Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Regarding the closure of the animated GIF thread

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-11, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

I certainly understand the concern over the images that led to the closure, especially in light of the more strict rules put in place (or enforced) a few months back, but I have to wonder if closing the thread was really the best strategy.

Why not simply remove the offending images and send warnings to those posters in question (or post a very stern warning in the thread)? The thread existed for almost 11 months and 45 pages.

The problem now is that no one will know if it is even safe to open a new one.
Old 03-27-11, 11:45 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Regarding the closure of the animated GIF thread

As I recall after the problems with all the previous image threads we instituted a zero tolerance policy. It was simply getting too difficult trying to deal with individuals not abiding by our stated rules.

The closed thread might have run up against that policy and as such wouldn't be subject to reopening yet again by simply posting a very stern warning in the thread against the type of posts that we've warned against for years.

One has to wonder... How many times to you need to hit yourself in the head to figure out that it hurts?
Old 03-29-11, 11:10 AM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

The thread had also gotten rather large in size and probably would have been closed for length anyway.

Obviously there are the rules put in place by the ownership of the website, but aside from that you have to ask yourself before you post an image, "Would this be something I wouldn't mind my boss seeing if he/she passed by and glanced at my screen?" That's one of the general guidelines we consider when deciding what to do with a particular image or a particular thread.
Old 03-29-11, 11:45 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

My boss flies into a rage if he sees a picture of Obama.
Old 03-29-11, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
My boss flies into a rage if he sees a picture of Obama.
You just got Utah'd
Old 03-29-11, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VinVega
Obviously there are the rules put in place by the ownership of the website, but aside from that you have to ask yourself before you post an image, "Would this be something I wouldn't mind my boss seeing if he/she passed by and glanced at my screen?" That's one of the general guidelines we consider when deciding what to do with a particular image or a particular thread.
The ass on every page is OK though? Some of the DVD covers are worse than anything I've seen in an image thread.

Old 03-30-11, 02:19 AM
Mod Emeritus

Terrorists win if you conflate advertising policy with enforcement of the forum rules

Amazon covers have been draggged into such discussions before and an official response given way back when.
Originally Posted by GeoffK
I'll restate our policy as it seems like a good time to restate it.

Any DVD which is sent to us and is sold via amazon we will absolutely review and pull the cover art from Amazon to display on the site. If you have issue with a cover or title and do not feel it should be sold in a mainstream store, then you really should email amazon with your complaint. We do not have a 'standards and practices' team looking at every cover that goes up, we assume that on a site which is considered safe for work, they would not display any images or content that they considered offensive.

If you have an issue with this policy. Please contact our lead at Internet Brands [email protected]. As they are the owners of the site and ultimately set or modify policy here.

In terms of adult content, any and all adult content on this site was completely spun off to <a href="http://www.xcritic.com">XCritic.com</a>. And DVD Talk now in no way profits, sells or promotes adult content.

<a href="http://www.xcritic.com">XCritic.com</a> however does
I presume that the policy is the same for any advertiser i.e. not just Amazon although it is also true that IB have been willing to pull the occasional ad that is drawn to their attention.
Old 03-30-11, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

That's just a really long way of saying, "they pay for their image so fuck you." Let's not act like that policy makes any sense.
Old 03-30-11, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It is interesting that a post in a thread no one will ever see except regulars degrades the "brand" but posting a DVD with a giant ass (and this DVD is mild) on every page does not.
Old 03-30-11, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

That ass doesn't look so giant. It's posts like that the reinforce negative body images for women!
Old 03-31-11, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Giant as in it's the central focus of the cover.