Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Nobody's going all "Martha Stewart" on you.

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-03, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long Version:

The now locked thread in Other by accessories4sale regarding stocks was one of the most interesting discussions I've read all year. I was actually learning some things rather than glancing through another argument over politics or ten million uses of the word "shit" just because "oh my goodness mommy isn't here and Geoff lets us say it now!"

It seems like paranoia is setting in or something. I really enjoy the stock discussions that sometimes take place on the forum, as I'm sure many others do. There are some smart folks on this board when it comes to such things and they are often kind enough to join in a discussion to help others get their feet wet.

I hope whatever "new rules" are put into place they don't entirely ban discussing stocks. I think things were far from approaching "insider trading."

Anyhoo, I know other members who feel the same way, so I just figured I'd be the voice for us in leaving this feedback.

Short Version:

Please let us discuss stocks to SOME extent.
Old 10-19-03, 12:48 AM
Registered

Here's the macro issue: There are pretty extensive rules about financial disclosure in regaurds to stock trading and forums can get into deep shit when used as platforms for stock trades and advice. If someone says something negative about a stock for the purpouse of trying to effect the stock price it could be considered liable and the parties involved could get sued. (there is more than one case out there where this has happened),

Additionally, this is a forum where people don't have to really go through any verification other than that they have a valid email address, and in about 5 mins someone can set one up. So there's just no telling what the source of advice is and if it's being used in ways which could get people in trouble.

I don't think we're being paranoid, just being safe. Whenever possiable we do what we can to protect the interests of our members and at the same time create an enviroment so people don't have to worry that what they post might come back to haunt them.
Old 10-19-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well at least we've got HSX.

Originally posted by gkleinman
we do what we can to protect the interests of our members and at the same time create an enviroment so people don't have to worry that what they post might come back to haunt them.
I understand this... like how PETA is gonna come after kvrdave at some point.