Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Passion of the Christ release??

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Passion of the Christ release??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I smell fix....

Old 08-23-04, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
You know who's responsible for astroturf? That's right: the same people who left Passion of the Christ off of the coming-soon list!!
Old 08-23-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To those doubters, here's a question: What's other movies that made over 100 million have been omitted from the "What are you buying this Tuesday" threads?

My guess: there are no other movies.

If you can find one, I'll be more inclined to think it was an accident.
Old 08-23-04, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fox is not servicing this title to online press. Our comming soon list is tied to our review database. So if it's not coming for review, it isn't going to be listed on our site.

If you have issues with it not being on our list, please address them with fox who has decided not to send final product of this DVD to online outlets.
Old 08-23-04, 07:28 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wait... you mean there was ANOTHER explanation that the conspiracy theorists didn't account for?!

P.S. Geoff, you need to make sure that you erase this thread... it was started way back in May by Mao, one of our very own moderators! If someone were to search for "passion" in the main forum, they'd find it in seconds! For someone that's intentionally against this movie, you really dropped the ball here.

P.P.S. Black Helicoper #4 has been dispatched to take care of Mao. He'll be having a little "accident" later on tonight.
Old 08-23-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Ummm, you're forgetting the "tin foil hats"! They're the only known jamming device for those helicopters.
Old 08-23-04, 09:13 PM

I just thought that it was an odd occurance.

When seeing that the film was not on the list, I remembered Geoff's review of the film and jumped to conclusions.

I apologize if I offended anyone, that was not my intention.

Will you guys be reviewing it at all?
Old 08-23-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jesus is coming! Look busy.
Old 08-23-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Will you guys be reviewing it at all?
I would most certainly like a review of the adventures of this Jesus fellow. I have never heard of him or his whacky zanny adventures. So hearing what they are all about and how it turned out would be something I would be interested in .
Old 08-24-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I hear he dies at the end.
Old 08-24-04, 06:26 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
<--- As a nun this issue is very close to my heart. I fucking want that fucking movie on the fucking release list!
Old 08-24-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Bandonun
<--- As a nun this issue is very close to my heart. I fucking want that fucking movie on the fucking release list!
Fuckin' A!
Old 08-24-04, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
I hear he dies at the end.
Well, you heard wrong.

Spoiler:
At the end, he lives.
Old 08-25-04, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Just aslong as he hangs around for a bit. Cause I wouldn't want him leaving before like the third day or anything.
Old 08-25-04, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by gkleinman
Fox is not servicing this title to online press. Our comming soon list is tied to our review database. So if it's not coming for review, it isn't going to be listed on our site.
So you only promote the release of DVDs which will be given to you free-of-charge for review? Is that what you're saying?
Old 08-26-04, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

He's saying is that for those who scratch his back in doing his job as a dvd rewviewing site, he scratches theirs.

Besides like he said, the site's coming soon section is based off those that come in. makes sense and doesn't sound like he is playing favorites.
Old 08-26-04, 10:40 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Numanoid
So you only promote the release of DVDs which will be given to you free-of-charge for review? Is that what you're saying?
Nope.

We cover the DVDs which studios are servicing press with. We promote the DVDs which we think people are interested in. Two very different things.

Don't make it sound like anything more than it is. We're an online magazine, and act like a magazine... You don't see Maxium/Stuff/Blender/Etc covering the DVD release either do ya?
Old 08-26-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally posted by Numanoid
Although Geoff already correctly said "no", looking at the review database should provide a clear, unambiguous answer to that question. There are more titles on that list each week than there are corresponding reviews.
Old 08-26-04, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by gkleinman
Nope.

We cover the DVDs which studios are servicing press with. We promote the DVDs which we think people are interested in. Two very different things.

Don't make it sound like anything more than it is. We're an online magazine, and act like a magazine... You don't see Maxium/Stuff/Blender/Etc covering the DVD release either do ya?
Yes, you are a magazine, but you specialize in DVDs whereas those that you mention do not.

I think we just found it odd that a major release was not on the release list. We are unfamiliar with your site structure (at least I am).

When I make a list of things that I want to buy, I use your list as a guide. When I heard that TPOTC was coming out, I found it odd that I had not added it to my 'buy' list. It just seemed odd to me.

Now, I know that I need to use a different list since yours is not comprehensive.
Old 08-26-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are two ways a DVD ends up getting reviewed here: Either (1) a screener is sent by the distributor to Geoff who then sends it to a reviewer (or reviews it himself) or (2) a reviewer buys the DVD on their own for their own collection and then decides to write a review and post it.

In this case it seems that a reviewer will have to buy a copy to review it. There's a good chance that that'll never happen.
Old 08-26-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally posted by RockStrongo
Now, I know that I need to use a different list since yours is not comprehensive.
How many comprehensive lists are online?

If I'm counting correctly, Movie Poop Shoot lists 51 releases for this week, and ComingSoon.net lists 55. DVD Talk lists 61. Amazon has close to 300, although they include price drops in that number.
Old 08-26-04, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by Adam Tyner
How many comprehensive lists are online?

If I'm counting correctly, Movie Poop Shoot lists 51 releases for this week, and ComingSoon.net lists 55. DVD Talk lists 61. Amazon has close to 300, although they include price drops in that number.
Thats a good question. Who knows what those other sites criteria is for making the list?

My problem with DVDtalk is that it sounds like they could exclude some major releases if they arent available for review. I am sure the TPOTC is not the first or last.

I guess its not a big issue, but it just seems like major releases should be added once they are announced by a studio.

If I find another list, I will post it.

BTW - dvdpricesearch.com has a good one and it has 183 on their list for 8/31 release.
Old 08-26-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FWIW, it's rare for a major and even most minor releases to be excluded from DVD review the way POTC is. It's more common in theatrical release when a movie is a turkey (like Alien Vs Predator). In my 4 years writing reviews here i can't recall any other major releases that were shuffled past the review process like this. Pretty weird.
Old 08-26-04, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Gil Jawetz
FWIW, it's rare for a major and even most minor releases to be excluded from DVD review the way POTC is. It's more common in theatrical release when a movie is a turkey (like Alien Vs Predator). In my 4 years writing reviews here i can't recall any other major releases that were shuffled past the review process like this. Pretty weird.
Hmm...thats odd I guess. Maybe FOX is trying to avoid bad reviews based on the subject. Who knows though!?!

It will probably be a big seller whether critics review it badly or not though. Oh well, I guess we shall see.
Old 08-26-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's especially weird because so many people have already seen it. It seems like it's either a paranoid mel gibson conspiracy thing or the discs won't be ready until the last possible second.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.