Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Moving threads from Other to Mature

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-02, 01:59 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Well, I just clicked on a thread in "Other" only to suddenly be staring at a pair of boobies in a banner ad. Apparently, it had been moved to "Mature" right before I clicked on it.

Perhaps rather than moving questionable threads to "Mature" they could be simply closed with a note from a mod? Or closed and copied? That way if somebody in a non-mature forum clicks on it they aren't suddenly someplace they had no intention of being?
Old 07-24-02, 03:35 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting. We try to be sure to move threads to Mature without a redirect so there is no link left in Other. But if we move a thread before someone refreshes the list of topics in Other, the topic will appear as if it is still in Other.

You're right, we probably should find a better way to do this.
Old 07-25-02, 10:03 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I tried an experiment. Instead of moving a thread to Mature, I tried to copy it there. It turns out that the copy function is really a "Move thread to a different forum and create a copy of the thread in its old forum" function. So you would have the same situation with a copied thread as a moved one. Until you refresh the topic list, the thread title would link to the original thread that is now in Mature. Once you refresh the topic list, the thread title would take you to the new copy that was left in Other.

Either way there will be that tiny window where you could end up in a thread in Mature.
Old 07-25-02, 01:09 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I imagine this is a pretty rare occurence.

1. There's probably not much of a window of opportunity for it to happen.

2. If a thread is getting moved to mature, it's likely fairly obvious that it should be in mature in the title, so people that don't want to go to the mature forum could easily avoid clicking these types of threads and avoid the risk of ending up in mature.

But there's always an exception, but it seems pretty unavoidable.

Maybe the mods could just delete the post in other, and repost it themselves in Mature? But that wouldn't work for posts that had already be replied to, and would be a pain for them to do anyway.
Old 07-25-02, 01:15 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
1. There's probably not much of a window of opportunity for it to happen.
You're right, in fact I'll bet this NEVER happens to me again. But if it does happen to somebody else in a work/school/wife-in-room situation, somebody could get in a lot of trouble.
2. If a thread is getting moved to mature, it's likely fairly obvious that it should be in mature in the title, so people that don't want to go to the mature forum could easily avoid clicking these types of threads and avoid the risk of ending up in mature.
Not every topic is that obvious. Like the thread I clicked on was called "It moved" (or something to that effect). Now that I think about it I can imagine what the topic was about ...but since it was sitting in Other the alternate meaning didn't even occur to me.

Because of the risqué advertising in Mature, perhaps there should be a zero tolerance policy? Simply close any mature threads in Other, with the invitation to the poster to put it up again in Mature if they so desire.
Old 07-25-02, 02:13 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sounds like a good idea. Just close the thread without moving it, and tell them to post it in mature.

I'd go so far as warning them, and even suspending them if they keep posting mature stuff in other. Likely they just didn't know better, and won't make the mistake again. But some people just like to troll and break rules.
Old 07-29-02, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
That sounds like a good idea. Just close the thread without moving it, and tell them to post it in mature.

I'd go so far as warning them, and even suspending them if they keep posting mature stuff in other. Likely they just didn't know better, and won't make the mistake again. But some people just like to troll and break rules.
Except I have seen stuff moved to Mature that was either a) not mature to begin with, but the discussion became mature; or b) was questionably mature (but presumably--and probably correctly--the mods would rather err on the side of putting stuff in mature if it is questionable). So, most of these are not rule breakers, and for many of these, the thread doesn't deserve to be closed entirely.