Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Two things

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-22, 06:58 AM
Cool New Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Two things

1, Why can I not see any YouTube videos? I see people posting YouTube videos, but I don't see the YouTube videos. All I see are big blank white spaces.

And 2, any chance the forum software could get an upgrade? I'm sure the place looked really cool in 1999, but it could do with a bit of a paint job imo.
Old 09-29-22, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Re: Two things

14 posts and joined in 2020 and already telling us how to modernize our house. Get off my lawn, kid.

*View grabs one of his 30 cats and lobs it towards the new guy*

PS: Seriously, though, welcome. Dublin is one my favourite places I've ever travelled.
The following users liked this post:
Benoit Blanc (09-29-22)
Old 09-29-22, 07:48 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
welcome.
Thanks.
Old 09-29-22, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit Blanc
1, Why can I not see any YouTube videos? I see people posting YouTube videos, but I don't see the YouTube videos. All I see are big blank white spaces.

And 2, any chance the forum software could get an upgrade? I'm sure the place looked really cool in 1999, but it could do with a bit of a paint job imo.
As an EU resident, you'll have to accept the "Sale of my personal data" cookies (to do so, click on "Manage My Preferences" at the very bottom right of the screen). This is because YouTube/Facebook/Twitter/Instagram do not fall under "our" content and are non-essential, so they go under that cookie categorization. The good news is that we DON'T sell your data. The most we ever do is send an email to our lists on behalf of an ad partner, but really we don't even do that for this site.

Alternatively, it may be due to a content blocker you are running.

As far as an upgrade... sort of. We periodically update the forum software, which we own. Currently it runs vBulletin v3. There are versions beyond that, but we actually don't support them. There's also an issue of the editorial side behaving very poorly with newer patch levels of vB3 (to say nothing of vB4, 5, etc). Ultimately where conflicts exist, we will favor where the traffic is: the forum, not editorial. Whatever happens, we will see how to move forward when a required PHP upgrade occurs in November.

P.S. I second the Dublin love. I stayed in Chapelizod for a little bit and loved the area, as well as the downtown area. Definitely loved going to the pub and seeing everyone cheer on France against England in the football match.

Last edited by IBJoel; 09-29-22 at 11:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Benoit Blanc (09-29-22)
Old 09-29-22, 11:42 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by IBJoel
As an EU resident, you'll have to accept the "Sale of my personal data" cookies (to do so, click on "Manage My Preferences" at the very bottom right of the screen). This is because YouTube/Facebook/Twitter/Instagram do not fall under "our" content and are non-essential, so they go under that cookie categorization. The good news is that we DON'T sell your data. The most we ever do is send an email to our lists on behalf of an ad partner, but really we don't even do that for this site.

Alternatively, it may be due to a content blocker you are running.

As far as an upgrade... sort of. We periodically update the forum software, which we own. Currently it runs vBulletin v3. There are versions beyond that, but we actually don't support them. There's also an issue of the editorial side behaving very poorly with newer patch levels of vB3 (to say nothing of vB4, 5, etc). Ultimately where conflicts exist, we will favor where the traffic is: the forum, not editorial. Whatever happens, we will see how to move forward when a required PHP upgrade occurs in November.

P.S. I second the Dublin love. I stayed in Chapelizod for a little bit and loved the area, as well as the downtown area. Definitely loved going to the pub and seeing everyone cheer on France against England in the football match.
Thanks for all the info! Could you tell me exactly which cookies I'm supposed to accept? I don't see anything that says those exact words, "Sale of my personal data", and I don't want to accept any cookies that aren't absolutely necessary.
Old 09-29-22, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Benoit Blanc
Thanks for all the info! Could you tell me exactly which cookies I'm supposed to accept? I don't see anything that says those exact words, "Sale of my personal data", and I don't want to accept any cookies that aren't absolutely necessary.
Sure! See this screenshot. I believe you should see these buttons, in accordance with CCPA and GDPR

For some reason my screenshots are not saving to my computer, even hours later.
Old 09-29-22, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Oh, finally decided to cooperate. Click where the red arrow points, then match your One Trust window to mine.