Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Feedback Forum Frequently Asked Questions

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Feedback Forum Frequently Asked Questions

Old 02-01-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Well, that worked alright. I just didn't want to deal with those stupid pop-ups again. Oh well, tit for tat I guess.
Old 03-14-04, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does one go about putting multiple quotes from different posts into one reply?
Old 03-14-04, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Copy/paste?

das
Old 03-21-04, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe, but it seems they get the "original post by...." wording that you can't get by just copy/paste.
Old 03-22-04, 02:07 AM
Uber Member

Quote the first post you want to quote from. In the reply box that comes up, you'll see the code to do the quotes as well as the text for the "originally posted by."

Just copy that part for as many quotes as you want to do. Then scroll down the page and you'll see many of the previous posts in reverse order. You can copy and past from there. If the post you want isn't visible, there's a link at the bottom of the page that will show you all the posts in the thread in a seperate window.

There is no automatic way to do this. Even forums that have a Quick Reply feature (which allows you to simply highlight text and then click a button to quote that text in the quick reply window) add the "originally posted by" text you mention.
Old 03-22-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks, Blade!
Old 04-30-04, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts
I know HTML isn't allowed, but does this go for signatures as well? I wanted to change the font color on a part of my signature but I am unable to and I noticed that some members can and some can't - am I doing something wrong or was it once allowed but now done with???

Thanks
Old 04-30-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Rival11
I know HTML isn't allowed, but does this go for signatures as well? I wanted to change the font color on a part of my signature but I am unable to and I noticed that some members can and some can't - am I doing something wrong or was it once allowed but now done with???

Thanks
Use UBB code, not html.

blah

Old 04-30-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally posted by RandyC
Use UBB code, not html.

blah

Thanks!!!
Old 05-01-04, 05:24 AM
Uber Member

Originally posted by Rival11
I know HTML isn't allowed, but does this go for signatures as well?
FYI, HTML is only not allowed in signatures. You can use HTML (within reason) in your regular posts.
Old 05-07-04, 11:41 AM

I can't find anything about who is or is not allowed to post reviews, and how one goes about doing so.

I expect I'll be commenting on other people's reviews more often than posting my own, actually, but I'd still like to know the drill on general principles.
Old 05-07-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
Originally posted by Brahmsian
I can't find anything about who is or is not allowed to post reviews, and how one goes about doing so.
In the <a href="http://dvdtalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=8">DVD Reviews and Recommendations forum</a>, anyone and everyone is encouraged to post their reviews or reply to others with their own comments. It's more common for people to request reviews than to just go ahead and post them, but the latter would definitely be welcomed.
Old 05-08-04, 03:20 PM

If anyone is allowed to post a review, why is there no "Post Review" button on any of the pages I've looked at so far? The "New Thread" button doesn't qualify, IMO, because it doesn't provide any place to put one's ratings except the body of the text, while the actual reviews have the ratings alongside the text.

While I'm here I might as well get something else out of my system. At first glance, the "Movie" rating and the "Replay" rating would seem to be covering the same ground, so what's the difference between them?
Old 05-08-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
Originally posted by Brahmsian
If anyone is allowed to post a review, why is there no "Post Review" button on any of the pages I've looked at so far? The "New Thread" button doesn't qualify, IMO, because it doesn't provide any place to put one's ratings except the body of the text, while the actual reviews have the ratings alongside the text.
Sorry, I misunderstood. There are two places where reviews are posted on DVD Talk. The first is the forum I mentioned -- anyone is welcome to post their own reviews there or reply to what others have posted. The other is <a href="http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/">a dedicated reviews section</a>, which exists separately from the forum, although there is the ability to use the forum to comment on a review. The reviews in that section are penned by a regular stable of writers selected by the site's webmaster, Geoffrey Kleinman. If you're interested in writing reviews, you might want to <a href="http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/contact.php">contact Geoff</a> -- I'm not sure if he's looking for anyone at the moment, but he'll be able to give you more information on that than I can.

While I'm here I might as well get something else out of my system. At first glance, the "Movie" rating and the "Replay" rating would seem to be covering the same ground, so what's the difference between them?
I think the idea is to separate movies that are great to watch once but don't hold up well to repeat viewings...something that makes the difference between a great DVD to rent and a great DVD to own. I'm not a fan of numeric ratings in general and usually assign the same ballpark value to "Replay" as I do to "Movie".
Old 05-15-04, 12:04 AM
Banned

I've tried everything suggested here to get my buttons to appear and the only one which has is the reply with quote one. No edit, new post, etc... I recently upgraded to a Dell pc with Windows xp but I don't have Norton I have McAfee. Still, I've put ads.kleinman.com and kleinman.com in every possible place: McAfee, Checkit86 pop-up blocker and my privacy tab on my pc.

After all that the only way even the reply with quote button shows up is to disable the pop-up blocker. I've tried to disable McAfee but that doesn't work (not that I'd feel comfortable surfing without it). Any other help is seriously appreciated.
Old 05-15-04, 12:12 AM
Banned

I just answered my own question but maybe it can help someone else here. If you have McAfee, you can right-click on the icon in the task bar and disable the privacy service. This still keeps your Firewall running. And I don't even have to disable my pop-up killer now. Thanks, cracksky!
Old 05-20-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Post quantity?

Is there any way to find out how many posts I have made? I am a Member, but there is a huge gap between Member status to Senior Member and I am just curious to see how many I have. Thanks.
Old 05-20-04, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Click on your profile button.
Old 06-11-04, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Feedback Forum Frequently Asked Questions

Originally posted by Blade
New Member - 0
Cool New Member -20
Member - 50
Senior Member - 250
DVD Talk Special Edition - 1000
DVD Talk Gold Edition - 2000
DVD Talk Platinum Edition - 3000
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition - 4000
DVD Talk Limited Edition - 5000
DVD Talk Hall of Fame - 7500
DVD Talk Legend - 10000
DVD Talk Hero - 25000
DVD Talk Godfather - 50000
DVD Talk God - 100000
Hey mods, I've hit my 1000 mark... mind if you guys give me a new rank? I'm sick of being a member. I need to spice up my DVDtalk life.
Old 06-11-04, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks that'll do!
Old 07-19-04, 12:28 PM

Where did the member pictures thread go? Am I too dumb to find it in a search??
Old 07-19-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Part III
Old 07-20-04, 08:35 PM

Uhh...can someone help me out here? For some reason I can't post any new threads and I don't have any reply options except quick reply. Is there a problem? Or am I not the only one seeing this?
Old 07-20-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by fashionvictim86
Uhh...can someone help me out here? For some reason I can't post any new threads and I don't have any reply options except quick reply. Is there a problem? Or am I not the only one seeing this?
From this very thread:
MISSING BUTTONS
All of the forum icon graphics have been moved to the ads.kleinman.com server. If you are blocking ads servers, then you won't be able to see the post new thread/reply to thread buttons and other buttons or icons. You'll need to exempt ads.kleinman.com (and/or kleinman.com) from your ad blocker.

Also, we removed the Members button from the line of buttons in the top right of every forum (it was with the other gray buttons: user cp, register, faq, search). Mostly because of concerns that spam companies were using it to get our member's email addresses.

Missing Buttons if Your Use Norton Internet Security
Apparently when using Norton Internet Security 2003, it's not as simple as just 'adding a site' to allow things through.

From NIS, click the Options button and select Internet Security.
Go to the Web Content tab.

If DVDTalk is not in the tree, add it.
The default global settings are:
Information about your browser: Use Default Settings: Permit
Information about visited sites: Use Default Settings: Block
Animated images: Use Default Settings: Permit
Scripts: Use Default Settings: Permit
Flash animation: Use Default Settings: Permit

The default user settings are:
Cookies: Use Default Settings: Permit
Java applets: Use Default Settings: Permit
ActiveX Controls: Use Default Settings: Permit
Pop-up ads: Use Default Settings: Permit

**Here's the kicker:**
In the Ad Blocking tab:
Click the Add... button.
Select the Permit radio button.
Key ads.kleinman.com in the text box.
Click Ok

Click Ok on the Options window.

Refresh the DVDTalk IE window.

The buttons appear.
Old 07-20-04, 08:51 PM

Ok, I finally got it to work. I only restarted about 20 times.

Last edited by fashionvictim86; 07-20-04 at 09:59 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.