Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Mobile version

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-15, 05:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Mobile version

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Still no movement on the WP8 front?
None in the foreseeable future.
Old 05-05-15, 04:06 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The problems with WP8 is Microsoft's fault. Their mobile browser doesn't conform to the standards that any other mobile browser does, one of the many issues Microsoft is correcting in WP10.
Old 05-05-15, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Yeah, all of these issues should be cleared up by late summer..........I hope.
Old 05-05-15, 09:32 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

W10 for phones will not be out at the same time as W10 for PCs and "big" tablets.
Reports I've read have just said that it's on a slower timeline than that, so I would guess end of the year, if we're lucky.

Regardless, the "temporary" solution would be to write code that basically says, "Using IE on WP8? Here, just use the full site instead." because right now, on any WP8 phone, it's now impossible to use the full site. Those of us who have used it, have tried everything, but the site keeps pushing the mobile version.

And for what it's worth, I've had zero issues with any other forums with "mobile" versions. NeoGAF (I know...) works PERFECTLY on WP8, so whatever.
Old 05-05-15, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dan
W10 for phones will not be out at the same time as W10 for PCs and "big" tablets.
Reports I've read have just said that it's on a slower timeline than that, so I would guess end of the year, if we're lucky.

Regardless, the "temporary" solution would be to write code that basically says, "Using IE on WP8? Here, just use the full site instead." because right now, on any WP8 phone, it's now impossible to use the full site. Those of us who have used it, have tried everything, but the site keeps pushing the mobile version.

And for what it's worth, I've had zero issues with any other forums with "mobile" versions. NeoGAF (I know...) works PERFECTLY on WP8, so whatever.
Working on just such a thing. I wish I had more traction on it, but W phones are a small enough sliver of the marketplace that it's hard to justify.

More likely as soon as we have the user CP selection to Never Go To Mobile, that will do it.
Old 05-05-15, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Yes, but users will need to log in every time for that option to take effect. And would the login form work?

What's wrong with my suggestion to create a dedicated URL for the full site? Please be as technical as necessary, as I've done a bit of web development myself.
Old 05-06-15, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by thetao
^^ Yes, but users will need to log in every time for that option to take effect. And would the login form work?

What's wrong with my suggestion to create a dedicated URL for the full site? Please be as technical as necessary, as I've done a bit of web development myself.
Detection of device type is at the server level. The server would just send you to mobile anyway once it saw what device you were using.
Old 05-06-15, 08:32 PM

The "View Full Site" link works by creating a persistent cookie

mobile_redirect = false

which is good for a week. Create a full_site_only.php page that sets this cookie with PHP instead of Javascript and then redirects to forum.dvdtalk.com or whatever. I expect the mobile site is such a pain for Windows Phone users because it's choking on the Javascript. This would conveniently work around that problem and also provide a URL for all to bookmark. Bet you could bang it out in 20 minutes.

BTW, I just set up spoofing in Firefox and see how the mobile site is supposed to render. My HTML and Javascript skills are rusty, but I may have other ideas as I figure out why it doesn't look quite right in the Symbian browser.
Old 05-14-15, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Got a WP8 update yesterday. The 'view full site" button works now! Yea back to browsing normally.
Old 05-15-15, 03:58 PM

Glad to hear it, although it's far from a ringing endorsement when the best thing you can say about the mobile interface is that you can turn it off.

I'm still interested in a non-Javascript method for forcing the full site. To any site administrator(s) reading this, I will do the work for free (and tidy up some other things) if I can use you as a potential resume reference.
Old 05-18-15, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 91 Posts

I assume the Lumia Denim update includes the fix (so to speak)? No love for the 820 yet.
Old 05-18-15, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Got a WP8 update yesterday. The 'view full site" button works now! Yea back to browsing normally.
Not working for the Lumia 1520 - site loads as full but the fourm section is still the same (even after hitting the view full site button) my phone is updated as well.

EDIT: Wait, did another cache cleanse and the desktop version for the forum section is now displaying properly, slower than dog s*** though.
Old 05-21-15, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Slow > mobile version
Old 06-11-15, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

I sure would like it if the view full site button worked on my note 4
Old 08-11-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm using the mobile site now with android 5.1 with chrome and one annoying issue is that I have to log in quite often. I'll often go to post, get the login prompt, then get it again when I go to submit the post several minutes letter (because typing on mobile takes forever). And when I login the second time my post doesn't post. If I'm lucky I remember to back up and copy paste it into a new post.

Last edited by wmansir; 08-11-15 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-12-15, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by wmansir
I'm using the mobile site now with android 5.1 with chrome and one annoying issue is that I have to log in quite often. I'll often go to post, get the login prompt, then get it again when I go to submit the post several minutes letter (because typing on mobile takes forever). And when I login the second time my post doesn't post. If I'm lucky I remember to back up and copy paste it into a new post.
Click "remember me" when you sign in.
Old 08-13-15, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is no remember me on the mobile login page. I'll try logging in to the full site and seeing if that works. Also, like I said, this is happening between the time it takes to start a post and submit it within the same browser session, so the login cookie should not expire that quickly.
Old 08-13-15, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by wmansir
There is no remember me on the mobile login page. I'll try logging in to the full site and seeing if that works. Also, like I said, this is happening between the time it takes to start a post and submit it within the same browser session, so the login cookie should not expire that quickly.
I see your point, but that does depend on how long it takes you to write a post
Old 08-13-15, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Logging in through the full site with remember me checked seems to have done the trick.
Old 08-22-15, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

I must have the alzheimer's version.
Old 08-23-15, 12:14 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

Does anyone have auto playing ads redirecting you off the site? I had it happen to me on my Android and an iOS device as well. The Android redirect was a little worrisome because it sent me to scareware sites ("Your device has been compromised by a virus, download this to fix" type sites).
Old 08-23-15, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I thought it was some other issue... But I've had the scareware issue...
Old 08-24-15, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega
Does anyone have auto playing ads redirecting you off the site? I had it happen to me on my Android and an iOS device as well. The Android redirect was a little worrisome because it sent me to scareware sites ("Your device has been compromised by a virus, download this to fix" type sites).
If possible can you screen cap it before you get redirected? We need to see the ads on the page in order to tell what's causing it.
Old 08-24-15, 04:35 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by IBobi
If possible can you screen cap it before you get redirected? We need to see the ads on the page in order to tell what's causing it.
This is what I get on my LG G2. Spoilerized for size:

Spoiler:

No other websites that I visit on my phone cause these messages. I don't think my phone has a virus on it. This is scareware in my opinion.
Old 09-03-15, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Is anyone besides me having issues with the mobile site? I'm using Safari for iPhone and recently when I come to the website I repeatedly get a message saying "an error has caused this page to reload" and can't get to anything.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.