Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Mod Request: Name Change

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Mod Request: Name Change

Old 05-05-12, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 234 Posts
Re: Mod Request: Name Change

That chibul character seemed like a decent guy. I wish he'd come back to the forum.
Old 05-05-12, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This name change request seems way more legit than the time I quit smoking weed for, like, 3 months and switched over to what I've got now (which I don't really like).
Old 05-05-12, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
That chibul character seemed like a decent guy. I wish he'd come back to the forum.
He's trying!
Old 05-05-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
This name change request seems way more legit than the time I quit smoking weed for, like, 3 months and switched over to what I've got now (which I don't really like).
Thanks...I appreciate that. X stated that my request "doesn't meet our criteria". A search of the forum only provided this post, which states that the criteria for members above 1,000 posts is simply that they're considered on a case-by-case basis, as well as Benedict's post in that very thread, which states that changes have been made for people above 1,000 posts "in line with said rules". So I'm not really sure how my request doesn't meet the criteria of "we'll consider on a case-by-case basis".

All I'm asking for is consideration on what is a very sensitive area for me. This is not me attempting to troll, or be a negative poster, or cause a chain reaction, or really anything of the sort.
Old 05-05-12, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm guessing you pissed in X's Wheaties last time you requested a name change.

Nobody knows who abrg923 is any way. Give the poor guy a break. Maybe chibul will be more fun.
Old 05-05-12, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I was going to say no offense man but I don't think many (if any) people here would know if you changed your name.
Old 05-05-12, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

As someone who has been divorced, and can't stand even the thought or mention of that demon from Hell, I say let him make the change.
Old 05-06-12, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Hmm...I both use my real name and am a former DVD Talk reviewer...mabye I qualify. However, I don't care if people know who I am in real life.

I'm guessing they don't do it because it's easier not to make any exceptions than it is to constantly get those "well, you did it for "x", why can't you do it in my case..." requests all the time.
Old 05-06-12, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Ditto here. Of course I know that "Quite a bit of modding and administration necessarily is done behind the scenes", and I know that modding isn't done by popular vote, but this seems like a reasonable request with a reasonable justification. Additionally, his current handle isn't exactly a 'name' or word that flows off the tongue or (to me) is easily referenced mentally, so the concern of the 'board personality' might not be as relevant. To most people, other than him, his name is an almost random set of letters and numbers. He is not a number, he is a free man!

Out of curiousity, how many name change requests occur monthly/yearly, both for sub-1000-post accounts and 1000+ post accounts? Is it that prevalent? Is the membership here simply an amorphous horde of constantly changing usernames?
Old 05-06-12, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 234 Posts

A creative solution could be to have Jules start up a thread, "Why is abrg923 so stupid?" That's been proven to be an effective method in getting someone's name changed.
Old 05-06-12, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mcfly
Yeah, I was going to say no offense man but I don't think many (if any) people here would know if you changed your name.
None taken. I know some people from the VG forum but outside of that I haven't spent a lot of time in Otter...plus I took about two years away from the forum.

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Hmm...I both use my real name and am a former DVD Talk reviewer...mabye I qualify. However, I don't care if people know who I am in real life.

I'm guessing they don't do it because it's easier not to make any exceptions than it is to constantly get those "well, you did it for "x", why can't you do it in my case..." requests all the time.
They do make some exceptions though...KillerCannibal being one. I just want the nods to at least discuss it...based on X's initial response I don't feel that occurred.
Old 05-06-12, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good lord, this is silly. Is there any way to just voluntarily close the unwanted account so he can use chibul since then it wouldn't be "multiple" accounts? Or just ban arbrg923 and let him use chibul.

I feel for you, man, I went through something similar about 4 years ago and my ex's initials were in my passwords. Those were something I typed a lot so it took a lot to unlearn them
Old 05-07-12, 01:21 PM
Admin

Received 465 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by abrg923
They do make some exceptions though...KillerCannibal being one. I just want the nods to at least discuss it...based on X's initial response I don't feel that occurred.
Calling us the nods isn't going to help.

Old 05-07-12, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got kicked in the nods once. True story.
Old 05-08-12, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How about arbg923FOREVER ?
Old 05-08-12, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Good lord, this is silly. Is there any way to just voluntarily close the unwanted account so he can use chibul since then it wouldn't be "multiple" accounts? Or just ban arbrg923 and let him use chibul.
God forbid they give into this request. Then maybe someone else will want a name change. And another. Then it would get to the point where the admins actually have to "admin"! That's practically work!
Old 05-08-12, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet he wishes he never got that tattoo on his weiner.
Old 05-08-12, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,453 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Username is like a tattoo... choose wisely and don't use anything that's part of a relationship
Just you wait -- someday Berke Breathed will join the Nazi party and give that penguin different politics.

You'll be stuck with that fascist username and the tattoo.
Old 05-08-12, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

What a coincidence, I want to change my name to abrg923. I hooked up with this chick who said it meant something to her once.
Old 05-08-12, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 572 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242

I feel for you, man, I went through something similar about 4 years ago and my ex's initials were in my passwords. Those were something I typed a lot so it took a lot to unlearn them
this seems like the easy solution. but actually they should just ban you for having multiple open accounts. after all, if they make exceptions for you just because it was years ago, next thing you know cats will be sleeping with dogs.
Old 05-09-12, 03:00 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My recollection is that the reasons for limiting name changes have been explained elsewhere and that the rules tend to be applied fairly.

If mods/admins wanted to make things easier it'd be a cinch to just say that your screen name here is forerever i.e. can't ever be adjusted whatever the reason and no matter what your posting history.

Anyhoo, it remains the case that cases falling outside the general rules are considered individually and, as that is happening, I'll now close this thread before it morphs into something less than useful.
Old 05-10-12, 02:51 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a reminder that such requests should normally be submitted via email/PM.

The OP realised this part way through the process hence dropping out of the thread until we'd all put our heads together.

As the more astute among you will see, all has now been resolved to our mutual satisfaction.