Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

IE7 crashing... forum related?

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Old 03-03-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm thinking it might have to do with a banner here but I'm not sure, since the browser crashes before I can see anything. It happens occasionally when going through threads in the various forums.

I'm not experiencing any crashes so far on other sites that I browse.

Anyone else having this issue?
Old 03-03-07, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could be the video ad for The Departed. Does it happen on the front page of the site as well?
Old 03-03-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I rebooted and thought I had fixed it, but just crashed again. It is not the departed ad, I see that one fine right now.

I'll try refreshing the home page to see if it crashes there.

Yup. Home page crashes too, and it is likely ad related since the whole page showed up minus the horizontal ad when the crash occurred.

It looks like the departed ad is the only horizontal ad in the cycle at the top of the home page, so I'm not sure that's it. I'm trying to figure out if it only crashes when I have tabs open or not. Crashing is fairly easy if i just open the other forum in 5-6 tabs at once. Usually it's just your standard browser crash but occasionally I am getting a "Visual C++ Runtime Error" when it crashes.

Ads that I see correctly in the forum so far are:

Departed
Prestige
HD-DVD Dragons
HD-DVD Twisters
Journey to the End of the Night
Shinobi
Johnny Carson

I haven't duplicated it yet without tabs so it might be related to the way I browse by opening 5-6 threads into tabs before reading them. Perhaps there is an ad that doesn't like being opened in more than one instance, or conflicting ads of some kind perhaps. Or maybe I'm wrong about it being ad related altogether. If nobody else is complaining yet, don't worry about it. I can mess around with it more tomorrow to see if I can pinpoint it.

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 03-03-07 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-09-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Not having current flash and/or shockwave can crash computers easily these days--it used to be that the stuff just wouldn't run, now (since macromedia was bought out) it causes browsers and whole systems to freeze or spontaneously reboot. Happens all over our office complex where the IT person has disallowed grabbing the latest plug-ins for common web ads.
Old 03-10-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not having any problems the past few days. It could have been an ad that is no longer running, or something funky on my system. But it's all good now.