do you block a member again?
anybody?
Old 02-21-21, 03:55 PM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Ignore List
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (02-22-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.