Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

How Many DVD's Do You Own: Annoying As Hell Version

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-09, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are 5 topics on the front page with these subjects. After the first three, I thought they might just fizzle out, and then people started either trying to be funny (Miley Cyrus), or compare their most collected actress (Drew Barrymore) or actor against everyone else.

Hopefully someone else agrees. Maybe I just felt like venting.

= J
Old 02-19-09, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: How Many DVD's Do You Own: Annoying As Hell Version

I agree. It's a pretty lame trend that's been bumping threads that are actually useful down to the second page. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing it come to an end. If it has to continue, maybe merge them all into one thread.

Last edited by EdTheRipper; 02-19-09 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-19-09, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People still visit the regular DVD forum? Wow.
Old 02-19-09, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mopower
People still visit the regular DVD forum? Wow.
I like to go there and complain when something is being released on DVD, but not Blu-ray.
Old 02-19-09, 09:34 AM
Banned

Agree 100%. It was lame the first time and it will continue to spawn more shitty threads unless someone stops them. Again, this is why we need some posting etiquette rules so that newbies don't come in and start flooding the forum with shitty threads like this.
Old 02-19-09, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Seriously. Most of us have links in our sigs right to our collection that gives a current count.

Unless someone is offering me their entire collection for free, I really couldn't care less how many DVDs that person owns.
Old 02-19-09, 11:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed. It is a useless waste of thread space (and I consider myself to be the ANTI-thread-nazi).
Old 02-19-09, 11:28 AM

Make a sub forum.
Old 02-19-09, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Just tell them that Lucas is double dipping on the Star Wars Saga. That will keep them distracted long enough that they'll forget all about the "how many DVD's do you own" threads.
Old 02-19-09, 12:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to say I don't see much use for them either, however since they are started by different people and a variety of people respond there's really nothing about them yet that breaks any of the official or unofficial rules of DVDtalk. So as I see it there are a few options...

- If people don't post they will eventually fall off the front page and be forgotten about

- We make these threads "illegal", although that stifles a conversation people obviously want to have

- We see about setting up a "collections" sub-forum which would contain the threads that are geared more towards DVD collections than individual DVDs. So this would contain the annual purchases thread (not the weekly one), the threads about storage and tracking, these "how many" type threads, etc...

- ??? I'm open to suggestions/ideas

TIA
Old 02-19-09, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i don't care what happens i just think they're pointless and would like to see them gone.
Old 02-19-09, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sub forum tucked away somewhere would work. Preferably before we get the inevitable, How Many DVDs Do You Own: Snapper Case Edition
Old 02-19-09, 01:12 PM
Banned

Send it to the sub-forum then.
Old 02-19-09, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

lol...I'm glad I saw this thread. I was wondering where all of these "How Many..." threads came from. I was starting to think they were a common thing and I had just been fortunate enough to miss them in the past.

Well, I guess I won't start these threads then:

"How Many DVD's Do You Own: Blank DVD-R Version"
or
"How Many DVD's Do You Own: Snuff Film Version"

Last edited by dino88; 02-19-09 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-19-09, 05:23 PM

I agree with what appears to be the public opinion in this thread. Get rid of them or at the very least make a sub-forum for topics like this.
Old 02-19-09, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

I'd agree to a sub-forum.

The only one I participated in what the Dick Miller version.... only because he's not one of those BIG-NAME actors and a cool guy.
Old 02-19-09, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These pretzels are making me thirsty?
Old 02-19-09, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

Get rid of them - or at least remove from the main page. Personally I also find them to be a waste of space - even though I replied to the Brad Pitt one!
Old 02-19-09, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Serenity NOW!
Old 02-19-09, 07:47 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
i will delete all my posts in them, i just wanted to see the absurdity of all them together.
I already did. And playing games like that is a good way to get suspended. That goes for people creating threads like that just to be annoying.
Old 02-19-09, 07:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by X
I already did. And playing games like that is a good way to get suspended. That goes for people creating threads like that just to be annoying.
sorry X. i was just gonna delete them.

Last edited by OldBoy; 02-19-09 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-19-09, 08:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by X
Well, then establish some rules and guidelines instead of slapping the wrist of members here or closing threads discussing the same issues of newbies posting shitty threads all over DVDTalk. I've been saying for a long time that the administrators, moderators and owners of the site should stop expecting that all DVDTalk members, new and old, know what the unwritten rules are in the forum. As long as you keep the rules secret, people here are going to post shitty threads and ask questions later. Crappy threads like this could be prevented if you had any kind written rules in the Feedback area where you could allude too anytime a member gets out of line or is posting something that may be annoying to the majority of the users of the site. Almost every other forum on the Internet have rules about posting. If not, the forum turns to an IMDB board part II.
Old 02-19-09, 08:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dx23
Well, then establish some rules and guidelines instead of slapping the wrist of members here or closing threads discussing the same issues of newbies posting shitty threads all over DVDTalk. I've been saying for a long time that the administrators, moderators and owners of the site should stop expecting that all DVDTalk members, new and old, know what the unwritten rules are in the forum. As long as you keep the rules secret, people here are going to post shitty threads and ask questions later. Crappy threads like this could be prevented if you had any kind written rules in the Feedback area where you could allude too anytime a member gets out of line or is posting something that may be annoying to the majority of the users of the site. Almost every other forum on the Internet have rules about posting. If not, the forum turns to an IMDB board part II.
What he said. ^
Old 02-19-09, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I just don't get what the big deal really is. I mean, there are a ton of threads that don't interest me. I know they don't interest me because the titles tell me what they're about. Consequently, I don't read or post in those threads. Obviously, these "How many" threads are popular at least with some segment of the membership, or they wouldn't keep showing up and members wouldn't still be responding to them with their lists. They may be united by the common theme, but I am not convinced there is a justification for excluding them because some members dislike them.

Where does that logic end? These threads are intended simply as a means of celebrating fandom and connecting with other fans and collectors--the very essence of this forum. Do we start regulating what kinds of fandom are allowed? Do we really need 25% of all posts to be about how George Lucas ruined Star Wars and how over-rated The Dark Knight is? Probably not, but no one is calling for a ban on those. And while I've outgrown my interest in those subjects, I would also defend their continuation.

What it comes down to is that people don't know how to simply not post to a thread they've read. If you don't want them to keep getting bumped then quit posting to the threads about how much you hate them. After the handful of members who do enjoy participating have done so, they'll quietly drift into the ether.
Old 02-19-09, 08:39 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by X
I noticed mine went poof. Not shocked, but why not lock all the current ones with a reason why instead of letting them stay open so others sprout in their place? One "own" thread a week is one thing, but there are a handful right now by different posters.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.