Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Sub-forum for Challenges?

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Sub-forum for Challenges?

Old 03-20-10, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: Sub-forum for Challenges?

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I would say your post is a great argument for keeping the challenges in their parent forums. People will undoubtedly stumble onto them if they're mixed in with other threads. Whereas, if you keep them tucked away in a subforum, only people that only know about them will venture in (for the most part).
I'm in favor of a Challenges Sub-forum, and I'll tell you why. Once the challenge has ended, they really serve no purpose in the parent forum. A sub-forum for archival purposes would be convenient for those of us who are interested in them.

As for not attracting attention, or not being cared about by the community at large, I think getting their own sub-forum might actually help attract attention for them. Think of it this way: If you're dead set on ignoring them, then it's just one link to overlook every time you browse. As it stands, we can have several challenge threads running simultaneously--a discussion thread for the current challenge, a list thread for the current challenge, and often a discussion thread planning the next challenge.

There's really no harm in moving these to their own sub-forum, and even people who remain willfully uninterested in them benefit by not having to encounter them in the parent forums any longer. But, you know, it's not my site.
Old 03-20-10, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been on reading on here almost 11 years, and I have never heard of a "Challenge".

Sheltered!!!
Old 10-28-10, 12:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's say it's October and the popular Horror Challenge is underway. You click on the Challenge subforum link and see the usual list of threads. It might look something like this:

Sticky: Rules for the Horror Challenge
Sticky: General discussion of the Horror Challenge
Sticky: Schedule of upcoming challenges
Horror Challenge: Trevor's list
Horror Challenge: Shack's list
Horror Challenge: Chad's list
31 Films Subset: Oct 1: From Beyond (1986)
Horror Challenge: Nume's list
Theme Nights: Oct 1: Bloody Tea & Crumpets
Horror Challenge: JOE29's list
. etc

So you click on somebody's list and the first post would be that person's list of movies for the challenge. Comments and discussion would follow in replies. Other threads would discuss individual movies in the subset and theme nights (or they could be stickies). There would also be a sticky thread for the general discussion among participants. Popular topics would naturally gravitate to the top, while unpopular topics and abandoned lists (always many) would fall to the bottom. You could always bump your list with a post if you think it is being ignored. Anyway, that's the general way I have envisioned a subforum. It might need a link from the "DVDTalk" forum (sticky) to encourage participation and make sure it is advertised.
Old 10-28-10, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I think a Challenges sub-forum is still an interesting idea, but I would suggest only concluded threads be moved to it. That way, the active challenges stay in the DVD forum where they make the most sense, and the concluded ones would be in one place instead of scattered through either the back pages or the Archive. Why should they be treated differently once they're old? Because repeat participants like to access previous years's lists, and this would make it pretty convenient to do so. It doesn't even have to be a separate forum; it could be a sub-forum of the Archive to still achieve this.
Old 10-28-10, 10:22 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I think a Challenges sub-forum is still an interesting idea, but I would suggest only concluded threads be moved to it. That way, the active challenges stay in the DVD forum where they make the most sense, and the concluded ones would be in one place instead of scattered through either the back pages or the Archive. Why should they be treated differently once they're old? Because repeat participants like to access previous years's lists, and this would make it pretty convenient to do so. It doesn't even have to be a separate forum; it could be a sub-forum of the Archive to still achieve this.
That's a good idea! Although, in the mean time or in case it doesn't happen, it's sort of the purpose of the Challenge Compendium thread. I'm a few links behind, but, in theory, every Challenge thread ever made is grouped in the first few posts of that thread, conveniently accessible in my sig.
Old 10-29-10, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Also it would be great if posts in said sub forum had different rules such as allowing more than 25 pictures.
Old 11-01-10, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I would support it if included contests and games (such as sheep and title games).
Old 11-01-10, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
I would support it if included contests and games (such as sheep and title games).
Several of these challenges now have sponsors who have contributed items to giveaway. For the just completed horror challenge, there were a couple of trivia contests for DVDs and several more will be given away via random drawing in the next week or two.

Edit: I just read your comment again--maybe you mean you'd support a sub forum if it included those extra things? If that's what you meant, ignore my comment.